Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grim mystery of the severed feet

IT WAS a grim find which naturally sent the rumour mill into overdrive.

A foot found washed up on a Canadian shore in 2007 had some convinced a killer was on the loose.

Then a second foot was found just days later.

Last Sunday, a 13th foot was found along the same stretch of British Columbia’s coastline, with speculation again rife there were sinister explanations behind its discovery.

Charlotte Stephens was walking with her family along Botanical Beach, in British Columbia, when they found a shoe with a foot inside.

“We had a look at it for about five minutes and we thought, it almost looks like there is an actual foot bone in it,” she told Canadian broadcaster CBC.

British Columbia regional coroner Matt Brown confirmed the foot, which was encased in a sock, was indeed human and investigators are now trying to identify who it belongs to.

The Coroner’s Office said the type of shoe in question was first sold in North America in March 2013 which indicated that the shoe’s owner died at some point between March 2013 and December 2015.

“Work will now continue with the Identification Unit of the BC Coroner’s Service and our community and police partners to try to determine the identity of the individual concerned and a cause of death,” Mr Brown said.

“Final confirmation in these circumstances must come from DNA testing.”

However, he stressed there was nothing to indicate there was foul play involved in this case.

“Preliminary examination suggests that the foot disarticulated naturally from the rest of the body, a result of prolonged immersion in water,” he said in a statement.

He confirmed it was the 13th foot which has been found washed up along the British Columbia coastline since 2007.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/wo...636578a4f01a0e

IT WAS a grim find which naturally sent the rumour mill into overdrive.

A foot found washed up on a Canadian shore in 2007 had some convinced a killer was on the loose.

Then a second foot was found just days later.

Last Sunday, a 13th foot was found along the same stretch of British Columbia’s coastline, with speculation again rife there were sinister explanations behind its discovery.

Charlotte Stephens was walking with her family along Botanical Beach, in British Columbia, when they found a shoe with a foot inside.

“We had a look at it for about five minutes and we thought, it almost looks like there is an actual foot bone in it,” she told Canadian broadcaster CBC.

British Columbia regional coroner Matt Brown confirmed the foot, which was encased in a sock, was indeed human and investigators are now trying to identify who it belongs to.

The Coroner’s Office said the type of shoe in question was first sold in North America in March 2013 which indicated that the shoe’s owner died at some point between March 2013 and December 2015.

“Work will now continue with the Identification Unit of the BC Coroner’s Service and our community and police partners to try to determine the identity of the individual concerned and a cause of death,” Mr Brown said.

“Final confirmation in these circumstances must come from DNA testing.”

However, he stressed there was nothing to indicate there was foul play involved in this case.

“Preliminary examination suggests that the foot disarticulated naturally from the rest of the body, a result of prolonged immersion in water,” he said in a statement.

He confirmed it was the 13th foot which has been found washed up along the British Columbia coastline since 2007.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/wo...636578a4f01a0e

Oregon has had some severed feet show up on the beaches too.

OK, I'm a bit bored here so I'll spitball a theory.

I just realized that in a sick way what might be happening is one of the greatest pranks of all time.

Bit of history: Many many years ago I used to work with cadaver limbs for research use.  They're not actually that expensive and disposal is through the coroner's office. Generally, they also don't take DNA and they are not chemically preserved, just frozen. However, at the time (things have changed a bit in the last 14 years) they were only tracked at the time of disposal. As the testing was commonly destructive sometimes there would be only small nondescript pieces left and at the time it would have been possible to acquire feet this way. Note: In fact someone in a nearby county did do something weird with stealing body parts and got caught and the whole system was reordered locally to better track these materials, so much harder now.

So setup for the prank:

Buy all kinds of different shoes at flea markets, Good will stores, etc..., try to go for antique or just weird shoes; that pair of disco boot, the antique loafers, the bunny slippers, etc., Bury calf/lower leg in the mud near the beach in the water, in an area that will flow into your desired target, leaving shoe and ankle exposed, allow to rot/be eaten by crabs. Use of SCUBA gear a plus here. Freeze and plant a different leg anytime you feel the urge. This could run for years. Obviously, this is a felony dumping charge at the minimum but it would be relatively hard to catch.

I'm not saying that is what I think is going on here, I suspect this is likely some combination of water flow and shoes floating and the general small number of dead boaters etc... but it is plausible. A couple of tells would be age of the bones (tend to be older) and the wear of the shoe, and freeze damage to the tissues, extended decomposition would make all except age of the bone extremely difficult to determine though. I can think of a couple possible exotic testing methods that would tell if the body parts came from similar geographical locations but nothing that would be commonly available.

Tie a body to a weight by their foot. Body sinks. Eventually all the flesh gets eaten and the carcass stays sunk. But foot bone eventually gets disconnected due to the chain or shackle connecting it to the weight. Shoes float, therefore foot floats. Foot gets found down stream. There is a body upstream for all those feet. Funny thing about streams, going upstream has many forks to follow. There's a killer clipping a newspaper or two right now... Makes me sad

• Like 2

Tie a body to a weight by their foot. Body sinks. Eventually all the flesh gets eaten and the carcass stays sunk. But foot bone eventually gets disconnected due to the chain or shackle connecting it to the weight. Shoes float, therefore foot floats. Foot gets found down stream. There is a body upstream for all those feet. Funny thing about streams, going upstream has many forks to follow. There's a killer clipping a newspaper or two right now... Makes me sad

You'd have to poke holes in the abdomen, like with a pitchfork or something, otherwise decomp. will cause bloating and the body will tend to float. Hooking a weight to the foot is a really bad idea if you want the body to stay hidden for dumping in the water. The body wanting to float and the tension on the leg would tend to cause the limb to dis-articulate at the ankle, especially if this already had some form of weight tied in that location. This would also leave very distinctive marks on the ankle. Most of the methods of water disposal that would keep the body hidden [not posting these in an open forum] would tend to favor removing the shoes first. I suspect that the feet wash up as the shoes protect the foot from being eaten by larger scavengers and broken apart and the shoe floats allowing it to travel further. So the body could be a floater (accident or murder) that otherwise fell apart due to natural circumstances.

There are actually some really clever ways to track upstream forks IF you have a general idea where it might be located.

Oregon has had some severed feet show up on the beaches too.

I believe this last one found in BC was the first one to be DNA matched to an earlier found one though.  Most others, in BC and OR, have been singles without a match.

Edit: http://komonews.com/news/local/latest-human-foot-washed-up-in-bc-matches-earlier-foot

I guess it didn't say it was the first match, just that it matched.