620 FUNK! **NOW with Stroker!**

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning!!! We both get to break In a motor before canby :)

Dude it feels sooooo good :fu:

Sweeeeet!!  What's the sheet metal rattle when you kicked the motor on?

lame-o exhaust. :-P

It was actually the tailgate :P I got that fixed now! for now that is.... lol the exhaust rattles like crazy though.

I got it running a lot better now! It idles consistent when it's warm. I have to get the choke set up properly and adjusted because it does nothing right now. We'll see how that goes though, I still haven't driven it.

I found a new spring and re-assembled the master cylinder and I have a stiffer petal, but still not disengaging the clutch all the way. I'm gonna replace the slave today, and master tomorrow morning because both are questionable.

For now.... enjoy.

Sounds even better now. :)

I had a similar problem with my clutch in my race wagon.... I had the wrong throw out bearing and had to swap mine out. :( I hope yours is just that slave cylinder.:)

Sounds even better now. :)

I had a similar problem with my clutch in my race wagon.... I had the wrong throw out bearing and had to swap mine out. :( I hope yours is just that slave cylinder. :)

Yeah, I know for a fact that's not my issue :P Thank God! 

The issue seems to be all M/C related. I replaced the spring with one from NAPA, and tried to bleed it after replacing the slave, and the frickin thing got WORSE. I just kept getting air in the line, and bubbles in the res. 

Master_o_turbonics stopped by and we took another look at it, and decided what I kinda already figured. The M/C seals are shot and its sucking air in from the back seal. No biggie, Napa will have one in the AM for me!! 

MM47, it sounds like a fun engine! you should definitely post a video of it on a sprint.  :D

She's so much better in person :fu: I'm gonna spring it down the road and get a nice video as soon as I get the clutch fixed! I won't beat on it too hard, since it's still fresh and the clutch is new.

I just changed the oil and it was nastyyyyy. Now running 5qt of fresh Lucas 10W-30, some ZDDP, and a K&N Pro oil filter  :thumbup:  Gonna change it again in 500 miles or two weeks, whichever comes first. Then I'll have Mobil 1 10W-30  :thumbup:

IMAG0739_zpsc40e4ed2.jpg

I run valvoline VR1 full synthetic racing oil in my race engine. It's the only oil i've found with actually ZINC added to it for wear protection on that high lift cam. They sell it at O' Reiley's auto parts. Just a suggestion.... I crank my motor as high as 8000 rpms and never have any wear issues. :) I love that stuff ;)

Run cheap regular oil in it through the break in period. Get 3-5K miles before thinking about synthetic. And drive that puppy! Make her work hard. Lots of gear changes and hard accelerations. (not to red line) Force the rings against the rough bore to smooth them. Keep an eye on temps and check the oil and water often but don't be afraid to pound on it. Good exercise builds muscle. 

• Like 3

I run valvoline VR1 full synthetic racing oil in my race engine. It's the only oil i've found with actually ZINC added to it for wear protection on that high lift cam. They sell it at O' Reiley's auto parts. Just a suggestion.... I crank my motor as high as 8000 rpms and never have any wear issues. :) I love that stuff ;)

I've actually considered Valvoline myself, but at my AZ I always have Mobil 1 on sale. The 5qt of VR1 Synthetic used to sell at my store for 6.99 during the summer, so if it drops down on price again I'm gonna stock up. 

Run cheap regular oil in it through the break in period. Get 3-5K miles before thinking about synthetic. And drive that puppy! Make her work hard. Lots of gear changes and hard accelerations. (not to red line) Force the rings against the rough bore to smooth them. Keep an eye on temps and check the oil and water often but don't be afraid to pound on it. Good exercise builds muscle. 

Makes sense, thanks for the money saving advice Mike :P

Got it driving now and it's a hell of a motor! Running rough, made a video of the first drive where I talk a little bit about some of my issues, but I've resolved most of them right now, so I'll upload that and let you guys enjoy until I get a down-the-street video.

