620 FUNK! **NOW with Stroker!**

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also confirmed truck is getting LZ23 stroker soon! Give me about a month-2 and it should be in with a freshly rebuilt 5 speed! 

LZ23 = 

Z20E block

Z22 crank

Z20 long rods

86mm dished forged Mahle pistons

A87 Closed Chamber

.460 Racer Brown Cam

Big Z valves

Had to go back and find out how you were getting LZ23 from Z22 crank and only 86mm bore. Sorry to disappoint but this is about 2136cc. What are the specs on the pistons??? pin height and dish volume???

Had to go back and find out how you were getting LZ23 from Z22 crank and only 86mm bore. Sorry to disappoint but this is about 2136cc. What are the specs on the pistons??? pin height and dish volume???

Yeah, sometimes I forget the long rods take away from displacement and call it an LZ23 :fu: I'll see if I can find specs on the pistons. 

I know they're 4G63 pistons with full floating wrist pins. Don't remember what brand, i'll have to ask. I don't know where my notepad is with all the specs on it. 

.460 lift....that's it?

I'd bump it up...put those Z valves to use

It's not a .460, I think I wrote it down wrong, or just fat fingered the keyboard when I typed that out. 

Cam specs: 275 degrees at .025"lift, 250 degrees at .050" lift and .475" lift at zero lash.

Reference:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/31098-help-identifying-a-racer-brown-cam/

Nope. Stroke does not change, cannot change. Rod length can determine how far up the piston travels in the cylinder though and this can reduce compression if below the deck and can increase it if above. It is only safe to go up to 0.3mm above the deck. This leaves just under 1mm of gasket thickness to spare between the piston and the head for 'rod stretch' at ultra high RPMs.

86X92 is every bit a stroker motor. Actually a long rod stroker I guess.

Nope. Stroke does not change, cannot change. Rod length can determine how far up the piston travels in the cylinder though and this can reduce compression if below the deck and can increase it if above. It is only safe to go up to 0.3mm above the deck. This leaves just under 1mm of gasket thickness to spare between the piston and the head for 'rod stretch' at ultra high RPMs.

86X92 is every bit a stroker motor. Actually a long rod stroker I guess.

Whoa man, my understanding of how stroke is measured is WAY off. No matter, the long rod/big crank should make for a very fun motor in itself, especially combined with the bigger bore/big valves/big ports/big cam etc. I'm not at all worried about displacement. 

Stroke is the distance from the crank center line to the center line of the rod throw. On a Z22 that would be 46mm but because the crank rotates, the rod moves twice that distance so 92mm top to bottom. If the rod were 2 feet long it would still only move up and down 92mm. The bore is the other component of volume. Just visualize a tin can with the piston travel (92mm) the length of the can and the piston diameter (86mm) the width.

Area = pi r squared or 3.14 X (86mm/2 = ® 43 x 43 = 1848) = 5805.86  To find volume multiply times the stroke (92) = 534139.12 cubic mm divide by 1,000 = 534cc displacement for one cylinder x 4 = 2136.55 ccs

• Like 4

Geez, This is my old motor guys.. LOL

Built the shortblock for 1 main purpose. Boost and rebuild-ability. Small bore for as much cylinder wall strength as possible and rebuild with 1mm larger pistons in the future. Stroke for midrange torque and to build booost. With a heavily boosted engine cylinder wall strength is more important than the CC's you lose by having a small bore. 
Needless to say, probably won't see those kinds of power levels in MM's 620. :-P

Cam is the racer brown .475" hot street cam.
Pistons are Mahle Power pack and in the 4G63/64 stroker they are intended for, the same part number pistons have seen use in 700hp engines.

ARP everywhere...

2138CC

Mike you are the man  :thumbup:  I totally understand now. God I don't know what we'd do without you.

