My 521 down in the lab...

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks hacked I'm really excited how its turning out. Got the pass side stepup done today, pics soon to follow. And as I was cleaning up my driveway this morning, I realized someone stole my transmission! I guess I won't be trying to unstick it from 3rd after all.... Fucking tweakers.

• Like 1

Keep it up, you are doing great work! I remember when mine looked like that;

MX52011-22-08024.jpg

MX52011-22-08023.jpg

Now it's done and I love it! All of your hard work will be worth it.

MX520016-1.jpg

MX520018.jpg

Bob thanks for the encouragement! I remember reading through that build. very nice. It was my 5 speed dogleg they took. and now its gettin scrapped just for a couple bucks.... I do have a stock 4 speed but Im hoping to put in the 720 5speed when i get it. My new brake worked pretty good. got a few things done.

passenger side is done, forgot to grab a pic. but heres the driver side ready to weld in.

IMG_20111101_190159.jpg

IMG_20111101_190124.jpg

I wont be running a bumper so i cut the mounts off to clean up the engine bay.

IMG_20111101_160748.jpg

cut off the torsion bar cross member. FUCKING COMMITED NOW! lol love it

IMG_20111101_160728.jpg

Also started to wire wheel the frame, its cleaning up nice!

Thanks guys! I love having a build thread, everyones feedback and words are great. its keeping me motivated! I have to say, I do not have a mentor on this project and I have never done this before. I havent really even done much metal fab since high school, and I'm almost 24 now. I was super into it then. I just had the urge to do this and said fuck it. I'm gonna take my DD and CUT IT COMPLETLY APART and hope it works out. I'm just running off of a plan in my head and what I THINK will work. I really dont know what I'm doing. but it is somehow just happening. and it is fun. Anyways enough with that. I got more stuff welded in this morning before work. Plan on hitting it hard on my next days off. More updates soon!!!!

Well all the pieces of the puzzle are put together, it just needs to be fully welded. Its mocked up back on the frame and I must say I'm very happy with the way its coming out! The roofline is what gets me, sits just over 52"

IMG_20111108_212914.jpg

IMG_20111108_213004.jpg

IMG_20111107_171703.jpg

no more exposed frame rails

IMG_20111107_171626.jpg

IMG_20111107_171109.jpg

did all this with a shitty cold.

• Like 2