To be clear, synthetic is toooo slippery and will prevent or extend the break in period.  Break in should be as fast and as soon as possible after original start up. This will seat and seal the rings tightly against the cylinder walls to hold compression before blow by makes it's own path. If you don't change the oil for 500 miles that's not the end of the world but I would spin a new filter on soon before that..

Got it driving now and it's a hell of a motor! Running rough, made a video of the first drive where I talk a little bit about some of my issues, but I've resolved most of them right now, so I'll upload that and let you guys enjoy until I get a down-the-street video.

Still running a 32/36 ??

My L20b with .490 cam had the same cold lope with one.  Only ran smooth when I put side drafts on it!

Make sure that jetting isnt too lean, don't wanna hurt that new motor!

Man Z20 block with 6" rods ?? Love it!  

Agreed with mike, lots of engine braking for ring load and varying RPM, I ran mine hard and the rings sealed like they should. 

Still running a 32/36 ??

My L20b with .490 cam had the same cold lope with one.  Only ran smooth when I put side drafts on it!

Make sure that jetting isnt too lean, don't wanna hurt that new motor!

Man Z20 block with 6" rods ?? Love it!  

Agreed with mike, lots of engine braking for ring load and varying RPM, I ran mine hard and the rings sealed like they should. 

Yessir! I was gonna put the motor off for a little while while I work on finding some better carbs, bit we made a last minuet decision to get it done.

This Weber is freaking GARBAGE for HP. I mean, utter shit. I want to toss it in a pile and never look at it again. 

It got such a huge potential that the crappy carb is holding back. I revved the truck out to about 6K for the first time tonight, and it felt like it was struggling a bit. Probably the tiny venturi's. The Weber 38/38 only goes for about $220 so I might hop on that in a few weeks.

i haz side draft SU mani up FS.... just sayn 

Oh yeah??? How much $$$???

Yea you need su's there's no fighting it just give in and drink the coolaid... It's soo good

Yeah man.... see, money lol 

And I'm allergic to koolaid haha

• 2 weeks later...

I'M BACK.

After dealing with this thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55992-lz-losing-power-and-overheating/

Got the truck running better then ever. Found a local Amsoil dealer that may be able to get it for the cost of a normal synthetic, so I may be running awesome fluids soon! 

As far as HP goes though, the reason my L20B only made 52HP was because the throttle cable was binding and wasn't opening the secondary like I though it was. I looked before, but I must have been confused, because I was only getting 3/4 throttle before. The POWER out of this motor is astounding for this like 32/36. I'm surprised at its capability. I can chirp third like it's no ones business. The motor is so robust and makes me soooo happy to put my foot down.

More on all that shit later though...

9072253419_79889103a0_b.jpg
_DSC0189 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

9074481856_3ab4d3b975_b.jpg
_DSC0205 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

9074481566_ef50b010f1_b.jpg
_DSC0209 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

9072252647_ca9d9ba5a4_b.jpg
_DSC0213 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

9074481032_f5e8900b4a_b.jpg
_DSC0215 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

9072252065_2a966b455f_b.jpg
_DSC0225 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

9074480520_6cf27dd5e7_b.jpg
_DSC0226 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr
  • Like 3

How you so low bro? Still needs moar lowar tho... I see space :fu:

Great job figuring out your power issue. That had to be annoying esp when you put so much time into this engine.

Maybe I'm too fat for std cabs, but how in the world did you fit a box behind the driver's seat? I'm only 6' and had to move my seat back as far as possible. Even removed the mounts so the seat is bolted straight to the floor :P 

How you so low bro? Still needs moar lowar tho... I see space :fu:

Great job figuring out your power issue. That had to be annoying esp when you put so much time into this engine.

Maybe I'm too fat for std cabs, but how in the world did you fit a box behind the driver's seat? I'm only 6' and had to move my seat back as far as possible. Even removed the mounts so the seat is bolted straight to the floor :P

Mannnn I ain't even that low :fu: Torsion bars out all the way, poly bumpstops, and pinto shocks at the front, 720 leafs at the back with 2'' blocks. DONE. lol

dood, true story I made those things by hand and took FOREVER measuring the fitment. PAIN int he ass and even worse with the recaros, but I made that shit work. :)