My 521 down in the lab...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kudos man always wondered if anybody would ever body drop a static truck and be hold u have... your fab work is very nice i really like the stance with the rims too .... so original of a idea with such fabulous execution, so clean... nice job man keep it up u been added to my thread list to follow...

• Like 1

. Does anyone know of a good machine shop around here? I had carquest do all the machine work on my chev motor and its still running. I might just go back there.

Truck looks awesome :thumbup:

I highly recommend AutoSport in Seattle. Those guys know their stuff. Tell them Steve with the Datsuns sent ya :D

• 2 weeks later...

kudos man always wondered if anybody would ever body drop a static truck and be hold u have... your fab work is very nice i really like the stance with the rims too .... so original of a idea with such fabulous execution, so clean... nice job man keep it up u been added to my thread list to follow...

I was just dying to conquer a body drop! If funds would have allowed, there would have been bags, KA swap, etc..... but $150 craigslist coilovers and some money spent in the rem bin at everett steel fit my 'rat life' budget more accordingly. And I think I'm more of a 'hot rodder' than a mini-truck guy, so static and cheap is how I'm rolling!

Hey man. truck looks sweet. I still have those cloth coverd spark plug whires if your still interested.

I do, if you still have them at canby this year I will get them then!

Been going like a madman! so heres the proof.....

THE SINGLE WIPER!

SAM_0531.jpg

SAM_0510.jpg

welded the hole shut

SAM_0511.jpg

lengthened the arm on the motor and the linkage to get the extra 'swing'

SAM_0512.jpg

heater sits flat on the tunnel now rather than firewall. STILL LOOKING FOR A HEATER CORE THAT DOESNT LEAK

SAM_0517.jpg

flipped the shifter 180deg, bent it some, the shorted it so it doesnt whack my knee while shifting

SAM_0516.jpg

had a new shorter e-brake cable made at a marine cable shop. $3.28!

SAM_0518.jpg

flipped the gas pedal 180deg so the hinge is on the left side, then spent some time bending it to contour.

SAM_0519.jpg

The mazda b2200/pl521 hybrid steering column. $35 pick-n-pull, $6 oil seal, $35 CL grant wheel, $27 adapter and here it is!

SAM_0522.jpg

still need to weld in a patch where it comes through the firewall

SAM_0527.jpg

had to weld on an extension to attach the datsun turn signal housing because the mazda column tapered down

SAM_0523.jpg

SAM_0524.jpg

SAM_0526.jpg

SAM_0528.jpg

I cut the steering shaft about 1 1/4" from the bearing, and TIG welded a splined end from and extra mazda rag joint I snagged (V grooving the shit out of it and clamping them in a piece of angle iron) Then cut the column about 2" up from the bearing. I was able to get the right sized oil seal to press in. I'm happy with the way it turned out

SAM_0529.jpg

WOW is is all i can say. Love the thread and awesome fab work.

You have made me look into front coils now... Damn you! Although im not sure on the legalities over here.

I have just signed up from Western Australia and it's refreshing to see other 521's as there are none left over here (apart from mine)

Can't wait for updates... Keep it up

WOW is is all i can say. Love the thread and awesome fab work.

You have made me look into front coils now... Damn you! Although im not sure on the legalities over here.

I have just signed up from Western Australia and it's refreshing to see other 521's as there are none left over here (apart from mine)

Can't wait for updates... Keep it up

There will be a full report on the ride/handling as soon as this baby is on the road! but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be better than torsion bars on bump stops :P

hell yeah man!

get some!

i cant wait to see the first video of it driving!

you have no idea, its been 4 months!

Nice to see another tattooed 521 builder!

Yeah dude! Tattoos are my day job! just added a link to my website, chec it out!

Ya I do tattoos on the side, more of a hobby, I run a shop full time for my day job, my truck is on here, its the one in my avatar, I need to get back on it as it isn't finished yet!

Oh yeah I've seen your build.. fuckin savage! get it on the road! the prerunner trucks you have are for real, I used to really want to build a ranger prerunner then I realized that I live in washington and cant afford those parts..... then I found a datsun. Sounds like were the same but opposites, I run a tattoo shop full time and do fab on the side! haha

Right on, ya my ranger is like 95% done right now that's why the datsun is on lag, when something starts and runs its hard not to work on it, roll tht thing down to some so cal shows this summer, maybe ill have mine going by then, I also have a buddy with a bagged and bodied 320 and another with a 521, we can get a lil posse rolling haha

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I completly missed the whole part about tattoos until now. I havent had easy access to the internet for a bit... Yes I have a few tattoos you could say, I've been getting them for about 6 years. Got them up and down my arms and legs and a big ol' stomach and chest piece in the works almost done actually. I knew from high school I never wanted a job that would limit me in being me or my ability to get tattooed. I knew by 21 I could make a living looking however the hell I want so thats when I moved to the hands. I have never once regretted it. I have no plans for the neck or face anytime soon.

Anyways..... updates! Well, heres a teaser, I'm going to take more photos with my actual camera tomorrow.

IMG_20120226_223551.jpg

Well heres pics from my latest efforts. The cab is reunited with the frame for good! I've got a bit more reassembly done since the pics so watch out for more updates!

SAM_0602.jpg

SAM_0600.jpg

SAM_0598.jpg

SAM_0596.jpg

SAM_0617.jpg

SAM_0616.jpg

SAM_0614.jpg

SAM_0613.jpg

SAM_0612.jpg

I like this shot, it make me want to build an open-wheeled 521!

SAM_0610.jpg

SAM_0608.jpg

SAM_0607.jpg

SAM_0606.jpg