Junk Yards make me angry

So I had the day off of work today and thought it would be the perfect time to take my first ever search through a Jy, on the off chance they would have an s30 as im lacking a horn button and need a new drivers side signal cover thing. So walking around i find not one but two 240Z's a big surpirse. The first lacked the bits i was looking for was far to rusted to save and had been hacked a bit to boot. 

IMG_0098_zps7567ae45.jpg

mhm Fram lol jkjk  :devil:   :fu: Trolololololol

IMG_0093_zpsd0ce551c.jpg

the second also lacked the bits i was looking for but other than needing some new floor pans and a door and some markers/brake lights was totally saveable oh and an interior but who cares aboot dat it was saveable.

IMG_0101_zpse442d317.jpg

IMG_0100_zps13a5031e.jpg

IMG_0099_zpsc577650f.jpg

IMG_0098_zps7567ae45.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsd1223b3e.jpg

IMG_0096_zps8ff17d99.jpg

IMG_0095_zps5966a547.jpg

so it needs more but its definatly saveable I dont mind spending all my money on saving a Z especialy since i would swap an sr ka rb. and race the hell out of it why not it wouldve just rotted away right? But and this might be the law or comon practice in jy's they would NOT sell me the whole car. Not the bare shell, the only way i could get the all the z they have sitting there is to cut it all up and then id be stuck with a car i couldnt ever get driving again. So im angry and wanted to vent.

Thanks for listening 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..... is to cut it all up and then id be stuck with a car i couldnt ever get driving again

Been there ... seen a lot of cars/pics of cars in Junkyards I wanted to save,, but with all the parts missing, and prices Junkyards want

..... I've found it's cheaper to find a more complete car to hack up .... :rofl:

Been there ... seen a lot of cars/pics of cars in Junkyards I wanted to save,, but with all the parts missing, and prices Junkyards want

..... I've found it's cheaper to find a more complete car to hack up .... :rofl:

They wont sell the whole thing i could if they would sell it pick it up for like 400$

In a lot of JY once it gets to there yard there is no way to buy the whole car no matter what you tell them, it must be a state law all around the U.S. because I've been told the same when I wanted to save a perfectly good 280zx turbo.  I also hate to see datsuns get crushed but thats the way it goes especially when you can't find parts like my 810, I've seen so many get crushed and because of that now there's hardly any on the road today.

Sometimes the reason they won't sell an apparently complete car is that the yard got it at an abandoned vehicle auction or for some other reason they don't [or won't] have a title.  If they sold it to you as a complete vehicle and upon registration it was found to be either illegal or stolen you might have a claim against them.  Easy way out?  "I sell parts, not complete vehicles."  Life is tough when you might get caught in the middle.

• Like 1

Rarely does a yard over here in my area take a car without a title if at all.  They usually will hold a car in the yard and mail the owner of the vehicle if no ones picks it up then they can get the title for it threw a company and then they either auction it off or crush it/part it.

Yes from private parties ,,, but they probably only get an A.V.R. (abandoned vehicle report) if bought car at tow auction  and employing a person to do the paperwork to make sure you get a title isn`t cost effective as just parting and crushing .. If you want to save every one ,,, spend the time and money to go every tow auction like the junkyards do and bid for them..

• Like 1

IMG_0098_zps7567ae45.jpg

mmm red interior vinyl and a white seat! Does it have blue panels? :rofl:

In all seriousness, I'd be all over that red vinyl! I see some round top SUs as well :thumbup:

anyone want/ think any of what they see is worth saving im going back this weekend. A mechanic buddy of mine has been building audi race cars since he was 14 and now that he has his own shop he doesnt have time to go grabbing heads to build so hes paying me to do it for him. So i can grab anything off these cars while im at it.  

• Like 1

In a lot of JY once it gets to there yard there is no way to buy the whole car no matter what you tell them, it must be a state law all around the U.S. because I've been told the same when I wanted to save a perfectly good 280zx turbo.  I also hate to see datsuns get crushed but thats the way it goes especially when you can't find parts like my 810, I've seen so many get crushed and because of that now there's hardly any on the road today.

