Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My younger Brother (only brother) got married on the weekend,this was the wedding car (our cousins) and the Red Skyline next to it is my Bro's.

DSC_2818.jpg

DSC_2816.jpg

I spy intercooler

• Like 1

^^ that.

You yourself said its about power to weight, you can get more power out of a v8 than an I4. That being said, a sbc would be my last v8 choice for a swap in ANYTHING, not a good engine design and far more heavy than they need to be.

The 510 in that video was quite well put together, it does seem to be a bit lumbery but we don't see anything else on the course, perhaps it is just the way the a car looks running that course? Making your judgement of the car based on one video seems a bit unfair.

Another thing to consider is the type of course the car was built far may not be a good fit for a turbo charged I4, you said it yourself the SR lacks grunt.

Obviously I4 went sailing over my head. :frantics: 

Well said Q, and total agreement with the points you make here. True, why put a cast iron V8 tractor motor in a 2100lb. compact car when there are aluminum V8s that will do a much better job? Those choices are often made by budget though, not best option. That being said, if I were going to all that trouble to hand build a V8 510 race car, I wouldn't cut corners on the engine. Man I'd love to see the guys at Project Binky build an AWD V8 510. What an autorgasm that would be.

When I first saw this vid, instantly I though there's way too much weight in the car. Although it didn't add up, I will admit I was blown away by how stable the car handled. Very little roll, no squat, and the steering seems pretty damn nimble. With the volume off though, I could see it's weight. Although the driver is doing a great job controlling the beast, you can see how long it takes to get the car up to speed, and how much momentum is lost coming out of corners. It's true, you can put more power to the ground with more weight, but the law of diminishing returns will eventually bight you in the ass. I'll bet a small aluminum V8 set back a foot on a hand built chromoly subframe chassis would give an SR swap a run for it's money, but would it still quality as a 510 at that point?

I'll just leave this here....

Without transmisison (figure +100-150lbs)

A12 87 kg 192 lbs

A14 93 kg 205 lbs

L18 118 kg 260 lbs

CA18ET 118 kg 260 lbs

QR25DE 121 kg 267 lbs

CA18DET 128 kg 282 lbs

SR20DE 139 kg 306 lbs

SR20DET 149 kg 328 lbs

FJ20ET 166 kg 366 lbs (205 hp)

KA24DE 167 kg 368 lbs (est)

With Transmission:

SR20DET 490 lbs