My 1967 RL411 Station Wagon - Canby or Bust!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ya, I'm interested to see whats under the cover on the back. The car must have gotten reupholstered if what you say is correct, not that I'm doubting, but I wonder if it was dealer optioned or something? 

I can have one made I am fairly sure. If not, it will be getting KA as the car will stay an automatic with column shift.   :)

Of course if I can't get it to hold it's fluids in, as seems to be a known issue with these transmissions, it will be getting a KA. 

So we will see, I'll do what I can to keep the stock drive train but at some point parts availability will make the decision. 

So take it to a Volvo dealer!  In tow of course!  They should have the authorized proceedure to properly adjust the shift cable length [and just might have to part number to order a correct replacement]  By the way, the WRL411 and RL411 engine block has a recepticle moulded into the lower Left [and possible the lower right] rear of the engine casting to receive the shift cross member of the column mounted complicated gear shift assembly.  A companion shaft receptical is on the front right engine subframe.  Both sides?  After all this transmission was designed for the Austin engine family and has shift attachment transverse shaft exposed on both sides of the transmission case.

Edited by MikeRL411
  • Like 2

I worked at a Volvo dealer. We had the books for old Volvo's.. but it would be realllllly hard for us to pull this in to look at it. Oldest Volvo I saw come through was like 80's.. the entire 3 years I was there. And this is Eugene.. lol

You'd have a lot better luck at an independent Volvo shop. But even then, they might turn it away.

So take it to a Volvo dealer!  In tow of course!  They should have the authorized proceedure to properly adjust the shift cable length [and just might have to part number to order a correct replacement]  By the way, the WRL411 and RL411 engine block has a recepticle moulded into the lower Left [and possible the lower right] rear of the engine casting to receive the shift cross member of the column mounted complicated gear shift assembly.  A companion shaft receptical is on the front right engine subframe.  Both sides?  After all this transmission was designed for the Austin engine family and has shift attachment transverse shaft exposed on both sides of the transmission case.

Good call on the cable. Now to get one and see if it is the correct length.  :cool: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gemo-Auto-Trans-Detent-Cable-fits-1965-1974-Volvo-142-144-145-1800-/221853065211?fits=Make%3AVolvo%7CModel%3A142&hash=item33a7791ffb:g:Rx4AAOSwmtJXVGTI&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Found a pdf of the Volvo service manuals but they don't appear to show the adjustment procedure. May just purchase one to have in my shop library.  :)

http://www.volvotips.com/service-manual/volvo-140/Volvo-140-service-manual-1974-4-transmission-rear-axle-part2.html

I'd rather know how to do this myself. :)
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Got that cable in, looks like volvo went straight up to the back of the linkage. It's a couple feet too short, as the stock one runs up and around to the middle of the linkage. I should be able to get one made with the new components or maybe an extension made. I should have the cable out tonight. Need to pick up some stubby wrenches and maybe some flare nut wrenches to get to the threaded portion that's holding it in the trans.

Nastyness

IMG_4409_zps1au5frxp.jpg

So clean inside though :cool:

You can see where the cable attaches on the right.

IMG_4447_zpshoxczgpw.jpg

Teardown for repairs.

IMG_4410_zpsdwfnrtef.jpg

Fucked this thing with some heat. Actually got the pin to slide out. :lol:

IMG_4452_zpsikw4jpui.jpg

Hopefully I can get some new choke cables built from this.

IMG_4411_zpsqsjhfk50.jpg

Need to find a new grommet... I'm sure that will be entertaining to source.

IMG_4412_zps1t9jfuyj.jpg

Will need some repair work on the control panel as well.

IMG_4413_zps7lkr8fy3.jpg

Some shots of the brake lines for reference. First car I've seen where the fronts aren't symmetrical :confused:

Driver

IMG_4407_zpsr7rpoyin.jpg

Passenger

IMG_4406_zps0cwdw8vo.jpg

Rear

IMG_4402_zpsbmilvquz.jpg

:poop:

IMG_4403_zpsxpkokn9f.jpg

Found this bit of lovelyness as well... looks like it might be some factory ratsun. :lol:

IMG_4448_zpsfxfmlpuo.jpg

IMG_4450_zpscfqdil5r.jpg

IMG_4454_zpszvxnjv8a.jpg

Anyone know what's going on there? :geek:

• Like 1

FYI, this looks exactly like the 510 SSS cable, which last I checked could still be bought new at the dealer. Also comes with that same grommet. 

Excellent I will look into that, do you know a good year range so I look like I know what I'm talking about? :lol: 

• Like 1

Damn that was a tight spot. The cable didn't want too rotate so I had to turn the wrench the stand up and turn the disintegrating cable. 

Found the perfect wrench in my drawer though. It's the cut off end of the one of the wrenches I used as t-case shifters in the green 620.  :D

IMG_4515_zps1lpsywfn.jpg

my custom stubby wrench  :lol:

IMG_4517_zpsmufhixkd.jpg

Cable comparison with the 74 Volvo one I got for $40. 

Volvo on top, Datsun on the bottom.

IMG_4516_zpsgjuexqkx.jpg

Volvo on top, Datsun on the bottom. Transmission side, the nut on the Volvo is 11/16 (17mm) the one on the Datsun is 3/4 (19mm). Threads are the same though. 

IMG_4518_zpscv3myo0e.jpg.

Volvo on top, Datsun on the bottom. Carb linkage end, the hole for the pin is smaller on the Volvo one, but other than that they look identical. 

