....and time to go......

IMG_9666_zpsc796f76c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero rust might be a good option for the frame. It's half the price of por15.. unless someone is donating por15. It can be painted on with a brush, or thinned and sprayed. Comes in a bunch of colors.. blah blah blah. If painted on, it can take a while to dry especially in our lovely climate.

• Like 1

Since I kinda doubt anyone has the equipment needed to sandblast the frame in any kind of timely manner......I think I'd start with Purple Power and a decent pressure washer.  With the heavy stuff off, I think a bit of clean up with a wire brush and then rattle can it with the cheapest flat black paint you can find.  This truck is already 40+ years old and the rust isn't that significant.  No matter what finish you put on the frame, it will chip/wear/rust again.  The the rattle can, the next owner can easily touch it up when needed.  Once a layer of rust if formed, it acts as a protective layer against more severe rust.  Trying to completely eliminate it and prevent it is....for the most part.....cosmetic.  I say clean it and make it black to look nice and call it good.  Sandblasting, POR15, powdercoating.........all more time consuming and costly with an extremely low return on investment.  How much time does anyone spend working on their frames?  Nearly zero.  You spend time on drive train, brakes, etc.  Extremely doubtful the next owner is going to spend any time at all on the frame......but they will, at some point, want to replace brake shoes in the rear......better to spend the time cleaning/painting those kind of items. 

My 2 cents, but the frame off is already way above and beyond, in my opinion.  This truck is going to be driven.  Hopefully, it will last another 40 years, but it could get crunched pulling out of Canby.

• Like 4

I have to agree with Mr Blue hands , I mainly wanted to take it down to the frame because it's been sitting for 12-14 years.. And all of the rubber lines should be changed along with fuel system .

Honestly , painting the frame is more of a hey look factor.

This way all the body bolts ,fuel lines, brakes lines , wiring and actual structure of the truck can be documented , cleaned up and ready for the road .  .  . And hopefully a long life with someone from the Datsun community .

• Like 5

i have actually worked as a sandblaster, at a foundry.  It is a very time intensive job, and you need a BIG  air compressor, and an air dryer, for the compressed air.  If you decide to sand blast the frame, and completely remove all the rust, and then properly prime,and repaint the frame, the truck might be ready for Canby, 2016.

I do agree that pulling the cab, and bed, to change 40 year old fuel lines, and being able to take a close look at brake lines is a good thing.  it is a little late to tell people not to remove the cab, after it has been done.

On steels, rust does not protect the steel from further rust.  Rust is an electrolytic reaction.  That means it requires water.  Keep steel dry, and it does not rust.  It also requires a source of oxygen, usually in the air.  But steel will rust, underwater, only slower, because there is less oxygen available.  Block a source of oxygen from the steel, and you prevent rust.  This is what most paints and primers do.   however, if the paint is not bonded to the bare metal, and can separate from the metal, the solid coating can just serve as a barrier to any moisture from evaporating.  Another issue is that red rust takes more volume that the metal originally occupied.  This is what forms the dimples in sheet steel where spot welds are.  The spot weld holds the two sheets together, and the internal rust forces the two sheets apart, creating the low spot at the actual weld.

Rusting, or oxidation of metals requires two different metals with different electromotive potentials.  The two different metals, in the presence of an electrolyte make a battery.  Electrolytes are usually a water based solution, with an acid, or a base, (alkali), or a salt.  This is how batteries work.  The battery goes dead when the metal the higher electromotive is completely oxidized. 

Unfortunately, with steel, the unrusted steel has the higher electromotive potential than either form of rusted steel, black rust, or red rust.  and both forms of rust are porous, and allow the electrolyte to continue to work on the good metal. 

Aluminium will form a protective coat to prevent further rusting.  So does Chromium, and Cadmium. Not so with steel.

Zinc protects steel, because Zinc is a metal that is has a higher electromotive potential than steel.  That is why zinc is used in a lot of batteries.  When zinc is coated on steel, or in contact with steel, it oxidizes first, protecting the steel.