Oklahoma requires all salvage yards to get a title with any vehicle they purchase. many salvage yard operators or their spouses are notaries. oklahoma titles must by law be notarized. If you buy a car from a salvage yard and re-register it it is supposed to be issued a title stamped SALVAGE in big bold letters. I'm pretty sure not all of 'em are. I know some yards that will sell a vehicle and some that won't. can I also mention that some salvage yard owners are just pricks? yes, I know that some customers are thieves and it sours the yard men. IDK - gotta be a happy medium tho!!!

Watched a shithead through a brake rotor through a perfectly good 70's BMW windshield because he was being a bitch about a bolt breaking and him busting a knuckle.  

Fuck that; waved down one of the yard monkeys and enjoyed the temper tantrum when they threw him out.

• Like 1

I hate they junkyards near me because they offer NO WARRANTY on the overpriced shit they sell, and few small ones won't let me go look around. They would rather let one of the dumbasses hack the part off, sometimes rendering it USELESS! I think the only damn tools they have there is a floor jack, a torch, and a saw! The bigger yards have all been bought bought out by LKQ, and they will let you roam the lot and pick your own parts, but the assholes charge five dollars just to go out there, non refundable! Even if you buy something. And they won't save you the time first and tell you they don't have a damn vehicle. I have had nothing but bad luck with junk parts, they are just that...JUNK!

As for the selling you a whole car, none of them will. THE REAL REASON why is the assholes know they can get a lot more out of it selling parts.

Let alone I hate LKQ for a different reason, it is a shitty place to work for. Have a friend who used to work for them. The counter people are straight commission, yard guys are minimum wage. Neither makes a decent living.

The fuck? Here in GA, when the yards get a decent car in with a blown up motor or something, they'll get it out of another car (if they have one thats the same) and make it run. Cannibalize one to save another.

Then they sell them right off the lot.

I think by law in order to sell the cars as a whole, you need a dealer license which most yards won't invest in to sell a $400 car. In pieces would be exempt. 

You guys get FUCKED on junk yards. I roam them for free, and I'm often given small stuff for free. Guys are awesome down here. Bough my Ellipsoids for $30. 

• Like 1

I need to set up some yard roams in Atlanta then... Down here most of the pick-n-pulls are gone. You aren't allowed into any of the yards to look at or pull parts except for at 49 salvage, and there you can look but not touch and must be accompanied by one of the yard guys. They will save cars if they can make a profit, which usually means trucks or honda/toyotas.

Prices are decent considering they aren't pick-n-pulls, but its still $40-80 for an alternator that may or may not work. The ony warranties are on engines and transmissions, usually its 30 days, sometimes 90. Every since Bob's p-n-p closed the yards have gotten worse.

The Portland Oregon pick N pull yards sell complete running cars, but once it makes it out into the parts yard, there is no saving it, seems like to put it out in the parts yard, they have to give up the title, at least that's what it sounded like they were saying when I was ease dropping on a conversation several years ago.

I sold a 70 dodge challenger about 15 plus years ago.  It was a parts car (at the time) and I signed the title over but I guess the owner never sent it in.  I got a garbled phone call inquiring about the car a few years ago from someone identifying themselves as the police.  I could make out that it was in a salvage yard.  The message was so unclear and when I called back they didn't pick up.  I always wondered if this was a lame but necessary attempt at locating the owner prior to acquiring a lost title or scrapping. 

The reason you can't buy a whole car from a wrecking yard once it's been put "in the yard" is because those cars have their title sent to that state as destroyed.  Thus, they can't ever be registered again.  Around here, the Pull and Save yards offer rebuilder cars up front, so if you do want one, you'll have a titled vehicle.  As far as Datsuns, get to know them, and have them call you if they drag in a decent car.  Problem is, it's not cost-effective.  They'll pay $50-$200 for a car, they'll sell it to you for $400-$800.  If it's something you want and you don't mind, great, buy it.  Most won't.  It's easier to put an ad up on craiglist looking for dead Datsuns.

anyone want/ think any of what they see is worth saving im going back this weekend. A mechanic buddy of mine has been building audi race cars since he was 14 and now that he has his own shop he doesnt have time to go grabbing heads to build so hes paying me to do it for him. So i can grab anything off these cars while im at it.  

Do the strut towers in the back have the red vinyl in it? If it's in good shape, I'd buy the red vinyl to squirrel away. Thats a 73, so I'm sure the rear glass has the horizontal lines. Any vertical defrosters are worth saving!