My 1967 RL411 Station Wagon - Canby or Bust!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be interested in that, was it in decent shape? My fixes likely won't last very long. 

I did scan the gasket and am thinking about maybe building my own, but I still haven't ruled out a KA swap. :devil: 

Having conversations on here and on facebook is weird... Not sure if the same people are having the same conversations. 

I'm talking with Tom and Ali-Reza there and you guys here and not sure of who is who in either place or what.   :lol:

I did PM gcmustang about some parts on mklotz suggestion, also erichwaslike. No luck though so far. Suppose I should start a list and post it here for reference and get some wanted ads going. 

I dont think Greg has much parts left.....maybe some

Ya know, I had picked up an r16 out of a 411 a few years back for the nl320. The buyer didn't want the engine when I sold the nl, so I parted the engine out, there's a chance may still have the exhaust manifold.

Would you have a radiator? 

I would build a custom midsump oil pan (like a 510 style pan) for the KA rather than that tube box frame, if you want to retain the ability to return "easily" to stock. Add an oil cooler if too much oil capacity is lost.

Then I would build motor mounts that bolt to the original frame mounts and extend backward along the frame rail to mount the ka. Let the back of that mount hang on the frame rail and bolt to it to so its not a cantilevered mount.

Of course, these ideas are based on looking at picson my phone. Clearly that makes me an expert... Reality may make these ideas utterly pointless and/or ridiculous.

The turbo manifold for routing the exhaust out the fenderwell is pure genius.

• Like 1

This guy did a KA24E swap, and a KA24DE swap later: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28644-project411-sss-r16-to-ka24e-swap/page-1

.... looks like a tight fit, but might be perfect with Miata suspension and a rear sump oil pan ... :devil:

Yeah not a fan of the cross member mods there. The rear sump looks like the way to go for sure. 

I would build a custom midsump oil pan (like a 510 style pan) for the KA rather than that tube box frame, if you want to retain the ability to return "easily" to stock. Add an oil cooler if too much oil capacity is lost.

Then I would build motor mounts that bolt to the original frame mounts and extend backward along the frame rail to mount the ka. Let the back of that mount hang on the frame rail and bolt to it to so its not a cantilevered mount.

Of course, these ideas are based on looking at picson my phone. Clearly that makes me an expert... Reality may make these ideas utterly pointless and/or ridiculous.

The turbo manifold for routing the exhaust out the fenderwell is pure genius.

Well see how it goes when we get there :D

• Like 2

Found lug nuts that work with the ZX wheels.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=24379&SEName=611-101

IMG_3230_zps3nzlms7m.jpg

IMG_3229_zpsc8fo3hki.jpg

IMG_3231_zpscolcpigw.jpg

IMG_3232_zpsksemh4dw.jpg

Also found out the centers need to be opened up a little to clear the hubs. You can see rub marks in these pics.

IMG_3224_zpsfnwud6ov.jpg

IMG_3225_zpsot08m3tv.jpg

...and now for another game of which one is stock?

I have 2 types of wheels. 2 of the red ones and 4 of the rusty ones. I am hoping for the rusty ones so I can have a nice set of stockers to swap on whenevah. :cool:

Anyone know?

IMG_3226_zpsoel1ruwg.jpg

Red has cap hooks

IMG_3227_zps24kixh8b.jpg

Rusty has cap bulges.

IMG_3228_zpsuyog519g.jpg

Took another couple pics of the rear damage to add to the stock or modified decision matrix. I assume this is supposed to be nice and rounded. It's all pretty wacked out currently :lol:

IMG_3235_zpsbncunb9u.jpg

IMG_3237_zpsbu2koc3w.jpg

IMG_3233_zps9jp4hub7.jpg

Back clip swap may be in order...if one is ever available...

ZX wheels are gettin dropped off tomorrow to get refaced and the bores open to clear the hubs. Excited to see all 4 on the car at once. :D

• Like 3

Found lug nuts that work with the ZX wheels. 

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=24379&SEName=611-101

Snug fit in the lug nut holes? I know the ZX lug nuts are a tiny bit different sized shank than most aftermarket lug nuts. 

Thinking about ZX wheels for my Roadster if I can find some snowflakes, but couldn't figure out what to do for lug nuts without digging for metric studs that fit...

• Like 2

Ya, it's the washers that are really doing the work of centering in the counter bore. The lugs themselves only go in the bore a little, mimicking the stock style, they apply all the clamping force against the washer SF in the counter bore. 

They showed up as fitting a 520 with a factory alloy. Never could find that reference again though, too many different search word combinations later when I decided to test them. :rofl: 

• Like 1

Ya, it's the washers that are really doing the work of centering in the counter bore. The lugs themselves only go in the bore a little, mimicking the stock style, they apply all the clamping force against the washer SF in the counter bore. 

Do you feel like there's enough thread engagement with the shorter shanks? Did you happen to count the turns? 

Snug fit in the lug nut holes? I know the ZX lug nuts are a tiny bit different sized shank than most aftermarket lug nuts.

Thinking about ZX wheels for my Roadster if I can find some snowflakes, but couldn't figure out what to do for lug nuts without digging for metric studs that fit...

For what it's worth, see post #49 for my approach to the lug fitment issue. Haven't had any issues.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39143-lockleafs-720-shenanigans/page-3

• Like 1

Pretty sure it's the red ones.....they match what was on Greg's 411SSS

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18488-gcmustangs-67-411sss/

Agree, red ones, take dog dish caps, smaller than the 510 caps.

Bummer, how hard are they to get a hold of? How hard is to find the dog dish caps?

For what it's worth, see post #49 for my approach to the lug fitment issue. Haven't had any issues.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39143-lockleafs-720-shenanigans/page-3

Those function a little differently and use the the shoulder of the lug to center the wheel. I have the same style for my turbines. You can use these for the ZX wheels but the shanks have to be shortened and the washer has to be the same outer diameter as the ones I am using. 

I'm learning all sorts of lug nut tech every time I try to run another set of wheels.  :lol: 

My original RL411 sedan came with grey wheels and the "dog dish" clips even though the RL411 was factory equipped with full "Port hole" 1500 roadster type full wheel cover discs. For what it's worth, I have a full set of the 13 inch 310 roadster, or FWD 310, sedan wheels,  No dog dish clips, so likely roadster, but don't know what versions finally descended on the FWD 310 series.

I'm learning all sorts of lug nut tech every time I try to run another set of wheels.   :lol:

FYI, asked the same question on the Roadster forum and was sent this link:

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Toyota_Lexus_OEM_Style_Mag_Lug_Nuts_7_16_p/5001t.htm

Identical to the stock 280ZX/300ZX lug nuts, except they are 311/411 thread pitch.   :thumbup:

• Like 1