• Like 4

DONATED  CANBY TRUCK PARTS :    DONATED BY :                                                 

FRONT BRAKES & KING PIN REBUILD........................................mklotz70

SEATS & DOOR CARDS    .......................................................ratdat3

PARTS TRANSPORT & LABOR ................................................................. hobospyder

TRANSPORTATION ................................................................................... eagle_adam

DASH BOARD ..................................................................... ....................... uberkevin

IGNITION SYSTEM & SWITCHES  ............................................................. charlie69

TRANSPORTATION .................................................................................... fastdadd

FRONT TURN LENSES .............................................................................. skyblue

POWDER COATING .................................................................................... jrock4224

HOOD AND LABOR ..................................................................................... jester

KNOBS & SHIFTER ..................................................................................... mattndew76

521 TRUCK .................................................................................................. datslocos & denmarkboy

INFORMATION AND SUPPORT .................................................................. ratsun

EVENT & RAFFLE ........................................................................................ datsuns northwest

PAYPAL & TOWING ...................................................................................... bowtie towing aka "Evil Santa"

BUILD BOARD & GRAPHICS ........................................................................ the graphics shop

STREERING WHEEL & WING WINDOWS & HUBS...................................... wayno  

RATSUN GRILL BADGE & RATSUN SHIFT KNOB ...................................... Dime Dave 

CRAZY ROAD TRIP TO DONATE LABOR .....................................................Busta Nut

LABOR & ROAD TRIP .....................................................................................Farmer

CRAZY ROAD TRIP & LABOR ....................................................................... Eastbay521 & copilot

LABOR / LUNCH / LIQUIDS ........................................................................... Draker

HUB CAP ........................................................................................................ 67_1600

ENGINE  REBUILD ......................................................................................... Datsun life

PAYPAL DONATIONS CAN BE MADE : Tbowtie@comcast.net

please make donations as a gift , to avoid 8% fee per transaction.

PAYPAL DONATIONS :  

]2eDeYe   a6m-zero  Justin Berni    hobosyder   Charlie69  Gradyfest

zed 1     Lime D. Zeze 

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU DONATING PARTS AND LABOR .

87acd5a1-0505-4d71-a241-5bcdeb938755_zps                                                 1d791ab1-3748-43bd-97f2-c07f109ed680_zps

header-image3_zpsxw6uiqjj.jpg

674f4a1e-2d87-4617-81ea-5657144c2d80_zps                                                                  90b3f0fb-7cb3-4e14-bf87-df29436a0d9a_zps

40c7a9ca-81d8-44ba-ad9d-f9c72acf06c8_zps                        d3868d73-2225-4f98-b3e4-78ee29a0f58e_zps

1f652a55-984d-4366-9332-ef29def30cf7_zps                           2d81198a-0c7e-473e-8f0a-2478503cd800_zps

ffa48b98-84b5-473c-81ca-598527282b62_zps

1397610931_zpsfrrq03zl.pnghttp://www.bluehandsinc.com          http://eugenegraphicsshop.com           http://www.youtube.com/user/bluehandsvideo.

http://datsunsnw.org              http://www.md-machinist.com        http://www.futofab.com/                       

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Datsun-Life/939484376066394

PARTS STILL NEEDED FOR THE BUILD

14 inch white wall tires                                                                              paint 

labor                                                                                                        

transportation                                                                                            carpet

fuse block                                                                                                  labor 

rubber kit 

• Like 1

I used an 30+ year old rebuilt Speedaire compressor and a Harbor Freight 100 # sand blaster to strip my chassis.  I blasted it one afternoon and primed it that evening the next afternoon I painted it black.  I used the Ace Hardware brand primer and paint.  It covered well and it is real easy to touch up.  I am building a daily driver.

My chassis did not have pitting rust on it just a surface layer.  I wish I had a a air dryer when I did this as I had to clean out the blaster 3 times and refill with dry sand.  That reminds me I used bags of silica sand form Home Depot ( used in pool filters) to blast it.  I do not advise using silica sand because of the hazards related to it.  But it did a fine job.

DanielC is correct I would not try blasting up in your area without a quality air dryer.

This was the result.

DSC00358.jpg

This is my old compressor.

SpeedairCompressor5hp.jpg

This is the type sand blaster I used.

Harbor%20Frieght%20Sand%20Blaster.jpg

• Like 5

i have actually worked as a sandblaster, at a foundry.  It is a very time intensive job, and you need a BIG  air compressor, and an air dryer, for the compressed air.  If you decide to sand blast the frame, and completely remove all the rust, and then properly prime,and repaint the frame, the truck might be ready for Canby, 2016.

I do agree that pulling the cab, and bed, to change 40 year old fuel lines, and being able to take a close look at brake lines is a good thing.  it is a little late to tell people not to remove the cab, after it has been done.