Geez, This is my old motor guys.. LOL

Built the shortblock for 1 main purpose. Boost and rebuild-ability. Small bore for as much cylinder wall strength as possible and rebuild with 1mm larger pistons in the future. Stroke for midrange torque and to build booost. With a heavily boosted engine cylinder wall strength is more important than the CC's you lose by having a small bore. 
Needless to say, probably won't see those kinds of power levels in MM's 620. :-P

Cam is the racer brown .475" hot street cam.
Pistons are Mahle Power pack and in the 4G63/64 stroker they are intended for, the same part number pistons have seen use in 700hp engines.

ARP everywhere...

2138CC

I probably won't see a whole lot of power on it for a LONG time, at least until I have something else to daily. I'm gonna enjoy 130-150HP a lot though compared to the 52 I've been driving on,.

I took it for a drive today and pounded it harder then it's even been driven before (since I've had it at least) and the damn thing just refused to give up. It's weird, every complaint I've had with the brakes, and all the crap just disappeared for an hour. Everything was perfect. It even felt like it had more midrange torque. I was sliding around making u-turns, powering hard away from lights, it was just crazy. I wasn't being too stupid though, just giving it a good romping. 

It's almost like the harder I drove it and further I revved it out, the better it ran the next time I took off. Strange.

Anyways, got all my parts ordered. Most of my stuff is here now. just waiting on gaskets and head dowels and the motor will be ready for assembly  :thumbup:  I don't know when it will go in though, I'm hoping soon. The trans will be rebuilt 100% including synchros at the same time so i'm kinda excited to get everything in perfect working order again. 

Looks nice, but the other wheels looked better to me. The solid wheel look hasn't grown on me yet :P

Now, moar lowar!

On a side note, wanna sell me those mirrors? :ninja:

Yeahhhh we'll see! I may go back depending how I like these after a month or so, idk yet. 

On a side note, how about going into Autozone to the ricer isle, and get two of them for like $9 or so a piece ;) 

Vatozone has those? I have always stayed away from the ricer aisle since I used to run honda/acuras and that seemed to be where all my friends hung out... Love how the local zone has strut tower bars and "carbon fiber" spoilers in stock for hondas...

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll definately bite back my pride to pick up a set of those mirrors. They look really nice.

Not gonna lie, when I picked up those tires I oogled your truck. Still trying to figure out if I can go as low as your without bottoming out the crossmember on the concrete hump that some dipshit decided to put right in the middle. Landlord said they did it to keep "them loud honduhs" out.

Vatozone has those? I have always stayed away from the ricer aisle since I used to run honda/acuras and that seemed to be where all my friends hung out... Love how the local zone has strut tower bars and "carbon fiber" spoilers in stock for hondas...

Thanks for the heads up though, I'll definately bite back my pride to pick up a set of those mirrors. They look really nice.

Not gonna lie, when I picked up those tires I oogled your truck. Still trying to figure out if I can go as low as your without bottoming out the crossmember on the concrete hump that some dipshit decided to put right in the middle. Landlord said they did it to keep "them loud honduhs" out.

Yeah man! AZ special lol. I have NEVER seen an AZ carry spoilers or CF parts 0.o guess my store is a little more legit then most. 

My tire/rim size is what keeps me off the ground. My main issue with the current ride height is that my exhaust rubs/rattles. Speed bumps tear it up, since the torsion bars won't let you run over the crossmember. Need to get rid of those stupid things.  I'm about 1'' from my control arms colliding. 

wat do they look like at more a quarter angle shot?

they poke any?

Little poke! It's hard adjusting to my truck with less aggressive rims on it. I really liked the Eagles, and I may keep them afterall and get a wider set of tires on them (not street tires.) I want to auto-X my truck in the future but that's a long way away. 

8747353935_91d456c16b_b.jpg
_DSC0137 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8748475734_1f49cfbee0_b.jpg
_DSC0138 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8748475680_4281d2bd06_b.jpg
_DSC0139 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8748475392_8758fa844a_b.jpg
_DSC0140 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8748475194_a8b7ccd6e5_b.jpg
_DSC0142 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr