620 FUNK! **NOW with Stroker!**

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I popped the water pump tonight. Coming down some brisk backroads with 70dime's 510 in the rear view on the way back from the bar, and when I got back out on the main roads I noticed the temp started rising and I smelled something funny. It finally started getting towards topping off the gauge so I pulled over at the gas station and found my electric fan stopped working. Not a big issue cuz I've been playing with that for a while, and still have the engine mounted fan, but then I popped the cap (have one of those safety release caps) and found the radiator was bone dry. Poored a gallon of water in before it was full..

I had just changed the thermostat the other day and flushed/filled the cooling system with a fresh mix getting ready for winter so that kinda sucks.

I noticed when i started it up after filling it up that it was dripping water pretty quick off the oil pan, so I think it's seeping from the weep hole on the water pump and the engine fan is blowing it around.

CHANGE YOUR WATER PUMP RIGHT NOW!!!!!!...  I had this problem with my l20 in my 521.  Didn't recognize my prob in the 521 until, too late.! The water pump snapped in half!!!!  while I was driving it.  was seeping just like yours... I saw it was leaking. ignored it, then, pop...!!!  change it! CHANGE IT NOW!   .... 

Yeah I have one coming now. I thought I heard something making.noise last night.

Are the fans for the fan clutch the same between the A/C and non??

Reason I ask is because the non AC pump impeller is cast iron, vs steel on the AC pump

That's no bueno for me. Need a fan clutch, since I'm having an issue with the electric fans, plus they don't seem to be big enough for 100 degree Atlanta weather... Need aluminum radiator.

Plus that cast iron impeller just seems shady to me. They flow less, and weigh more which means more wear on the bearings = shorter life. 

the cast impeller is the factory design. id recommend that one over a stamped fin any day. 

i dont get how this L motor is overheating with a factory rad... im running a KA on a stock L rad, and have never gotten past the 3/4 mark. idaho was in the 105s all summer. 

id honestly try a solid fan and see what that does for ya. or maybe a flex fan.. or re-core the rad. youd be surprised how well a fresh radiator works. 

Cast impeller is best. The stamped steel ones are crappy cheap after market re mans. The Z series truck pumps are larger inside and move more water but also have a different plastic blade so your blades won't swap on. Have to get the whole thing.

L series pump

Lenginewaterpump.jpg

Z series pump

motorLwaterpump.jpg

The weeping hole is on the under side and is there to drain away water when the seal fails. Without it water will get into the bearing and it will seize up. With the hole, the owner should see the leak first and replace it.... well in theory.

Lwaterpump014Large.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oops! I forgot to update this...well erm up that issue was solved long ago haha. And yes, I used a cast impeller pump! 

Anyways.... I've been goofing around. 

1401696_647280968628769_225480503_o.jpg

1396923_647282658628600_2067312865_o.jpg

735752_648339811856218_202982523_o.jpg

1412526_648345415188991_362711_o.jpg

Spent about 20 minuets making a spare headlight housing accept a Spectre 9789 headlight funnel. Just peeled the lip back and hammered it flat, so it fits perfectly. 

1397462_10151983383639266_1818731573_o.j

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Anything?

Always something. I'm working out some bugs, and I'll probably spend Christmas under it chasing some fuel delivery problems. 

Has that black accent always been there? if you plan on keeping it I think it'd look bomb going all the way down the side of the bed under the hooks.

Yep! If you go to page one you can see it :) I LOVE it and it will always remain! I just need to decide on paint scheme and finish body work. I am so behind. Since I'm driving this thing every day it makes it a PITA to actually work on it. I'm always busy no matter what's going on. 

• 1 month later...

Truck is in the air right now with the motor apart. The crank pulley wiped out the keyway on the crank, and the woodruff key won't stay in place. Crank pulley wobbles a bit, causing a 'knock' that i searched and could not find for literally about a week and a half. 

http://youtu.be/XSGR5ULKzrg

Bottom end came apart....

http://youtu.be/GQO6ZbIFhGs

Anyways, sorry for the lack of updates. I've been doin stuff here and there, but nothing significant. Also I've gotten bored with build threads. I'm gonna try and get back to it. more pics and stuff coming

We had some nasty winter weather a few weeks back, that re-occured a few days ago in the form of fucking freezing rain. Drove my truck all the way to work on ice. Pretty fucking scary. Had some fun a week ago when the snow hit and we got 2-3 inches.

12200820156_2a0a294c8c_b.jpg
Untitled by Yatesphoto47, on Flickr

12200821336_1da46107d9_b.jpg
GOPR0305 by Yatesphoto47, on Flickr

12200207235_3ca3ee9dfb_b.jpg
GOPR0303 by Yatesphoto47, on Flickr

12200822076_6a4f38d2f9_b.jpg
GOPR0299 by Yatesphoto47, on Flickr

12200822506_a7db79304c_b.jpg
GOPR0298 by Yatesphoto47, on Flickr

12200454333_f499d4f763_b.jpg
GOPR0295 by Yatesphoto47, on Flickr
  • Like 1

drove to summit last night and got an awesome parts haul. Picked up a metric shit on of interior/exterior parts from a guy for next to nothing.

Stopped by Summit Racing on the way home and bought their in house brand wide band 02 which happens to use the innovate LC1 logger/controller for 175 which was a screamin deal. Gonna weld in the bung tomorrow, and hopefully have the gauge in by the end of the week so I can look into my jetting. 

Moar on my parts haul in the AM though! 

• Like 4