On steels, rust does not protect the steel from further rust.  Rust is an electrolytic reaction.  That means it requires water.  Keep steel dry, and it does not rust.  It also requires a source of oxygen, usually in the air.  But steel will rust, underwater, only slower, because there is less oxygen available.  Block a source of oxygen from the steel, and you prevent rust.  This is what most paints and primers do.   however, if the paint is not bonded to the bare metal, and can separate from the metal, the solid coating can just serve as a barrier to any moisture from evaporating.  Another issue is that red rust takes more volume that the metal originally occupied.  This is what forms the dimples in sheet steel where spot welds are.  The spot weld holds the two sheets together, and the internal rust forces the two sheets apart, creating the low spot at the actual weld.

Rusting, or oxidation of metals requires two different metals with different electromotive potentials.  The two different metals, in the presence of an electrolyte make a battery.  Electrolytes are usually a water based solution, with an acid, or a base, (alkali), or a salt.  This is how batteries work.  The battery goes dead when the metal the higher electromotive is completely oxidized. 

Unfortunately, with steel, the unrusted steel has the higher electromotive potential than either form of rusted steel, black rust, or red rust.  and both forms of rust are porous, and allow the electrolyte to continue to work on the good metal. 

Aluminium will form a protective coat to prevent further rusting.  So does Chromium, and Cadmium. Not so with steel.

Zinc protects steel, because Zinc is a metal that is has a higher electromotive potential than steel.  That is why zinc is used in a lot of batteries.  When zinc is coated on steel, or in contact with steel, it oxidizes first, protecting the steel.

I agree.....a layer of rust doesn't stop the rust, but it's supposed to slow down future rust.  For as fast as bare metal will rust, if further rust happened at the same rate, suspension parts would be dust in 40 years.  It was something I read about why auto manufactures don't put (or at least, didn't use to) a finish on some of the suspension parts.  They expect it to rust, then consider it protected enough.  At least that was my understanding. 

don't put that voodoo on my next truck

I'll voodoo my truck all I want!!! ;)

I used an 30+ year old rebuilt Speedaire compressor and a Harbor Freight 100 # sand blaster to strip my chassis.  I blasted it one afternoon and primed it that evening the next afternoon I painted it black.  I used the Ace Hardware brand primer and paint.  It covered well and it is real easy to touch up.  I am building a daily driver.

My chassis did not have pitting rust on it just a surface layer.  I wish I had a a air dryer when I did this as I had to clean out the blaster 3 times and refill with dry sand.  That reminds me I used bags of silica sand form Home Depot ( used in pool filters) to blast it.  I do not advise using silica sand because of the hazards related to it.  But it did a fine job.

DanielC is correct I would not try blasting up in your area without a quality air dryer.

Was that Arizona rust or real rust?!  LOL!!! :)  I think a home setup would knock things down enough to get some paint on it, but I don't think it would be "powdercoat ready" type of clean.  When I sandblasted the engine compartment/frame on the NL, I went through 300lbs of media.....friggin' neighbor cats thought it was a litter box.....I was about ready to catch them in one of those "humane" traps, then release them into the middle of the wild.......the middle of a wild raging river!!!!  If I can't shine my shoes by kicking a cat, they serve no purpose!!!  :)  Anyway......You made me remember that I have a HF sandblaster sitting up here.  If they want to pick it up to borrow it to do the frame, that would be fine.

Just a note.....HD also sells playbox sand.......don't use it for sandblasting......it's like river sand....all the edges are rounded so it's more comfortable for the kids. You want sharp edges for sandblasting.  Here in Portland, they've got a couple of places that have either copper slag or nickle slag abrasive.  Nice and cheap and cuts great!!!

• Like 2

Denmarkboy....I saved the wiring harness/fuseblock outta the rolled over 'Asea'78 KC. Was supposed to go into the 74' you got that was mine. Will it work on this project? If so I'll donate along with the dogleg. I have a 3gallon can of plastic filler, several gallons of batt acid(exlnt rust stripper), OSPHO rust converter, and a small Snap-on hand held bead blaster(perfect for door jams/tight areas). If anything I just listed will help you let me know.

• Like 4

Do not use sulphuric (battery) acid for rust removal.  It leaves a residue that accelerated more rusting.  Ever wonder why the battery box is one of the most rusted out areas of old cars?

If it gets into any cracks, joints between two pieces of metal, or porous welds, it is there for ever, rusting the metal.

• Like 1

Would the frame(brake booster) outta the 'Turd'(83 720std) help this project? Has good brakes, drove well. Saving the power steering box, front swaybar, rear-end. LET ME KNOW SOON!

thanks man, but not goint to change the frame , And i sent tou a text about the windshield out of that truck for my 720.

• Like 1