Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

I work at a paper mill, most of the guys I know are union members, linemen, millwrights, pipe fitters, electritions etc. Since mill jobs are the highest paying in the area and since we're all middle class... buying houses and cars/trucks and spending the money we earn in town at the local businesses, the mills are the economy in this area. There is less than 40,000 people in Longview, and about 1000 of those work at the paper mill, then there is also weyerhaeuser, who I'm sure much more than we do.

But then again, Longview was built specifically as a town for the mill workers

• Like 3
  • Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think one can compare the University's of any state as the biggest employer to Walmart. Top rung jobs to lowest of the market. Most of the states pictured are not heavily populated...Florida really made me think of this...I would of thought Disney would have been a strong contender, which wouldn't be all that bad they are a highly sought after company for employment and I imagine the payroll to be Hefty. But in Florida it is Walmart who employees the most.

Edit; Not the most, but largest employer.

I work at a paper mill, most of the guys I know are union members, linemen, millwrights, pipe fitters, electritions etc. Since mill jobs are the highest paying in the area and since we're all middle class... buying houses and cars/trucks and spending the money we earn in town at the local businesses, the mills are the economy in this area. There is less than 40,000 people in Longview, and about 1000 of those work at the paper mill, then there is also weyerhaeuser, who I'm sure much more than we do.

But then again, Longview was built specifically as a town for the mill workers

Do you think Walmart in your area has more employees then the mill your employed by or weyerhaeuser. I highly doubt it...sort of proves my point.

One more thought on this. For Walmart to be the biggest employer, I would think that the vast majority of it's employees are part time.

They are.

That's how retail works. Very few employees work full time. That way the employer gets out of paying for benefits and overtime. Mrs. Racer worked at Slaveway for 20 years and the only thing she got was a cheesy desk clock with a Safeway logo on it and the Retail Clerk's union pension. She hated the business and all the bullshit that is handed down the the employees.

I figure since she could put up with that shit for 20 years I shouldn't have any trouble.

I am not an economics professor, but how is one of the most notoroiusly underpaying companies in the US the main economic driver of any state...that would not be sustainable.

At some point the Wall Mart employees would not be able to sustain and drive a profitable Walmart....impossible.

Stay tuned . . . . . . . . .

I follow your point about old mining town, USA, but I still don't see how Walmart could be considered the main economic driver of anywhere based solely on it employing more people than any other single company. The UC system is certainly not the main economic driver in CA...

Consider the rate at which MalWart is expanding. That expansion drives the economy, supporting local business while the planning and construction of the stores takes place, artificially inflating it.

Once the expansion slows the support businesses move on, to the next place the cancer of MalWart has spread to.

Meanwhile, the areas of total MalWart saturation will begin to collapse in upon themselves.

• Like 1

"Is Walt and Jesse still cooking out there?"

No, but I am sure they have been replaced ten fold. Funny side note, I just purchased a commercial property that was originally developed by a guy named Walter White.

• Like 1

Thank you for that course in understanding...I am now an enlightened man.

Hell no, as a Bank manager for up of 12 yrs I believe I understand the dynamics of a local, city, state...etc economy.

What I stated made sense to those who can see past thier nose.

I could go into detail of my understanding of economics...But why? I make an observation and a simple statement and a pissing match ensues.....

Well that explains everything. Only another bank manager could understand another bank manager.

• Like 2

Couldn't find part time vs full time ratio for Walmart but looks like full time annual income is in around 25K range and part time average 12K to 15K

Dafuq?

$25K for a full time job????

Do they get tips?

This is an incredibly low wage by Aussie standards.

Aussie Walmart equivalent (Kmart) base rate for a retail assistant is $37k with extra money for night time, weekends and public holiday pay rates.

RW's base pay is $86k for my gubment job.

Then i get $15k a year extra if I do 70 days of on call a year.

On top of that I have a $32k a year indexed pension (for the rest of my life) from my service with the feds.

Thank you Jesus for my good fortune (ive worked and syudied bloody hard to get it).

• Like 4

Dafuq?

$25K for a full time job????

Do they get tips?

This is an incredibly low wage by Aussie standards.

Aussie Walmart equivalent (Kmart) base rate for a retail assistant is $37k with extra money for night time, weekends and public holiday pay rates.

RW's base pay is $86k for my gubment job.

Then i get $15k a year extra if I do 70 days of on call a year.

On top of that I have a $32k a year indexed pension (for the rest of my life) from my service with the feds.

Thank you Jesus for my good fortune (ive worked and syudied bloody hard to get it).

What I read may not have been accurate and it was not including management