Royal Sierra

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyblue!!!!!!!!

How you like me now?

Popped headgasket? Thats now a 500$ truck. most of it it is the wheels and tires.

I really didnt think he would give up so fast either. There is enough info out now on how to do a headgasket.

2/3 hour job.

haha! you pushed him over the edge.

Skyblu

No i seen the pattern of him not having money knowledge and time.

This is common among the younger owners.

I have have kids come up all the time wanting to buy my Datsuns.

I say you got a engine hoist? Timming lights. Lots of tools ? Garage??????

I say I pulled the motor 3 times. 2 trans. rears seals . 3 clutch changes. ect.

I say can you do that? All have a blank look. I say dont buy it unless you can do all these things.Most these kids I notice are walking or at the bus stop when asking me these questions. Or driving Mom newer Fuel injected car that alwasy starts and idles smoothly.

I personally dont want to do a head gasket on the later 79 L motors as the emission shit is just a PAIN!!!!!

Of set up like a L16 just exhaust L16 manin and intake then EZ!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Skyblu

No i seen the pattern of him not having money knowledge and time.

This is common among the younger owners.

I have have kids come up all the time wanting to buy my Datsuns.

I say you got a engine hoist? Timming lights. Lots of tools ? Garage??????

I say I pulled the motor 3 times. 2 trans. rears seals . 3 clutch changes. ect.

I say can you do that? All have a blank look. I say dont buy it unless you can do all these things.Most these kids I notice are walking or at the bus stop when asking me these questions. Or driving Mom newer Fuel injected car that alwasy starts and idles smoothly.

I personally dont want to do a head gasket on the later 79 L motors as the emission shit is just a PAIN!!!!!

Of set up like a L16 just exhaust L16 manin and intake then EZ!!!!!!!

you don't have to have a lot of money or tools to own a datsun

just some knowledge and a lot of determination

you just have to be willing to take it one step at a time :thumbup:

A lot of people are facinated by the scene but can't handle the membership.

Young kids will come in and destroy a perfect base car/truck with their inexperience, then poof...GONE because they can't handle the repair, don't know how to do the repair or they have sucky finances. They don't have the patience to stick through both the good and bad...

I see it all the time with VW's too.

Skyblu No i seen the pattern of him not having money knowledge and time. This is common among the younger owners. I have have kids come up all the time wanting to buy my Datsuns. I say you got a engine hoist? Timming lights. Lots of tools ? Garage?????? I say I pulled the motor 3 times. 2 trans. rears seals . 3 clutch changes. ect. I say can you do that? All have a blank look. I say dont buy it unless you can do all these things.Most these kids I notice are walking or at the bus stop when asking me these questions. Or driving Mom newer Fuel injected car that alwasy starts and idles smoothly. I personally dont want to do a head gasket on the later 79 L motors as the emission shit is just a PAIN!!!!! Of set up like a L16 just exhaust L16 manin and intake then EZ!!!!!!!
A lot of people are facinated by the scene but can't handle the membership. Young kids will come in and destroy a perfect base car/truck with their inexperience, then poof...GONE because they can't handle the repair, don't know how to do the repair or they have sucky finances. They don't have the patience to stick through both the good and bad... I see it all the time with VW's too.

geez you guys are hating on the younger ones a lot. i see where youre coming from, but we're not all like what youre saying. I am younger that royal, i have no garage, no engine hoist, i do however have enough tools, i go to college and only work part time, yet i am able to keep my datsun going just fuckin fine. ive pulled my motor and trans and put in a L20b and 5 speed, ive done my kingpins, and put on a rebuilt head. so no, not all younger people dont know what they are doing and no you dont NEED everything that haines is saying, but it does make it easier. just saying. all you need is experience and patience.

also, royal didnt only sell because of the head gasket, he said a there were some things on it that were pretty hacked up, like the bed for example, and that he wanted something different, a better base...

• Like 2

Not trying to bag on anyone, but it's the basis for the hobby. The younger you are, typically you don't have the experience and the tools and wind up making due with what you can, hacking along the way. The older you are, you usually have more resources and experience. Sorta like OJT. This is the typical situation, not every instance. I started this way for sure with my very first car, 1967 VW bug.

But you did hit it on the head. Most "hack jobs" are by the younger crowd, because they want extreme stuff, don't have the resources to do it right, or really don't care about the history of the car, it just looks cool. They get tired, waste a few cars to the scrap heap and move on...never to be seen again. Then you meet up with them about 20 years later and they tell you..."I used to have on of those, ran the shit out of it and got rid of it".

Again with the VW scene, I'm so tired of college younger kids ruining decent factory paint jobs with primer, hacking the shit out of them, cutting crap out and ruining the base of the vehicle. They jumping ship after the ruined a great base car.

All of these cars are getting harder and harder to find in decent shape. We should try to preserve all of them.

a perfect example of this is in the brakes section ... whitey shows up, asks for help ... we lulz, and advise, then time passes with more quesions and we advise those questions....then nothng happens s someone suggest troll and now the thread is crickets...unless old skool vw is helping whitey behnd the scenes and not posting about it.....my nephew isin college and wants a dtsun ...i told be prepared its not like a honduh...it will require some tlc regularly...

Hi, I'm new here to ratsun, but what I'm about to show all of you isn't. I'll post in this thread strickly because it's the same vehicle haha. I am the one who bought the 521 from the guy who did the new head gasket on the l20b. It does look a little different than it has in previous posts, someone had stolen the chev rallys and now has mismatched pathfinders on the front and stock jap style steels on the rear. I will be getting another set of the chevy rallies, I love the stance it had on them. As for the l20, it's had better days. It was sold with the idea the timing chain needed to be changed and adjust the timing, which it does need, but also it has a dead cylinder at this time, I got it cheap enough that I don't mind. I will be comrepssion testing it this weekend, already have the timing chain set and head gasket kit in anticipation of pulling the head again. Also will be addressing the electrical gremlins it seems to have and has had. It's both good and bad that I found this thread, it's pretty weird seeing the history of a vehicle from years ago in another state and a completely different color and personality. Anyway, after it is running good again, I will jump right on the cosmetics of it, both in and out, hoping to make it what it hasn't been for a while, it seems. Here's the pics, thanks.

004-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

006-vi.jpg

I do have a question though, I'm wondering does anyone know if the front suspension mounts are the same as a 620? What I'm getting at is can I put on 620 control arms, spindles, and most importantly, the disc brakes in the front? Then swap out the master, put in a proportioning valve and have front disc brakes?