My 521 down in the lab...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

WTF is going on with ratsun? I just typed up an update and the 'server was too busy' to post it. frustrating. I'm not retyping it! Installed my new master cyl and all the brake lines. Now I just need to bleed them! Heres the proof>

IMG_20120321_113829.jpg

very nice. whats that sensor/switch on the top there? brake fluid pressure?

Well I went out this morning and bled the brakes and clutch. I may have to re-bleed the brakes, I was on the 3rd wheel and ran the fluid reservoir dry. I was able to push the bubbles through but I'm not sure if air made its way down to the rear lines. Finished them up and seemed to have a firm pedal but we'll see what happens when I drive it.

hell yeah!

you driving it yet?

Not yet but its gettin so close! I need to figure out my gas tank sich... I found a rust hole through the stock tank. fuel cell, beer keg, a fuckin gas can and a bungee cord who knows!

Before you try posting anything that took time to write, COPY IT!

If I were to guess what is going on with Ratsun, I would say the server wants us gone.

I know, I usually do... the one time!

Skyblue: Thats my brake switch. apparently thats how they were on the 69 and older 521's. Mines an early 70 model so I'm guessing they just had some leftovers to use up. The tards at autozone were trying to sell me the one that is actuated by the pedal. I had to go to napa to figure that one out!

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help! With everything back together and the truck sitting on the ground, my coilover springs are too soft. The spring rate is unknown so I'm unsure how much stiffer to go. does anyone know roughly how much the front end of a 521 weighs?

edit: looks like people were talking about using 400 lb spring with beebani's setup, anyone know how stiff these feel under the truck?

My old 620 KC worked out to approximatley this (and I am going on memory):

2650 lbs total

1450 lsb front

1200 lbs rear

So approximatley 725 lbs per corner in the front, some of which is unsprung weight of the control arms, wheels and tires. I think I ordered 400lb springs to start with, but that was a while ago and I haven't worked on that truck much lately.

The stock tank had a small hole in it that I've patched, we'll see how she holds up. I ordered up front springs, they should be here tomorrow. QA1 450 in/lb. I want it to be on the stiff side so I can run it as low as possible! The trans will get pulled hopefully on my next few days off so I can address my spacing dilemma. I'm so close to driving it!!!

• Like 1