Misinformation, look here to get the 411

Bob3

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was thinking outside the box with this one. The 520 and the 411 are two totally different platforms. The 520 was frame and body and the 411 is unibody. He really thought outside the box with the 411 by using the floor, firewall and frame rails all in one piece. A lot of thought is going into this build, measure twice, cut once. It sounds simple and especially when he fitted everything in.

I can't imagine the amount of fabrication he would have had to do with conventional thinking in making just the suspension and engine made to fit the 411 instead of bringing the majority of the miata with its drivetrain and suspension virtually intact over to the 411. Good planning and thinking ahead makes for great execution and especially in the time frame he set up.

The reason I asked that is when I last talked to Bob, He had not decided on which way he was going to go with the rear, floor pan or fab, and I was curious about his thinking on why he was concidering going the fab route. The way he did it makes sense to me, and is the way I would think is the easiest, but I'm still courious about why he was thinking about fabing, and why he didn't.

Day 33

It's riding on the "stock" Miata suspension, it will be lower!

The back half of the cage is done. There will be more cage.

I'm just glad I can roll it off my lift now, on my 4 space saver wheels!

day334_zps389c7ebc.jpg

day335_zps213e7e84.jpg

day339_zps0e9895c2.jpg

day333_zps70c3472d.jpg

day336_zps5db0b166.jpg

day331_zpsb2e6570a.jpg

day332_zpsac882ab5.jpg

• Like 1
if I ever had a shop as well equipped, the skill level that you have and a 59 datsun this is what I'd do, but alas I don't even have one of those.

Hahaha maybe I will one day! But for now the factory pans stay. And so does the axle. However it is not out of the possibilities

Great work Bob, this one has been done a totally different way, a lot less making it from scratch in the sheet metal department.

Bet it feels good having it on it's own wheels already, at this rate, it will be done soon.

I didn't thing it was going to happen for a while, good for you making the time to do it. icon_thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I still need to add about 200 lbs of stuff to finish the car. This is the point in a build when I put it on the scales to see how hard it's going to be to get it balanced.

Well that is a good starting point!

firsttimeonscale_zps5dfdee9a.jpg

• Like 1