1970 521

Royal Sierra

Id love to go. My aunt lives there so Id have a place to stay. But Im broke as hell! I have 37$ to my name to last me till the 22nd. And i drive from oc to 181st and sandy blvd everyday. Gonna hit up the pawn shop later. Haha I started my job right at the start of the pay period so i havent had a check for 4weeks.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id love to go. My aunt lives there so Id have a place to stay. But Im broke as hell! I have 37$ to my name to last me till the 22nd. And i drive from oc to 181st and sandy blvd everyday. Gonna hit up the pawn shop later. Haha I started my job right at the start of the pay period so i havent had a check for 4weeks.

If you come down give me a call ill pay for you to get in.

Pretty sure you spin the adjuster a click at a time until you cant spin the wheel, as in its locked. Then back off 1 click.

i didnt know this....i have always done it just to where i can hear the shoes brushing all the way around, but then again my pedal is pretty low...

The book says 12 clicks, but I don't think it will take more than 3-4, depending on how round the drum is. I may post this in the other thread Royal started.

go to page 145 of the pdf here.......

http://www.davidcmur...is_and_Body.pdf

...hhhmmm.....just checked the link...it doesn't go straight to the pdf.....so it's the 521 body and chassis manual.

The book says 12 clicks, but I don't think it will take more than 3-4, depending on how round the drum is. I may post this in the other thread Royal started.

go to page 145 of the pdf here.......

http://www.davidcmur...is_and_Body.pdf

...hhhmmm.....just checked the link...it doesn't go straight to the pdf.....so it's the 521 body and chassis manual.

i've done the 12 clicks and it works great.

laecon says it best..... adjust till little drag and one click back... on new brakes that works best.... but in the first six months periodically check them by jacking up the wheel and seeing if u still got drag....i just chucked all my old brake parts i wanna start fresh with new pads and springs....i will remove wheel cylinders too and clean and inspect mine....the 521 drum brake system is pretty finicky i have found....its always either soft pedal and locks ups which were fun ....or hard and draggy ...i am hoping a rebuild and a z master along with front discs will cure me of my brake whoas..

how am i supposed to count twelve notches back in the dark layng under my sit in the gravel.....i would say twelve ratchets as described is more than a full rotation

i run 4" too so i can feel your pain....u can still get a pretty good shot on it even at aangle....i actually pulled the wheel and did it from the front....and then reinstalled the drum when i wanted to test it...being 6-7" u kinda ddont wanna lay under there ..specially on a hot day

• 2 weeks later...

So Im thinking about ditching my fender mirrors. If I keep them i will move them back 4-5 inches. Opinions? It just has been bothering me they seem too far foward. I was gonna move them so the base of the mirror is directly between the end of the headlight and the center of the front wheel. Also I need a windshield and a left fender..Im still looking for my tail lights..I got an idea that nobody has done yet on a 521 and im surprised I havent been able to find them yet.

Heres a couple oics of the mirrors..i want your opinions on what I should do. Been thinking about it since I put them on and I just dont know.

Too far foward?

2012-05-06130011-1.jpg

2012-08-31180645.jpg

Also I found this pic from the day I bought the Datsun haha

2012-05-08115200.jpg

• Like 1

I am going to be honest here, and hope I don't get flamed, I have fender mirrors on my 53 MGTD, they are basicly worthless in my opinion, you can't see anything in them except for this very small area in back of you.

To look in my blind spot, I have to turn around and look, cause I can't get far enough to the right because the mirror is so far forward.

I don't even think the early 67 datsun roadster mirror is positioned right, for me anyway, and I drove that car daily for several years.

I like door mirrors, you only have to lean forward a little to see the blind spot.

Curved mirrors are not much better, unless they are right there close to you, and if the mirror says "Objects may appear.....", then I won't own it, as that mirror has issues, and that is why it has the warning.

The closer the mirror is to the driver, the smaller it can be and still be safe.

I also think that the "panda express" is awesome, I like "string bean chicken" and "mushroom chicken", but they are so freaking slow in there, that by the time I get to order what I want, the trays are all differant because the drive threw has used everything up that was there, so I have not been back in over a year now.

so what was the verdict on the brakes? im having the similar problem, firm pedal but locks up easy. i have new shoes all the way around and i resurfaced the front drums. i have driven for about 3 months with the new front shoes and it looks like only the top and the bottom of the shoes are engaging. i have them adjusted to they are brushing all the way around when i spin the wheel...maybe ill try the 12 clicks thing

Yeah they are useless. But there is no blind spots with this truck. Anyways this weekend Im gonna do an oil change with some gtx 10-40 and a non wix filter. Move my speakers into the doors so they arent ziptied under the dash facing the floor and wash it! Try to lower the rear some more..try to fix the issue with my cluster as the gas/temp gauges work when they want. Then help my buddy who just got a 620 (cuz he couldnt find a 521 for cheap enough) with his truck AND THEN work on an s10. Busy busy. Will post oics