d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, d.p said:

I like that one but the problem is I already have 2 holes for the OEM mirror so my only choice is the same OEM mirror or add 3 more holes to my door because I doubt the two existing holes line up with the 3 on that 510 mirror. Pic below is from when I first got the truck and it had no side mirror glass.  

31029342575_425e2cc875_z.jpg

Roeberk makes a replacement mirror that almost duplicates the factory Datsun ones.  It even fits the factory installed door mount plate.  I said "almost" bercause it improves on the original by having the tensioning screw for mirror adjust fixing on the back of the mirror arm, not under the whole mount [you have to remove the factory mirror to access the internal locking screw].  Externally except for the visible locking screw it duplicates the fit and function of the original door mounted mirror.  Just go to an auto parts store and look for the round replaacement Roeberk.

Alternately there are several replacement mirrors [only] that might be the correct diameter.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

somebody can fix that

I would use that one you have on your truck

cant the hole that holds the screw behind the glass is destroyed. Dumbest design ever IMHO. 

• Like 1

And the one I have now has glass but the screw hole/sleeve behind the glass holding it upright and allowing it to articulate is split open so it’s completely limp.  I’ve already had to break one piece of glass to get to the screw and then get another one made.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

I paid $400 for a pair of NOS mirrors. Stuff is getting harder and harder to find. Prices continue to rise.

Taiwan makes most of that NOS stuff now. Even the correct part numbers and the aged looking packaging.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mainer311 said:

Mine were in original boxes. They even have the spring-loaded bucket and mechanism on the bottom. 

come on dude don’t tease me like that.  Show me what you got. Unless they’re fender mirrors then don’t show me cause I loathe them on a truck. 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I was correcting my post while you were posting. If lucky you got a good quality re-pop. Most are not. Spring loaded were for fender mounting no?

Mike, you’re always about 12 posts behind the conversation. They’re completely legit. Even had Nissan symbol stampings on them.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

I'm guessing it's closed due to co-vid.

Saying NOS is unicorn rare. Rare, not non existent. Anywhere from 20-50% of museum paintings are forgeries. Why not antique car parts. A counterfeit 'vintage' NOS 510 tie rod has got to be worth more than a counterfeit Chevy Nova tie rod. Same amount went into making them. China is pretty good at it.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, d.p said:

Alright fuck those then.   

This is the one I really want but the doucher is asking $250 for it, he took offense to my offer of $50.  

172276927_5573995395976309_3014611607574

He knows you own and drive a BMW and your wife a Mercedes, He wants to drive them also!!!  LOL

• Like 1

I have found over the decades I have been enjoying Datsun trucks that if you find an OEM NOS part that you want you better buy it as next week the price will be higher. 

d.p how much cash did you piss away trying to get an alternator?

My step mother is always passing on buying something she wants thinking she will find it cheaper and ends up going back to get it and it will be sold.  This saves my father a lot of money!!!  LOL

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

In total? $60 and I ended up with a free brand new alternator after Amazon screwed up my order.  I returned all the ones that didn’t work (2 x rock auto 1 x autozone and 1 x Amazon) fit so in the end it really only cost me my time and labor.  

I agree I should just buy that mirror because I saw a couple on eBay a little while ago that sold for much less and I didn’t do shit.  I do the same try and get the best deal and then up paying more lol.  

• Like 1
Just now, john510 said:

I'm wondering if returning four bad alternators from several vendors means the alternator isn't the problem ? 

Shit man I thought about that through all this but was sure there was nothing to it. 

And they all weren’t bad,  Autozone didn’t fit at all as it was too big even though it was for a 200sx.  Out of the 3 RockAuto (all reman’d AC delco) only 1 would actually charge albeit loudly.  I never installed the Amazon one and it’s sitting on a shelf so maybe it will work or maybe it won’t.  I thought about installing it tomorrow just for shits and gigs.  

Now that I think about it it may have been the belt wasn’t tight enough or the fuses were blown.  I tightened the shit out of it and replaced every fuse after I got the original one tested.  

• Like 1

I am told the 720 Z24 block mounted alternator bracket moves the alternator up toward the water neck making more room for a larger alternator.  I think that is the style bracket on my L20B in my 66 520.   The block alternator bracket mounting holes are the same on the L20B,the Z20, Z22, and the Z24.  I do not remember if the L16 and L18 blocks are the same but I believe they are.  I am also running the 280zx water inlet neck that has a threaded hole instead of a cast in hose nipple.

BlpvIKgB2kKGrHqUH-DkEttFPlWZWBLcgWK.jpg

This combination I was able to get a 100 amp Saturn alternator in my 66 520 with the 66 chassis still under it.  I did not have much movement for tightening the belt is why I chose to go with a 60amp 280Z alternator.

• Like 1