My 1971 521

d.p

He said to just tighten them down.  The dudes on Church of L said to use rubber isolators and a spring washers behind the nut holding the isolators to the intake manifold to help with lessening the vibration to the carbs which allows those jets to come loose.  

Spring washers on ebay: tinyurl.com/4shz4z6f and these isolators: tinyurl.com/5773p543

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing is for sure you ask 20 Datsun enthusiasts what the best way is to do something and you will get 20 different opinions.  lol. jets have yet to back out as of late and I have been driving the truck an awful lot so I doubt I am going to change anything right now.   

One thing I did notice is that if I have my headlights on at idle the RPMs drop slightly.  If I turn them off idle returns to normal, if I turn my headlights on while driving no issues so I still think there is something amiss with my alternator and I am about a day away from buying that $500 alternator Ray was talking about if this keeps up.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, d.p said:

One thing is for sure you ask 20 Datsun enthusiasts what the best way is to do something and you will get 20 different opinions.  lol. jets have yet to back out as of late and I have been driving the truck an awful lot so I doubt I am going to change anything right now.   

One thing I did notice is that if I have my headlights on at idle the RPMs drop slightly.  If I turn them off idle returns to normal, if I turn my headlights on while driving no issues so I still think there is something amiss with my alternator and I am about a day away from buying that $500 alternator Ray was talking about if this keeps up.  

No, that's pretty normal. Headlights draw a lot of current and the alternator doesn't generate power for free.  Same probably happens if you turn on your heater fan.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, d.p said:

Thing is if they fall out you know the signs and what to do.  If, they fall out then apply a correction.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, d.p said:

One thing I did notice is that if I have my headlights on at idle the RPMs drop slightly.  If I turn them off idle returns to normal, if I turn my headlights on while driving no issues so I still think there is something amiss with my alternator

Nothing wrong!!!!!!!!!!thats normal    when you add a load to the alternator it gets harder to turn at idle. reved up you dont notice it cause the motor rpm is up.

all old cars do this with small alternators. or just at idle.

newer cars they designed this out buy the lates 70s. Bigger alt Fuel injection  ect.....

when I get a newer neg batt cable I will get one with the extra wire for the gorund and bolt to the chassis. or add a ground from the bloc to the chassis. this might help.  My 510 has this issue as the volts drop but batter is in trunk. and need to maybe add another ground

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Nothing wrong!!!!!!!!!!thats normal    when you add a load to the alternator it gets harder to turn at idle. reved up you dont notice it cause the motor rpm is up.

all old cars do this with small alternators. or just at idle.

newer cars they designed this out buy the lates 70s. Bigger alt Fuel injection  ect.....

when I get a newer neg batt cable I will get one with the extra wire for the gorund and bolt to the chassis. or add a ground from the bloc to the chassis. this might help.  My 510 has this issue as the volts drop but batter is in trunk. and need to maybe add another ground

I have 2 negative cables off my battery, one to the block and one to the firewall, how much difference it makes I have no idea.  

• Like 1

Got my Carb socks and my Nardi wheel. Socks are cool and I don’t mind the look.  

Wheel is titties and feels so much better than the stock bus wheel.  Unfortunate part is the grant to Nardi adapter I bought isn’t deep enough (1/2”) to fit the horn so I got to order another one (1”). @Greaser2 made me a truck grant adapter and a grant to Nardi adapter on top of that leaves 0 gap. 

A03F69AD-7336-428C-B6EB-C57403E9E72D.jpeg

My wheels look tiny. I think it needs to be lower. I have 720 4x4 leafs but wondering what to do in the front?  Not sure I can go any lower without riding on the bump stops.  Can you do coilovers without much work in the front? 

01D31040-1B0C-4243-8EBC-96C878A07666.jpeg

• Like 1