1970 521

Royal Sierra

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely, the m/c pushrod didn't fit quite right and it's keeping the piston pushed in. When it does that, it won't let fluid back into the reservoir....so the system stays pumped up which causes the brakes to drag. They're going to get HOT!!! Make sure that when the pedal is up(at rest), there's a small amount of play in the push rod. You should be able to push the pedal down about 3/8" before the rod quits wiggling. If you can't wiggle it, it's adjusted too tight.

Keep the clevis off the old m/c if you can. Then, if/when you upgrade to a dual reservoir m/c, it will be easier to make the new push rod.

Dude WTF I say???????

Its the correct one as I have this one also.

I said you have to, cut the shaft.

Look how long it is. When you installed it, didnt you notice the shaft was probably 1/4 way pushed the master in cause the pedal arm is a certain distance and not releasing on the 2nd stroke or soemthing like that, holding pressure.

Look closly at the photo. If the pedal arm goin inbetween the fork it will hit the shaft. Notice the old one how much space is in there. Your going to cut at least a half inch or more off the end.

What I do is flip the fork on the other way and thread it on. then cut the shaft and when you remove the fork to put it back on the otherway it will clean the threads up.

The front wheel could be just sticky or a bad wheel cylinder is making it sticky.If its only one whell that is holding.

The brake bleed you might have to go to the dealer.

the bleed screw:

be careful 521 used alot of SAE thread sizies so if it dont go in right then you could have a metric thread bleed. Like a 510 its all metric. 521s used alot of BOTH. Can get confusing.

• Like 1

Ok well im taking it back out now. It just sucks the bleeder on the right rear is broken so we gotta figure that out. Putting in new wheel cylinders while we are at it

Does someone near you have a 521 that's not running, or have that bleeder part on an unused rearend that you can snag?

I have what you need, but you are a ways away from me.

Also, Wayno, about that bleeder part, I ordered wheel cylinders today and the guy said it comes with a new bleeder piece. Thats some good news..also after all this time I got it registered in my name. I would have put it off more but the Judge said Id better do it by the 13th or Id pay more fines haha. When the registration is up in October If everything goes well Im gonna get the Pacific Wonderladn plates.

It looks different than any other ive seen haha. Anyways. I Made a deal with my dad and hes gonna pay for my all my parts if they come in tomorrow. Turned drums, shoes and wheel cylinders. Just need to cut the master cyl and put it all back together. Then it needs a new carb and to service the diff.

nice when your done there i can copy your shit ...my rears are fucked after driving to portland and back....to be fair they started acting fucked up 5 minutes into the trip... i just ratsuned my way down to blue lake and back...all hot wheeled and boiling brake fluid like....looking good ... high five your dad from ratsun for the hook up...