gcmustangs 67 411sss

gcmustang

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're off to a good start and have a lot of work ahead of you! My hat's off to you. The original outside door mirrors are round, not streamlined. The bumperettes and license plate lamp housing will be hard to find. The white stripe was a previous owner add-on, original paint jobs were monochromatic. The wheels were not body color, they were grey. Both chrome beauty stripes below the doors are missing, most customizers throw them away. See "Tana the Dtasun Lady" aka Vindats on this site for needed parts, she has many of the parts you will need. Good luck, these cars are well worth preserving. I bought mine new, so I am in a "preserve" as opposed to "restore" mode.

Man, it's weird to see "my" car on here. The rust was like that when i got it, the floors and trunk are in really good condition. It started going downhill when the engine cooked itself (massive crack in the block, Klotz might still have it lying around). Also purchased a roadster and well to be honest i quickly forgot about the 411, i'm really glad to see Greg is going to town on the car it deserves better attention than i gave it. Keep us updated.

Isn't it great to have an on-site donor? Didn't know about the wagon. Now if only the 410 wagon had the same tail lights and lenses! I'm guessing the wagon has the keyhole shaped lights.

He actually got 2 new tail lenses with the sale and some tie rod ends, a couple of ball joints and a heap of spares that went the car so hopefully there is enough there to get it on the road. I need to change my name seeing as i don't have a 67411sss anymore.

• 5 weeks later...

The 410 does have key hole shaped lights but I actually have the correct ones for the RL, they are just not mounted on the car. All parts will be stripped off before body work and paint is done so no sense re-mounting them yet.

Greg

Well the rockers are getting cut out today. New metal to follow. Pictures of the replacements will come hopefully tomorrow when I get my camera back

Well I took some pictures today of the Driver side Rockers as we were working on them. Driver side all cut out and patches from the donor car were installed. Now some grinding and minor filling.

DSC01589.jpg

Above is rocker under driver side rear door with rust cut out.

DSC01590.jpg

More on driver side rear with piece tacked in.

DSC01597.jpg

New metal beinf tacked in the rear

DSC01591.jpg

Donor rocker cut out

DSC01601.jpg

Welding part in

DSC01599.jpg

Drivers front with first pass of grinder. Some fine sanding and little filler will be required

• 2 weeks later...

Starting on the stripping paint off of the car. Fenders have been patched and stripped, hood stripped, front valance stripped. Body work is next. I am looking for ideas as to what color I should paint the car. Anybody have any ideas as to what color would look good?

Starting on the stripping paint off of the car. Fenders have been patched and stripped, hood stripped, front valance stripped. Body work is next. I am looking for ideas as to what color I should paint the car. Anybody have any ideas as to what color would look good?

I am partial to Nissan 562, the color of my 411. Depending on the year and model it was called "Light Blue", "Tourquoise" and looks a lot like "Pacific Blue".

I am partial to Nissan 562, the color of my 411. Depending on the year and model it was called "Light Blue", "Tourquoise" and looks a lot like "Pacific Blue".

Thanks, I was thinking of a light blue like my roadster but wife doesnt like that color. Any pics of your so I can see the blue on a 411?

Body work done on fenders, hood, valance. Tomorrow I squirt the first coat of primer.

Thanks, I was thinking of a light blue like my roadster but wife doesnt like that color. Any pics of your so I can see the blue on a 411?

I dumped my photos of the Rl411, hope this is what you need to visualize the 41 in "maybe torquoise or light blue". When I bought it, the paperwork only had the color code number, so the motor vehicle office and i decide that it was close to "blue" than "green" or "torquoise" so it has been "blue" ever since.

Body work done on fenders, hood, valance. Tomorrow I squirt the first coat of primer.

Rear

ip7ejs.jpg

Front

veu060.jpg

Engine

2yowv86.jpg

Alt front

34gu1s6.jpg

Interior

acbuq8.jpg

• Like 1

By the way, the Battery hold down is an aftermarket Honda anodized aluminum one. Looks good but corrodes easilt. The factory holddown is plain twisted wire with welded flanges to grip the battery.

The dash clock is not original but is in factory position. Although listed and illustrated as an option, I have never seen a factory clock in a 410 or 411, but I am sure that somewhere in the USA or Canada someone actually got one installed. Since the clock connection under the dash is an "essential" connection i.e. always on, I used it to connect my radio so that it would play with the ignition "off".

The "third stop light" is an LED JCWhitney add on. I got sick and tired of teen-age drivers [usually with earbuds in or texting on their cell phones] panic stopping behind me because they thought that all cars always had high mounted third stop signals.

Shes a beauty. Maybe someday mine will be as nice but it is a longs way off. Thanks for the pictures. The blue sure looks good.

Greg

DSC01622.jpg

DSC01623.jpg

These are the rocker that was totally rotted through. You could see grond by looking dowm from the top.

DSC01614.jpg

This is a fender with patches installed and a little grinding done. The next is of fender after bodywork and fisrt coat of primer.

DSC01615.jpg

More primerd parts.

DSC01616.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

DSC01618.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

DSC01620.jpg

Today the drivers 1/4 panel gets worked on.

You are doing super good work! A hint to prevent Mother Nature from spoiling the reassembled good job. There is a rubber gasket that comes factory installed between the front fenders and the body shell, and a fender liner / deflector behind the front headlight assembly. The fender liner is probably a "cut from old black plastic floor mat and install as best you can". You just might be lucky and have your originals, or maybe a 520 or 521 might have some. You can imitate the fender to body gasket by building up strips of electricians rubber tape [it's used to insulate splices in telephone cables and other wires]. It's not friction tape. It comes in rolls with red plastic between the layers so it won't stick to itself, it sticks to the body sheet metal and deforms just enough to form a good seal to the fenders. This is what I did to my car but I can't show pictures without disassembling the car, so just trust your eye if you go this way.