Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Biggest employer may just mean the single largest employer. It doesn't mean they employ a majority of the people, just that no other single company employs as many as they.

Correct

If second largest is 10%, largest only hast to be 11% not 51%

• Like 1

Biggest employer may just mean the single largest employer. It doesn't mean they employ a majority of the people, just that no other single company employs as many as they.

I can't imagine this could be understood in that way. No company employs more than 50% of residents. None. Hell, no company employs more than 1% of residents.

So, the biggest employer in my state (New Mexico....not really new, not really Mexico) is UNM.

In case you were wondering.......University of Nothing Much. :geek:

• Like 2

I am not an economics professor, but how is one of the most notoroiusly underpaying companies in the US the main economic driver of any state...that would not be sustainable.

At some point the Wall Mart employees would not be able to sustain and drive a profitable Walmart....impossible.

SSVillage.thumb.JPG.85995adeb8661ccd1c36

READ

Says biggest employer not biggest economic driver.

• Like 1

READ

Says biggest employer not biggest economic driver.

Thank you for that course in understanding...I am now an enlightened man.

Hell no, as a Bank manager for up of 12 yrs I believe I understand the dynamics of a local, city, state...etc economy.

What I stated made sense to those who can see past thier nose.

I could go into detail of my understanding of economics...But why? I make an observation and a simple statement and a pissing match ensues.....

Hell no, as a Bank manager for up of 12 yrs I believe I understand the dynamics of a local, city, state...etc economy.

I could go into detail of my understanding of economics...But why? I make an observation and a simple statement and a pissing match ensues.....

WTF did you expect from Ratsun?!?!?!

• Like 2

I am not an economics professor, but how is one of the most notoroiusly underpaying companies in the US the main economic driver of any state...that would not be sustainable.

At some point the Wall Mart employees would not be able to sustain and drive a profitable Walmart....impossible.

Your original post didn't make any sense, though.  You took the image to infer Walmart is the main economic driver of the states shown, but that's not what the image is showing.  Please explain...?

• Like 2

Walmart carrying the job market to such a degree in all of 19 states indicates to me that the jobs available in those states have a similar ecomic presence or footprint if you will.

Back in the days of a fluid economy, Industry led the market, along with a strong home ownership ratio.

Along with that take an old mining town..the mine was the economic driver, not all of the small retail outfits making thier living off the mines. There mayhave been a few strong businesses, but when the mine died, so did the city.

Thus the main employer of *mining town was the economic driver of the area...even though in its heyday the business employed a relative few.

Want a case study to understand my point...way back, check out Butte, MT. more recent look to Detroit, MI. how many of the citizens where actually working for the big three?

I follow your point about old mining town, USA, but I still don't see how Walmart could be considered the main economic driver of anywhere based solely on it employing more people than any other single company. The UC system is certainly not the main economic driver in CA...