IMG_4519_zpswav8oupu.jpg

Will stop at Greensheilds after work and see if they can replicate the Datsun one, modify the Volvo one or recommend someone that can do either.

• Like 3

2eDeYe" post="1414627" timestamp="1472651787"]

Volvo on top, Datsun on the bottom. Carb linkage end, the hole for the pin is smaller on the Volvo one, but other than that they look identical. 

IMG_4519_zpswav8oupu.jpg

Will stop at Greensheilds after work and see if they can replicate the Datsun one, modify the Volvo one or recommend someone that can do either.

I knew i had seen a thing like that before...

It was at my grandmas when i was a kid.

288DFAFD00000578-3076716-The_stork_toy_h

• Like 1

2eDeYe" post="1413784" timestamp="1472396059"]

Got that cable in, looks like volvo went straight up to the back of the linkage. It's a couple feet too short, as the stock one runs up and around to the middle of the linkage. I should be able to get one made with the new components or maybe an extension made. I should have the cable out tonight. Need to pick up some stubby wrenches and maybe some flare nut wrenches to get to the threaded portion that's holding it in the trans.

Nastyness

IMG_4409_zps1au5frxp.jpg

So clean inside though :cool:

You can see where the cable attaches on the right.

IMG_4447_zpshoxczgpw.jpg

Teardown for repairs.

IMG_4410_zpsdwfnrtef.jpg

Fucked this thing with some heat. Actually got the pin to slide out. :lol:

IMG_4452_zpsikw4jpui.jpg

Hopefully I can get some new choke cables built from this.

IMG_4411_zpsqsjhfk50.jpg

Need to find a new grommet... I'm sure that will be entertaining to source.

IMG_4412_zps1t9jfuyj.jpg

Will need some repair work on the control panel as well.

IMG_4413_zps7lkr8fy3.jpg

Some shots of the brake lines for reference. First car I've seen where the fronts aren't symmetrical :confused:

Driver

IMG_4407_zpsr7rpoyin.jpg

Passenger

IMG_4406_zps0cwdw8vo.jpg

Rear

IMG_4402_zpsbmilvquz.jpg

:poop:

IMG_4403_zpsxpkokn9f.jpg

Found this bit of lovelyness as well... looks like it might be some factory ratsun. :lol:

IMG_4448_zpsfxfmlpuo.jpg

IMG_4450_zpscfqdil5r.jpg

IMG_4454_zpszvxnjv8a.jpg

Anyone know what's going on there? :geek:

Last 3 pix.  "Somebody" has replaced the stock pre muffler / resonator with a USA domestic. probably "universal" muffler and buggered up the stock resonator and original exhaust line with clamps and a wild imagination.  Note the sloppy weld connection between USA standard exhaust diameter and the thinner DATSUN exhaust pipe.  Most of the original exhaust hanger may be there, can't see the passenger side.

• Like 1

If you or a trusted designate could attend the JCCS show this September, I have an RL411front exhaust pipe hanger that I rebuilt [before I found an authentic factory unit (those were the days)] and replaced it with the new unit.  Let me know if you or someone else is willing to pick this rebuilt unit next month or I will not toss it into my trunk.  Just look for the Torquose RL411 license CA "67RL411", I may be the only RL411 sedan there!  Again, no reply, no unit in the trunk.

No charge!  Pay it forward!  I just gave away a spare under dash cluster console for the choke, wiper, and lights switch.  We need to keep thse jewels out of the scrapper yards and on the road!

• Like 1

If you or a trusted designate could attend the JCCS show this September, I have an RL411front exhaust pipe hanger that I rebuilt [before I found an authentic factory unit (those were the days)] and replaced it with the new unit.  Let me know if you or someone else is willing to pick this rebuilt unit next month or I will not toss it into my trunk.  Just look for the Torquose RL411 license CA "67RL411", I may be the only RL411 sedan there!  Again, no reply, no unit in the trunk.

No charge!  Pay it forward!  I just gave away a spare under dash cluster console for the choke, wiper, and lights switch.  We need to keep thse jewels out of the scrapper yards and on the road!

I'll be in New Zealand, not sure if anyone local is going to the show. Thanks for the offer though. :)

Last 3 pix.  "Somebody" has replaced the stock pre muffler / resonator with a USA domestic. probably "universal" muffler and buggered up the stock resonator and original exhaust line with clamps and a wild imagination.  Note the sloppy weld connection between USA standard exhaust diameter and the thinner DATSUN exhaust pipe.  Most of the original exhaust hanger may be there, can't see the passenger side.

Do you have any pictures of your car in that area?

I was rooting through the parts stash tonight looking for something specific, and then quite randomly came across this...    :rofl:

6oeyw4.jpg

:rofl: That's how that always works 

I sourced one for $6, I haven't pulled the trigger yet though as I want to look into cable options first. If nothing else the choke cable looks easy enough to rebuild with standard bike stuff. 

http://www.datsunparts.com/1806

Pulled a brake line to check thread sizes. 

IMG_4523_zpsbmf5ktya.jpg

That's the die that runs freely on the threads. :)

IMG_4524_zpskrxl8cis.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be in New Zealand, not sure if anyone local is going to the show. Thanks for the offer though. :)

Do you have any pictures of your car in that area?

:rofl: That's how that always works 

No!  I replaced the original hanger too many years ago before the luxury of photo option mobile cams and do not want to dissassemble for the sake of an late request!  The original hanger that I offered is guaranteed to fit since I removed it from my original factory RL411 sedan.  Late owner butchery is not my responserability! 

• Like 1