My 521 down in the lab...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dont swap the whole rear end... you crazy...

just get a center chunk with better gears and install it in your truck..

look for 720s at the yards... look inside the engine bay and look for the tag on the inner passenger fender by the firewall..

its got the gearing of the rear stamped on it... he37 = 3.7, he41 = 4.1 etc.

i think mike can clarify more if needed :lol:

The reason I was thinking the whole thing is because my wheel bearings (pretty sure) are rough and noisy. Maybe I'll quit bitching and just do the wheel bearings. I gotcha and finding the 720 gears, thanks!

different is good. when was the last time you saw a 521 with a roadster hood scoop? :P

narrowing up a toyota lsd rear end might be somthing to look at

toyota! blaspheme! haha

i was thinking some of those teardrop bulges like land speeders have ,, pop riveted on.

I had something in mind along these lines....... wait and you may see.

for some reason I like this truck

thats what I was going for!

The roadster hood scoop isn't high enough Z chopper, that valve cover is stick'n way up there.

The 70 datsun 521 likely has 437 gears in it, and from the looks of your truck wheels, you aren't going to be able to have them sticking another 1 to 2 inches farther out, so you need to just get some 720 389 gears(3.8), that will make your truck go down the hiway real good as long as you have the engine to compliment them(preferably a L20b at least), but you will struggle to haul any weight, especially if you have to start going up hill.

Fact is it doesn't look like your using this as a truck anyway, you should be fine with 389s.

The roadster hood scoop isn't high enough Z chopper, that valve cover is stick'n way up there.

The 70 datsun 521 likely has 437 gears in it, and from the looks of your truck wheels, you aren't going to be able to have them sticking another 1 to 2 inches farther out, so you need to just get some 720 389 gears(3.8), that will make your truck go down the hiway real good as long as you have the engine to compliment them(preferably a L20b at least), but you will struggle to haul any weight, especially if you have to start going up hill.

Fact is it doesn't look like your using this as a truck anyway, you should be fine with 389s.

Looks can be deceiving!

IMG_20120514_201946.jpg

IMG_20120429_110739.jpg

And I will be doing some 3.89s as long as I dont get too consumed by the new project (one in back of datsun)! so the 720 diff is wider then?

They need to be dialed in but holy smokes what a power gain!!! Can spin tire in 2nd now! lol and I may have eh em... welded eh em... the rear end. EM! for extra driving excitement... The SU's are not totally going to be tucked under the hood but much better than the weber.

this excites me i have a set of su's that will be replacing my 32/36 i wasnt sure if they would be worth it but if i can spin the tires threw second ill be happy

That is my 27 model t truck or roadster (haven't decided yet) that I plan on building over the next couple of months.I plan on taking lots of pictures thru the build.

I for some reason love the truck just the way it looks now.Are you going to put the front bumper on and the rear bumpers also.

I dont foresee bumpers in the future, theres nowhere for a rear one to go.

this excites me i have a set of su's that will be replacing my 32/36 i wasnt sure if they would be worth it but if i can spin the tires threw second ill be happy

SU's are awesome and I havent even attempted to tune them!

haha i can spin threw second and the first part of third with my 32/36 :) but i have an L20b with a rebuilt closecamber head ;)

Looks can be deceiving!

IMG_20120514_201946.jpg

IMG_20120429_110739.jpg

And I will be doing some 3.89s as long as I dont get too consumed by the new project (one in back of datsun)! so the 720 diff is wider then?

OK, let me phrase it differantly, over the long term, if you continue to use this truck like this semi frequently with 389 gears, you will start to smell your clutch every once in a while.

I tried 389s on my work truck which is a daily driver, it worked great when I drove to florida from washington, I could go 100mph as long as I was behind one of them crazy semi truck drivers that were going a 100mph in texas, but after I got back home and had to use it for work again, there was no way the clutch was going to survive long term.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I picked up a set of 3.70 gears out of a 85 720 pick n pull. Much better! I can keep up with traffic now! I noticed that the new 3rd member is iron instead of aluminum and a different shape but it bolted right in. Wayno keep iin mind that my rear tires are about 23" tall so I'm compensating with high gears. I still have lots of other work to do before canby but this should make it a bit less painful!

Well I picked up a set of 3.70 gears out of a 85 720 pick n pull. Much better! I can keep up with traffic now! I noticed that the new 3rd member is iron instead of aluminum and a different shape but it bolted right in. Wayno keep iin mind that my rear tires are about 23" tall so I'm compensating with high gears. I still have lots of other work to do before canby but this should make it a bit less painful!

It is likely you had 437s in the 70 521 with the L block, so you were likely at about 4000rpms on the hiway, so with 370 gears you are definitely closer if not under 3000rpms now, it's a big differance starting out now, not as peppy out of the hole, but you can get going a lot faster in first.

I went from 389s to 3.545s in my 521KC diesel truck, that was a big differance, but I have the torque to get it going, but steep hills are a bitch starting out.

Well heres pics from my latest efforts. The cab is reunited with the frame for good! I've got a bit more reassembly done since the pics so watch out for more updates!

SAM_0602.jpg

SAM_0600.jpg

SAM_0598.jpg

SAM_0596.jpg

SAM_0617.jpg

SAM_0616.jpg

SAM_0614.jpg

SAM_0613.jpg

SAM_0612.jpg

I like this shot, it make me want to build an open-wheeled 521!

SAM_0610.jpg

SAM_0608.jpg

SAM_0607.jpg

SAM_0606.jpg

wow man your 521 is very very cool, and gave me very good ideas for mine. One question, your truck brought the sway bar, or bought a new one?

• Like 1