New guy with 42 year old garage find

kingofslam

I recently found this forum and wanted to share my new project. This car was last on the road in 1982 when the owner parked it and just let it sit. He said he inherited the truck from his brother, drove it for a few months and just put it away. It only has 80,000 miles on it!

I am in the process of breathing new life back into this amazing find.

IMAG1433_zpsf6dff32e.jpg

IMAG1430_zps9a386030.jpg

IMAG1429_zps4bd8ec1e.jpg

IMAG1432_zpsc6da4c1e.jpg

IMAG1431_zpsc878f38b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome :)  

Awesome find, Steriod will want to see this one, he likes going back in his magazines and finding photos of these when they were just finished, he possibly has seen it before.

Clean it up and drive it, it will take you back in time(literally), as people will come up to you and start talking about the past in detail, and it will be 1975 again, at least for a few minutes.

Love this find.  But I'll state my preference for headlights that fit the truck.  That grill/lights looks funny on the sides.  Other than that, I'd say polish, lose an inch, and throw some chrome plugs in the holes in the bumper.  And possibly upgrade the 8 track player to a CD player.  

Nice! Not a fan of the square headlights really but that is one sweet Retro truck! I agree with everyone else. clean it, drop it, drive it! And I found my 521 sitting with 13k original miles on it. The hardest part of getting it running and driving was to not daily drive it! I'm at 14,521 miles now but I kinda wish I drove it more.

In my opinion, if Steroid finds photos of this in one of his magazines with square headlights, it should be cleaned up and left alone.

If no photos can be found of it back in the day, I personally would go back to round headlights, but if you do, the headlight plugs will need to be put back also, square headlights are wired different than round headlights, they are not compatible.

• Like 1

This truck is a 72. It has the stock L16 motor. The only engine mod seems to be the aftermarket air cleaner.

I have replaced all the hoses and plugs. Drained and refilled everything. The new battery should be in tomorrow. Then hopefully she will fire up.

The square lights are kind of "off" looking. I was thinking about replacing the grill with something else that would let me do round lights. For now I just want to cruise and see how she does on the road.

Most of the rubber is pretty fried. Any recommendations on replacements?

• 2 weeks later...