Advice on first person killing games.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,And yes.

So I can fling my dong here? its natural :lol:

Hold the meat! Post titties... now that's natural.

You can if you want a vacation from this place :lol: There is a time and place for those kinds of things Lou, and you and I both know that.

Yeah it's called Canby.

• Like 4

As an avid gamer since Atari, I've played some pretty fucked up violent games. I've never assaulted, raped or killed anyone nor have I ever wanted to rape or kill anyone. I had violent games yes, but I had a dad that stressed the line between real and fake. All my friends had similar gaming experience and all grew up to be upstanding citizens. You seem to be involved with your kids, just stress where the line is and make sure they understand. First person shooters aren't the ones to keep your kids from, GTA is. Also, if you do let them game online make sure they're on group chat with friends only, if you let them have chat at all. Games like Destiny may be the way to go till he gets a couple years older. Also remember if he goes to his friends houses, he's already playing online, at home you can regulate what he does online.

• Like 3

With all this talk about violence, weapons, and group thinking, I would like to add a sobering [and most probably outdated] view.  I was born just before WW2 , saw my Uncle drafted and loaded on the bus to boot camp just across the street from where I lived!  This was the "One Year" preparatory Draft", Thank You FDR!  My Uncle was lucky enough to fall in with a bunch of slackers from our neighbour  in his barracks, not like most of his buddies who were drafted the same day.  The Saturday that their enlistment was over the First Sergeant declared a full barracks inspection for Saturday before they were discharged.  His buddies in the adjacent barracks fell to the chalenge and were discharged the next morning.  My wise assed Uncle and his remaining drinking buddies figured "what the hell. were out the gate tomorrow so what can possibly happen" and went out on the town for a farewell party.  They work up about 9AM, faced the First Sergeant, who said he would not present their discharge papers to the Captain until they had passed his "Chicken Shit" inspection.  By the way he had already removed all mops and brooms "because they had already obeyed his orders" just like their buddies in the next barracks who were now discharged and on the bus back home!  So they had to scrub the barracks down with their toothbrushes and wait ror inspection.  "Unfortunately" this was a Saturday and the Captain had left at noon as was the custom.  Guess what?, they were in the Army until Monday!  Sunday was PEARL HARBOR!  They were not discharged, but as an organized unit went through WW2 as a Material Suport unit.  All but 1 survived the war.  All of the obedient dischargees were promptly recalled as unassigned reserves and assigned to Infantry.  Only One of tthe "obedient" group who followed orders survived WW2.  At a reunion of the neighborhood's draftees after peace all gathered at our local bar.  The survivor bragged about he was a paratrooper and showed how to jump out of a plane.  Unfortunately, he showed his survival tactics by jumping off a bar table!  Broke his neck and died on the spot.  My Uncle's observation "Sometimes it's a good thing to Fuck up."

• Like 1

I just bought my 13 niece GTA5.

Watching those videos... maybe I shouldn't have. She won't become a serial killer or anything. I think you can kind of tell if your kid has violent intentions without a PS2/3/4 Xbox whatever the fuck in the room.

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight guys. Holding this boundary is actually far more complicated than I'd first imagined. When I was my son's age, I was out of the house until dinner and if it was summer we went back out until dark. My brothers, our friends and I built a 50,000 watt tesla coil, Estes shoulder fired RPG pigeon spears, upside down bicycles, every conceivable RC plain, car, ship, and on and on. we road bikes to the beach and surfed all weekend, and I paid for this stuff with a job delivering papers. I was able to test myself and prove my ability with my peers totally un-supervision. If I got hurt (and I did) they'd scoop me up, take me to the hospital, then send me back out. Perfect right? Fast forward two years and I was getting shit house drunk in Tijuana... un-supervised.

I know my experience on longer exists. Things have become far more insular, intolerant, and protective. Look around, there are no kids playing in the street today, at least not here in suburbia California. So where can my son be himself with his peers? Let's be honest, my desire to protect him puts him in a bind of being an outcast among his peers. This is his reality, and if I'm not sensitive to that I'm setting him up to rebel. Our compromise has been that he can play that shit at other peoples house, but not here. This weekend I found my son attempting to download call of duty for the second time so he can play it at home. For him, it's not a question of good or bad, he is driven to be part of this scene. 

