1970 521

Royal Sierra

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's been two weeks since you said you were sanding it all down.... is it done yet? ;) I'm envious. I'm itching to sand ours down and get started on repainting it..... but it's just not in the cards quite yet :sleep:

If you need a vector of the Rat & Wrenches for a stencil for the door logo, let me know.

Oh sweet! I want one. Also thanks for bumping my thread. I was just about to post an update its not done. Havent had time really. But to my uptade..I met this girl and when I pulled up to her house to pick her up I noticed her neighbor has a 521/520 bed trailer. It looked to be decent so Im gonna knock on the door and see if they wanna sell it. I soon may have a bed woth no huge hole in it.

Well I just hauled a washer and a bunch of other random car parts im gonna hang on my wall, since we got the 30 days notice on the house where I was storing my GMC. a neighbor was nice enough to let it sit for no more than a week. Hopefully my buddies mom will let me store it at her house until I can swap plates with the datto so I can keep in my apartments. Poor thing

20121011_184544.jpg

20121011_181900.jpg

20121011_181847.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So the other day i was driving home from work and noticed a major loss in power. It sputters really bad and can barely make it up molalla ave in first gear (keep in mind I have a dogleg 5spd. Thats how much power I lost). I put new plugs in it and didnt change anything. Cleaned cap and rotpr connections, plug wires are still good too. I dont have a compression tester so I dont know whats wrong but havent really looked into it. So its been sitting fpr a few days.

It was my daily so I went bought a mint Volvo s60 with the all the options and turbo 5cyl. Trans shit out on me the next day so I took it back. So im gonna buy a new truck wednesday..so its just sitting here. Taken today..

20121027_150446.jpg

Heres that volvo i had for less than 20 hpurs.

20121023_104718.jpg

a new car will never be around 40 years from now as much as we take care of them, unlike a datsun 521,.... get another tranny asap, its a sin to let a datsun sit

Um the Tranny went out in the Volvo... not the 521... He hasnt looked into the problem with the 521...

Wasnt raining, yes I have a weber 32/36 and the tank was full. The fuel filter was replaced about 2 months ago..

Which fuel filter, the one inline, or the one in the carb?

As datson4life suggested, check your fuel pump also.

I have had the carb fuel filter fill with dirt and choke off the fuel while I was driving down the hiway, and after it would die, the crap would fall off the filter and allow the fuel to get threw for a little while till it choked it off again, i took the filter out and cleaned it off, and it ran great again.

I don't know what type the weber has, some carbs have a stone type material that the fuel passes threw, others just have a screen.

This is the time of year when they switch the gas over and it tends to break any varnish in the tanks loose........which plugs/kills fuel pumps and/or fuel filters. Thank you dumbass gov't for not giving us any choice in the matter.

May not be your problem. You can pour a little gas down the carb.....half a film canister(half ounce). If it fires up and runs great on the primer, you probably have a fuel issue. If it doesn't run, you may have moisture in the dizzy cap or another problem. Fuel issues would seem more likely in this case, so check those out first.

pull the output of the fuel line

Put in safe direction and see what happens/ If got lot fuel call it good.

next see see if you cycle the linkage you have gas squirting in the carb, Hopefully yes.

If barely running remove the valave cover and see if a lash pad is fell out of the retainer. Anyway to ck is pull a pull wire and if nothing changes then thats the bad cylinder. ck lash pad or adjust them if you can.

Ck the dist underneath if wet/condensation.

was anything changed on this. Anything. Coil balsslat resisitor . Ck dizzy for being loose.

L motors are not hard!!!!!!!!!!