1st Gen Maxima to buy or not to buy?

So 1st Gen Maxima popped up on craigslist the guys is selling it for 700 OBO I was talking to him he will take 500. It runs with some hesitation problems, and the filler neck to the gas tank is leaking making it only able to fill about half way up, but darn if it isn't clean. It has been smoked in and to a non smoker that does suck, but man 500 bucks and it has nice tires and a decent interior what do you all think? Should I get this car, if so I would have to sell my daily 240 Volvo wagon. I am a sucker for inline 6's and I have parts for them as well laying around. Picture below. I go and look tomorrow I got some pictures of the interior too it is pretty nice all seats but the drivers seat are in good shape.

5F85H35Ja3Ef3M53N2c4p2db32e39ee401235.jpg

5Fd5M95Jf3J33N73H4c4p468b7e0024e61867.jpg

5L55E45Fc3E53K73Lcc4pbbf7d3f383771262.jpg

5K75J75R63K13Le3N5c4p801abaee19ec12c5.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about one of these VIP style with a 3.1 stroker motor. slam it on some 17 or 18" wheels would be a badass ride.

Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wagon, no... but its a sedan and yes it is clean. I would say yes.

Auto loses a lot of power back in the 1980's. A 5-speed would be cool but those are rare in the Maxima.

If it is a 1983-84 and is auto then it has the 4speed overdrive. Very tall 4th gear. You could also find a lower geared diff to give all the gears a little more torque. I think the 4th gear in to the auto is actually too tall for the engine as it sets with a 3.54 rear ratio.

Well I bought it, drove it home, and cleaned the contacts on the AFM and the hesitation is gone, at least it was last night. I will check again today. My buddy who originally wanted it(He didn't get it because the owner said there was a smokey smell in the car) went up there to get it with me and there was no real smoke smell, just old car smell, so he really wants it. My volvo still runs just fine, but this maxima is way cooler, but his wife is coming by tomorrow to give the approval on whether he can have it or not. If he wants it I will let him have it he needs a car more than I do. If not I will have a first gen maxima and let me tell you what its a fun little car and it will bury the speedo (85mph!)

The first generation Maxima engine was a 280Z engine destroked to 2.4 liters.

Actually it's a 240-Z motor with FI.

THese cars are getting scarce.I haven't seen one down here in 10 years.More 810's than early Max's.

Topic detour,if anyone has a P-side taillight for a 810 Goon- i need one.Thanks.

Glasses.jpg

Well my buddy's wife approved the maxima so it is already out of my driveway, I am a bit sad, but honestly I think I will be OK with it. I will still get to help out with the car and I didn't really need another car right now I really need to put some nice tires on the Z.

My parting picture of the car.

463379_10100606735549062_17120722_47626286_1242526964_o.jpg