• Like 2

I am coming in late on this.

I respect several of the views on here, including yours paradime. My children are adults now 22-29 and they all like video games, especially the oldest my son...not to brag but he is very good at them. My wife and I limited what games they could play by their age, as they grew older and showed responsibility with better judgment they were allowed to play more intense games. We never allowed the games being mentioned in our home though. Yes, I knew they played them outside our house. What came about though made me happy as they became young adults their trust in mom and dad grew, along with that they decided for themselves (in their teens) that those games weren't necessary.

On a side note, I went with my daughters to a see the latest Hobbit movie a couple of nights back. The movie like most of them was violent...during one of the scenes a particularly gruesome death was shown, my daughters and I cringed my oldest girl gasped. Sadly though a very young girl I would say about 9 or so giggled with glee at the sight and many in the theater thought that was amusing. I guess you have to ask yourself what the little girl had been exposed to and weather or not you would have been amused.

I remember taking my young family to see Jurassic park and during the intense scenes my children as well as ALL of the other children in the theater were either under the seats or had their faces tucked in their parents coat. One of my children much to my glee had the extra large popcorn bucket over her head. Coming out of the theater we questioned ourselves if we had done the right thing.

Times change and so does entertainment, but I am happy that my adult children gasped.

• Like 1

Im 25, have played games since the Atari/NES. I have played every single COD. All the of the BattleField franchise, Halo (ew), blah blah blah. I never liked the content in GTA as a kid though, not my thing.

I was and am an introvert. The best word that describes me is "engineer." I am a happy individual, I hold doors open for people, say please and thank you, but you will never catch me starting conversation with a stranger. Unless I know you, I probably will never start a conversation, and when I do it will only ever be about topics I understand well, my social skills are kinda mostly terrible, but then again my friends tend to stick to me like glue.

Did video games make me terrible at socializing? No, but maybe not ever being interested in sports (well team sports); wanting to be creative and build/make things in my garage (I was allowed to use any tool in the garage and I still have all my fingers!), and my father always included me with every project he had. I myself am the reason for my lack of social skills. I was always a shy kid.

That said, video games are addictive, and they consume time. I hate them for that, it is the single biggest reason my Xbox hasnt been booted up in 5 months. I figured out that there are better things to do. More rewarding things. I think that is the thing with Video Games, they are stimulus, you need to find stimulus elsewhere. I find working on my car more enjoyable than video games.

All that said, I just ordered the new COD. Why? Well basically I have notice a decline in my spacial awareness, and my reflexes, and decided it was from my decline of video game playing, mostly FPS (I also love racing games). Also its winter time and working on cars in the rain sucks.

Also, online play is fine, as long as you turn off the chat. People are down right terrible on there, and that is scarier than any of the content in the game. Also I dont think the content is the bad part of video games, I think its the time away from doing other things.

• Like 2

I disagree that studies have shown that violent video games have made kids more violent. Just as many, if not more, show no link between violent video games and violent children. In the end a controller and a gun are completely different things. A video game is a movie you control. Playing farcry didn't make me want to go onto an island and kill mercenaries. Syria didn't make me become an expert dragon killer. Titanfall didn't turn me into a super soldier. There's a very obvious difference between games and real life and as long as your kids understand that then there is no harm.

Tests smests, what do they prove am I right?

Try this first person. Many of the posts mention years of game play and familiarity with computers. For this reason i will assume you can write a basic computer program.

Here is what you do, its wonderfully simple, write a game program showing a Bart Simpson like character sitting at a dining table. In front of him have an empty paper towel roll (just the cardboard) laying on the table in front of him. On top of the paper towel roll, have a spoon laying across it. Now to the side of the paper towel roll cardboard have a dish of candy (any candy will do) have the character place one piece of candy from the bowl onto the spoon. Now you want your character, this is the fun part of the game, to tap the end of the spoon (a mouse left click works well) to try and get the candy into the characters mouth.

