My 521 down in the lab...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow looking good man I understand how you feel..I was about to drive my truck off a fuckin cliff before sick620 got a hold of me and we went to town on it.I just finished rewiring it and it was a big ass job new brake cylinders,brakes,new brake lines,electronic fuel pump,all sorts of shit but and tons of beers to go along with it. I just finished the rewiring and the only thing left is the tail lights but I'll tackle that pretty quick.And my wife thought the same of my truck and never wanted to ride in it anywhere.Anyway keep on guzzling those Mickeys and it will all come together.Now it's on to get it painted soon but I need Tail gate I don't wana grind the bondo off of it because it's cracked to hell so anyone got a tail gate for my 1967 520?

MAJOR UPDATE! I got my clutch issue resolved, installed my new heavier coil springs, mounted the gas tank, threw in some new NGK's and she fired right up!!! I couldn't get it off the jack stands fast enough. Took her on the maiden voyage last night! Its a straight fuckin' go-kart! so much excitement.

th_VID_20120409_191738.jpg

Old spring and new spring

IMG_20120408_233729.jpg

IMG_20120408_233712.jpg

IMG_20120408_235524.jpg

gas tank mounts

IMG_20120409_174206.jpg

how she sits as of right now!

IMG_20120410_134511.jpg

New longer throwout bearing collar (left) that solved my clutch issues

IMG_20120406_003723.jpg

I'll get more updates soon but I just had to let everyone know the good news.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I've been beating her around and still doin work. I got a full exhaust done 2" with a thrush glasspack, its tucked up above both crossmembers for extra ground clearance. Looks/sounds awesome! The airshocks work wonders! put 130 psi in them and hauled some shit! The proof....

IMG_20120429_110739.jpg

Thats not all. In order to have less shit sticking up above the hood, I got these babies. Now I have an almost new weber for sale. PM if you are interested.

IMG_20120430_232208.jpg

IMG_20120502_111451.jpg

IMG_20120502_111442.jpg

They need to be dialed in but holy smokes what a power gain!!! Can spin tire in 2nd now! lol and I may have eh em... welded eh em... the rear end. EM! for extra driving excitement... The SU's are not totally going to be tucked under the hood but much better than the weber.

IMG_20120502_111503.jpg

Since I put the SU's on, I realized that I needed a header now...

IMG_20120503_165442.jpg

thanks to spudly13, who promply dropped this off today after I sent him an E-mail last night. I should have waited to get exhaust but I didn't know I was doing a header 2 weeks ago.. oh well.

very good choice it carb upgrade. what head is on the engine and what pistons in the engine?

Flat top pistons and an A87 peanut head.

i have to ride in this if you go to canby...

I plan on being there, We can joyride as long as you dont mind that theres no passenger seat! My friends have had plenty of fun sliding across the floor lol! atleast I put the seatbelts in...

there is a guy on the realm that modded a 510 hood by adding the 240z bulge and it looked pretty good, so considering the simularities between the 510 and 521. besides I think a cowl induction hood would look like crap after all the great work that went into this truck so far.

Did a little cutting out in the lab last night........

IMG_20120512_001057.jpg

There is much less sticking up than I thought

IMG_20120512_002844.jpg

IMG_20120512_115616.jpg

I plan on putting a bump/hump to cover it but now I know exactly how big it needs to be.

I was wondering if a 720 rear diff is wider drum to drum than a 521 rear diff? Reason being I want better gears. I would rather swap the entire rear end if possible.

dont swap the whole rear end... you crazy...

just get a center chunk with better gears and install it in your truck..

look for 720s at the yards... look inside the engine bay and look for the tag on the inner passenger fender by the firewall..

its got the gearing of the rear stamped on it... he37 = 3.7, he41 = 4.1 etc.

i think mike can clarify more if needed :lol: