Project:411 SSS R16 to KA24e Swap

Datsun411SSS

So ive decided to take on a big project, I was able to pick up a ka24e complete swap for $350 in which i have planned in putting in in my 411 SSS. The original motor is for sale in the for sale section. I was looking around to see if anyone has done any kind of swaps for these cars but but didnt find any results. Does anyone know or have done any kind of swaps on these cars that can give me pointers to make the swap a little easier? I will be posting my progress here as soon as the R16 motor and trans sale and the wrenching begins.

UPDATE: I organized my photos in Photobucket and messed up all the links on my posts. Here is the link to my album which has all the pictures and maybe more of what was posted.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/blackstang97/Datsun%20KA%20Swap/

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are probably going to have a major issue with the exhaust. As I remember, the RL411 exhaust routes through the driver's side fender wall. Not sure how you will deal with that....

Also, I remember seeing your car at JCCS...It is currently a 4spd, correct? I'd leave it stock if you can, since there are so few surviving 4spd RLs left.

• 2 weeks later...

I love a good engine swap, but doing it in a 410/411 is a major challenge. The engine compartment is so small it makes a roadster or 510 space seem cavernous. Heck, to fit the roadster R16 (like yours), Nissan had to shorten the water pump to clear the radiator, angle the intake manifold so the air cleaner would clear the driver's fender, route the exhaust through the fender to clear the steering, and create a different oil pan to clear the huge, funky front cross-member.

Many people have talked about swapping something newer; some have even started a project. The 67 411 wagon w/ CA18DET project for sale has massive modifications and fabrication. Jesse (aka jfbrink) did a lot of measuring and modelling only to discover it's gonna be a bitch. IIRC, Jesse abandoned his original idea of swapping in a Miata motor, and is going electric.

I know of only -TWO- completed, running swaps: a '65 410 wagon in Vancouver, WA w/ an A12 (might be an A14), and my '66 wagon w/ a L20b done by a PO.....and mine is a hack job: sawzalled cross-member, angle iron motor mounts and butchered wiring. Unless I can resolve the wiper motor mounting issue, I'll be replacing the L20b with a R16. What wiper issue you ask? Just look:

wipermotormount.jpg

Notice how the L valve cover covers the wiper motor mounting bracket attachment points? Even if I can resolve that, I still need to pull the motor/trans to properly redo the engine and tranny mounts so the engine sits/tilts correctly.

Anyway, think long and hard before committing to a swap. Maybe just stroking the R16 to 2 litres is all you need.

Regards,

Pete

About 15 years ago while having my 411 serviced at the old Torrance Nissan in Torrance CA the service technician told me that he had put an A12 in an old PL411 for his daughter. The original J13 was toast. He said it was an adventure but he had the resources of the dealership and the parts department in Nissan Headquarters in Gardena going for him. Bottom line, you can do this swap but odd parts may be hard to find.

I've always thought a crossflow design engine would be the best swap for the 411. Carbs/ induction on the passengers side (away from the master cylinders and the exhaust exiting the original hole in the wheel well. The KA24 is a crossflow right?

On a side note, has anyone investigated a downdraft manifold for the IDF type Weber for the 411?. I came across an L series on craigslist a while ago that had IDF carbs on it and it seems like that would work on a 411 nicely ( plenty of room height wise and room for the air cleaner on the rear carb, just throwing it out there.

I love a good engine swap, but doing it in a 410/411 is a major challenge. The engine compartment is so small it makes a roadster or 510 space seem cavernous. Heck, to fit the roadster R16 (like yours), Nissan had to shorten the water pump to clear the radiator, angle the intake manifold so the air cleaner would clear the driver's fender, route the exhaust through the fender to clear the steering, and create a different oil pan to clear the huge, funky front cross-member.

Many people have talked about swapping something newer; some have even started a project. The 67 411 wagon w/ CA18DET project for sale has massive modifications and fabrication. Jesse (aka jfbrink) did a lot of measuring and modelling only to discover it's gonna be a bitch. IIRC, Jesse abandoned his original idea of swapping in a Miata motor, and is going electric.

I know of only -TWO- completed, running swaps: a '65 410 wagon in Vancouver, WA w/ an A12 (might be an A14), and my '66 wagon w/ a L20b done by a PO.....and mine is a hack job: sawzalled cross-member, angle iron motor mounts and butchered wiring. Unless I can resolve the wiper motor mounting issue, I'll be replacing the L20b with a R16. What wiper issue you ask? Just look:

wipermotormount.jpg

Notice how the L valve cover covers the wiper motor mounting bracket attachment points? Even if I can resolve that, I still need to pull the motor/trans to properly redo the engine and tranny mounts so the engine sits/tilts correctly.

Anyway, think long and hard before committing to a swap. Maybe just stroking the R16 to 2 litres is all you need.

Regards,

Pete

Thank you for your post Pete, I know its gonna be one heck of a job to complete the swap. I measured both motors and they're not that much different as far as length goes but the smallest thing can make the whole swap almost impossible due to the limited room to work with... I will begin it in about 2-3 weeks once this rain completely goes away... I will post my progress as soon as i get it started.

nice. keep posting pics :o

is the crossmember welded to the frame on the 411s?

kinda.... its a subframe in the front that has all the suspension mounts and motor mounts on it, unbolts with 4 bolts but yes the crossmember is not rebovable from that frame chunk

Well i made some more progress this weekend and everything is looking good this far... no major head aches or things to make us stop... see the pictures below..

had to cut out completely the crossmember to due the oil pan being on the front...
IMG00201-20110312-1615.jpgIMAG0026.jpg[/url]

the test fitting began and didnt have many problems other than the windhield wiper motor plate... will be modifying it to make it still operational.
IMG00202-20110313-1135.jpg

side shot of there the new motor mounts will be getting relocated
IMG00204-20110313-1442.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

clearance between the motor and radiator... i will have to run a set of pusher fans instead of pullers..

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

that it for this weekend.. the project will continue next weekend... more to come..

• Like 1