After this game is ready. Invite a few friends with there kids over for a fun time. Before they arrive arrange your dining room table as follows, on the table place a few full towel rolls upright, next to them have a few empty towel roll cardboards laying down. On the other side of the table have a few dishes of candy with spoons next to them. When your friends arrive invite them into the dining room for a snack. Spend at least an hour in fun conversation, preferably in the dining room. Now you have to observe them for that hour and see what your guests do with the objects you have placed on the table. After the hour is up invite them into your living room to play the cool new game you just have programmed. After everyone has had a turn to play invite them back into the dining room. At this time you give them only half an hour. You guessed it, you get to observe your guests.

Now after your guests have left write down how many guests played a game at your dining table that resembles the game you had programmed.

1) The number that played the spoon game within in the first hour before you had introduced them to the game.

2) The number that played the spoon game after playing your cool game that you had just programmed on your computer within the half hour allotted.

Let us know your results

Well, you and I are in the same age bracket Ron and I am sure you remember how our music was going to make us all into killers. Since I don't have any kids, I am talking out my ass a bit here, but it seems to me, proper parenting would have way more to do with the mental wellbeing of a kid over what games or music he or she listens to. I feel one of the real issues today is that many of our generation don't play much of a part in their kids lives, then add all the violent bullshit on top of that, you may have yourself an issue. But, I know you and your wife are pretty hands on with this parenting thing, just the fact that you worry about this kind of shit goes a long way.

Now, for the games...as you know, I have experienced what many of these games depict in real life, it was my job for 20 years. Once out and living in the civilian world, what I did and what I experienced in those situations has made me into what many chicken hawks would call a "bleeding heart liberal" in other words, I don't much care for killing. Here is the odd thing about the games that I have noticed (because I have played a lot of them) you would think that they would bother me, but they don't. HOWEVER, too much playing and the softer caring side of me starts to noticeably diminish. In other words, that hard bark that I developed over that 20 years, that I worked pretty hard to peel off, starts growing back at a very rapid rate.

I'm not sure you can really compare me and my situation to a kid, but all I can say is that they absolutely do have an effect on my own personality, so it might be building that 'hard bark' around kids as well.

• Like 3

Thanks for the insight guys. Holding this boundary is actually far more complicated than I'd first imagined. When I was my son's age, I was out of the house until dinner and if it was summer we went back out until dark. My brothers, our friends and I built a 50,000 watt tesla coil, Estes shoulder fired RPG pigeon spears, upside down bicycles, every conceivable RC plain, car, ship, and on and on. we road bikes to the beach and surfed all weekend, and I paid for this stuff with a job delivering papers. I was able to test myself and prove my ability with my peers totally un-supervision. If I got hurt (and I did) they'd scoop me up, take me to the hospital, then send me back out. Perfect right? Fast forward two years and I was getting shit house drunk in Tijuana... un-supervised.

I know my experience on longer exists. Things have become far more insular, intolerant, and protective. Look around, there are no kids playing in the street today, at least not here in suburbia California. So where can my son be himself with his peers? Let's be honest, my desire to protect him puts him in a bind of being an outcast among his peers. This is his reality, and if I'm not sensitive to that I'm setting him up to rebel. Our compromise has been that he can play that shit at other peoples house, but not here. This weekend I found my son attempting to download call of duty for the second time so he can play it at home. For him, it's not a question of good or bad, he is driven to be part of this scene. 

Call of duty is my favorie game, I play every now and then to just pass some time waiting for the wife to get ready. So i will be upstairs in the little game room killing time. I have done all the outside stuff and played games my whole life and i am 42 now, I did not read all thew posts but its teaching right from wrong to your kids, and spending time with them. Sports Karate what ever and give him or her the balance they need, Schools also play a major affect on kids in just the public school system is teaching now. When I was growing up it was teaching now its about just passing the test.

As a gamer myself I would say games have really changed threw out the years, I grew up playing Zelda, Mario Bros, etc on Nintendo with my older brother. I liked video games back then but they never really satisfied me or caught my interest as much as being outside playing riding bikes hiking mountains or driving an old beater on our property. Maybe I'm just oldschool but I worked my whole childhood since my dad had hundreds of roosters & chickens so most of my mornings was feeding them.

