Misinformation, look here to get the 411

Bob3

If you had only tacked in the floor pan, you could cut the tacks and lift the body off to full weld the tubing. 

Cage looks awesome!!

It is fully welded. It's all in how you design and build it and in what order. This ain't my first rodeo. ;)

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, look how far back that steering wheel is, you going to be able to reach the gas pedal. rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Keep up the good work.  :)

The seating position is killer! It is pretty far back, but the (pedal / seat / shift lever / steering wheel) is all stock Miata spacing. I'm so pumped to get this on the track!

3-23-1311_zps21dc4b53.jpg

3-23-1310_zpsb0c7fe40.jpg

• Like 1
....so did you stuff welding blankets above the bars to protect the headliner.  No burns or damage.....very nice!!!!

I welded the main hoop, it's diagonal and back legs out side the car. The next step was the halo. I built it and tacked it in and held the front up with a 2x4. Then I built the front "A" pillar tubes. I put cardboard between the halo and the headliner and welded the lower easy to get to parts about 1/3 of the way. Then I knocked the halo tack welds at the main hoop loose and lowered down the front section for welding. Once it was cooled I put it back into position and only had to weld the joint at the main hoop and the feet at the front. The joint at the main hoop is angled down about two inches from the headliner. I used cardboard again and finished it up. Easy! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Ahhhhh.......seriously....thanks for explaining that.  I've never done a roll bar and I didn't even think about breaking the tacks to drop the bar.   Hadn't noticed the down angle at the back of the halo either. 

Great stuff Bob!!! :)

I welded the main hoop, it's diagonal and back legs out side the car. The next step was the halo. I built it and tacked it in and held the front up with a 2x4. Then I built the front "A" pillar tubes. I put cardboard between the halo and the headliner and welded the lower easy to get to parts about 1/3 of the way. Then I knocked the halo tack welds at the main hoop loose and lowered down the front section for welding. Once it was cooled I put it back into position and only had to weld the joint at the main hoop and the feet at the front. The joint at the main hoop is angled down about two inches from the headliner. I used cardboard again and finished it up. Easy! :thumbup:

This 'ain't your first rodeo' indeed Bob! Love your logical and efficient approch to everything. Heh I'd still be wondering where I should cut the floor.

I've got a couple of spare Roadster reflectors you can have or I can go see if there are any on the 411 in the junk yard across the river.  They might still be on winter hours and closed until April 1st.  Not sure but I need an excuse to run over there any way. Ping your contact info if you want the Roadster ones.  Not perfect but good enough for a track car.

I'll take a close up picture of the good one. Thanks guys!

You know when you are on a project and there are loads of little details that are all time consuming and you work your butt off for three days and get tons of stuff done and then you can't remember what you did and it looks a little different but you can't put your thumb on anything in particular that you accomplished . . . that's how I feel today! :wacko:

Bob: I could not grab the catalog pic to post it here, but I know exactly what you need to replace that broken reflector. I bought two 6 LED round lights off the middle of this page link from Watson's to replace the rear reflectors on my 320 pu. They are wired as additional running lights and look super. Cheap, too! Check these out:

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/other_lights.html

6-LED Interior and Marker Lights

L96Web.jpg

Great little 6-LED lights have a variety of uses. They are 1-13/16” diameter overall and mount in a 1-1/4” diameter hole. Red and ambers are SAE/DOT rated as clearance lights. Provided with an optional stainless steel trim ring.

#L96RR, Red LED’s/Red Lens $20.00 #L96RCL, Red LED’s/Clear Lens