1970 521

Royal Sierra

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I tried everything. There is spark to #2 and #3 but it makes no difference when the plugs are pulled. I poured gas into the carb and it still make no dofference. Guessing I might need a motor. No big deal..l20bs are somewhat cheap. Oil and coolant arent mixed and it doesnt blow white smoke so Im ruling out a head gasket. Giess I will just drive it until I get another engine! I'll throw down some beer for whoever wants to help swap it haha

OK

Tell me exactly what you mean when you pull the plug wire what happens. NO difference.

If you get spark, I always assume you got spark unless you flip the wires from 2 and 3 out of order.

You can still have SPARK but if you dont have compression the cylinder wont fire, no explosion in chamber thus making fell like its not running right.

if motor is not running right and you pull a spark plug wire on a good cylinder it should run even WORSE, not the same.THat tells me soemthing.

Open the valve cover and look at the rocker arms and see if a lash pad fell out. and or adjust them. exhaust seats sink over time thus loosing valave lash.

Eric owned this truck and it was running like tops when he had it here a few years ago. Unless you got a maker head gasket leak or Over Temp this is a minor issue.

But if you want to change the motor out that fine also

Damn.!!!!!!!!!!!

watch this

or sell it

for someone who is always talking smack about people giving up on Datsuns and letting them end up in a field you sure advise to sell at the slightest sign of trouble quite a bit. unless that's your sense of humor and you don't really mean it.

and sierra, head gasket is the easiest to do on L motors. get 'er done.

• Like 1

sure advise to sell at the slightest sign of trouble quite a bit.

Yeah I know. Im hoping one day it gets more motivated owner.This is the 4th owner of this truck since I first seen it. This one is not in a field. This one is in the street that might get towed Like the guy on here few year back had a mnt 610 2 dr and got towed and cound afford to get it out of impound.= Junkyard.

But I put enough info out there people can get this fixed. Olddatsuns.com has infor. pklus all of us.

head gaskets are EZ. key to this one is head warped?. That means more Money which I have a feeling Sierra might not have.

Get a good timming chain tool. and maybe some help. Its about a 2 hour job for exp or 3 to 4 for a new person.

Key is tak it in steps and in a garage and we can walk you thru it. Mark chain! I repeatt mark the chain!

Key to owning Datsuns is RESOURCES.

I will help if local but must have good tools ,in gagrage heater ect.... Most never call me. While we are at it a new timming set or at least a slack side guide and a new tensioner.

head gaskets are simple on these as long as you dont let the tensioner pop out! i have yet to make a tool that holds it in place. everytime ive done an L series headgasket, ive pulled the front cover :/ but even that is simple enough. you get this thing running in a day, even less if jake is helping you out.

the guy he sold it to already did the head gasket and got it all checked out for warpage. runs and drives, said he can barely hear the timing chain, and it needs to be timed. my buddy might go look at it friday if it doesnt sell today. royal had his reasons for selling, and its already been done. its not like the truck is getting scrapped or anything. im sure it will go to someone who will take care of it if my buddy isnt able to get it