I guess it really depends on what your envirorment is like. As a kid I grew up in a huge property with dogs and other animals life was a lot simpler back then. I can't count how many times I've been called the N word on games like Call of Duty, Forza Motorsports, GTA, Halo, you name it and I'm not even black lol. There are bullies everywhere you go especially online gaming, yeah yeah it's not everyday I hear it as I don't sit down and play like I used to and now I'm a parent to a 2 and half year old I could say I don't want my daughter watching me playing the games I play. The games of this age are so far more violent because there becoming more and more real as the developers push for better graphics and fast paced gaming as a result in a lot of disrespectful little fuckers online. My GF's little brothers 12 and 8 yr old fight and even throw the biggest fit over a game those kids are spoiled but they aren't my kids.

Make sure to supervise your kids on gaming you don't have to be on there ass all the time but maybe sit down one day and play games with them and really get down and play and see what it is really like so you know what your getting into. The online gaming is where you need to be with games now days if you don't have a mic plugged in you can hear other gamers voices on the TV it's just a matter of going to settings but you can control the games they can play online. Remember you are the parents you bought them the damn games and console you can regulate what they play just by simply putting parental advisory on it and putting a password so they can only stick to certain games.

Also, about ass and tits. I never had any pictured of that sort of thing to look at when I was a kid, unless you count the underwear section of some catalogs. Yet....I still had my face burried so deep in the neighbor girls crotch that my face often looked like a glazed donut. So...some behavior is natural.

• Like 3

^ nailed it. video games were around when some of us older ratsuners were growing up

but as soon as somebody shouted LOOK, HOT CHICKS!! we'd drop everything and hop on our bikes

fast forward: guy i know brought his gamer son to a waterpark

kid's eyes were glued to his ds so ignored all the frolicking girls in their bikinis

so his dad had to do all the drooling himself   :rofl:

You are not hurting your kids when you dont allow those games in the house.Is there really anything positive about them ? kids seem to be so lazy anymore,they seem perfectly happy sitting in front of a TV or computer game.When i was a kid i played street football,baseball,went fishing,little league,rode bicycles all over town and in the hills near my home.I had a video game it was i believe Atari.It had 3 very simple games on it.Kids would laugh at it nowadays.I think technology is dumbing down society and making it difficult for people to socialize and even fit in.

• Like 1

Also, about ass and tits. I never had any pictured of that sort of thing to look at when I was a kid, unless you count the underwear section of some catalogs. Yet....I still had my face burried so deep in the neighbor girls crotch that my face often looked like a glazed donut. So...some behavior is natural.

Same.

Glazed donut face or video games hmmmmm!!! well someone hand me a towel. Todays games are addictive if you asked me, my son~n~law and 35 year old nephew can't seem to put them down. Do they hurt social development? I don't think so but it sure does delay it. My daughter allows my 9 year old grandson 3 hours a week,,,A WEEK!!! and all his games are age appropriate and no violence. My daughter was a big time top female athlete in high school and went to collage on a volleyball scholarship so there will be no inactivity in her kids and my grandson currently is a 4 sport player, whew thank God!! plus my daughter and son in law are both military, MP and 182 Mountain out of NH so they've see enough violence for a life time.

Behavior modification

Children that grow up in violent families don't always grow up to be violent themselves, they often do though. However their learned violence is also backed by the physical pain that can re-enforce the 'lesson'.  On the plus side these kids can mature and see that their experience is not the norm and choose not to be violent in adulthood. Again not nearly often enough.

TV and video games are lacking in the physical and though extremely 'real' in a sense, their user knows that they can turn off the experience and return to 'normal' life. In other words you can with a flick of a switch escape into or out off it.... it's not real. The problem is underestimating those individuals who can't make that distinction or won't. (specially the young and immature) 

Gaming has changed a big time it's the preferred activity for kids now. Iv'e been gaming for as long as I can remember since I was at least 5 and all trypes of games, I grew up in the 90's which I like to call the last normal generation because I spent a nice amount of time inside gaming but I would also go outside and play and engage in face to face interaction with my friends. Kids still play outside but not like it used to be, kids playing together usually consist of them all getting online to play games now days or raid a castle or w/e. Like some have stated I would moderate it and make sure he understands the difference between what happens in his games and what happens in real life and the consequences for it. I'd say if you see it making an impact on his life then you'd probably have to cut him off, BUT this is one for sure to never let him play if it ever comes out although it may not because there has been a lot of heat for it already just from this teaser, I play violent games but I wouldn't even touch this one it's just too much and I could already see someone acting out and it being because they played this....