1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

I would like to club them. :lol:

So the red truck will be making the drive to Canby, just gotta patch the tank again. Hopefully Ted will bring the replacement tank with him :fingerscrossed:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to club them. :lol:

So the red truck will be making the drive to Canby, just gotta patch the tank again. Hopefully Ted will bring the replacement tank with him :fingerscrossed:

Dammit dammit dammit! I wanted to see the green truck in person lol

• 2 months later...

I want to thank uberkevin for driving up and delivering this 720 4x4 transmission. It has the lowest 1st gear available @ 3.592 and is a wide ratio trans so it should be good on the freeway as well.

IMG_1657.jpg

I started pulling the drive shafts to get the transmission pulled and discovered the rear is no longer transferring rotational force to the wheels :rofl:

Time to swap that bitch.

I dropped the Toyota E-locker off at Randys Ring and Pinion to get re-geared to 4:88 to match the front. I figured I would have the pros do the rear for longevity's sake. Then I got to work cleaning up the axle, broke out the plasma for the first time in a while.

IMG_1664.jpg

Still have a bit of cleanup to do with the flap disc and I need to stop into Olympic 4x4 for some brackets and bushings

I also jumped on a custom aluminum glove box insert from Rods Mods https://www.facebook.com/rodsmods.singleton

Thanks to EagleAdam for the hookup   :)

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

Well built with all the mounting holes predrilled and a good deal at $75. :thumbup:

• Like 4

Got some parts.

F350 flares, they are huge! I will be cutting them up a bit, they will probably end up looking something like ZG flares. They should tie in nicely with the front bumper.

IMG_1677.jpg

Looks good with the canopy on there. :)

IMG_1678.jpg

Picked up springs and the necessary brackets and parts to get the rear installed. Still waiting on my diff regear but I hopefully can get the housing hung this weekend. The steel tubing is for the new rear cross member.

IMG_1705.jpg

I figured out why the seal went out on the transmission. The t-case mounting allowed it to move off center and tore up the seal. I am going to rework the t-case to transmission bracket, clocking the T-case up and build a new cross member/skid plate off the reworked bracket. I'll get some before pictures taken tomorrow before I pull the t-case and trans.

• Like 2

Me too, although sometimes it scares me. 

Let me show you what I'm working with. 

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

That is all getting cut out and redone. 

...and the recently installed a properly torqued/retorqued u-bolts. Guess these are just a bad idea in general on this truck, they are already starting to crush.   :lol:

IMG_1880.jpg

Got some parts.

F350 flares, they are huge! I will be cutting them up a bit, they will probably end up looking something like ZG flares. They should tie in nicely with the front bumper.

IMG_1677.jpg

Looks good with the canopy on there. :)

IMG_1678.jpg

Picked up springs and the necessary brackets and parts to get the rear installed. Still waiting on my diff regear but I hopefully can get the housing hung this weekend. The steel tubing is for the new rear cross member.

IMG_1705.jpg

I figured out why the seal went out on the transmission. The t-case mounting allowed it to move off center and tore up the seal. I am going to rework the t-case to transmission bracket, clocking the T-case up and build a new cross member/skid plate off the reworked bracket. I'll get some before pictures taken tomorrow before I pull the t-case and trans.

Is it just me, or are those springs looking a little stiff for a light pickup?

They are designed specifically for Toyota wheelers. 

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Leaf_Spring_Kit__Rear__3_/i_0_0_350/_110016-1-KIT.aspx#.VAN7ofldW_M

Rear Leaf Springs

Our rear springs feature a full military wrap on the front and the 1/4 wrap on the rear. Spring rate is 235 lbs per inch. Leaf pack is 7 leaves plus a special torque leaf to reduce axle wrap. Springs are 56 5/8" long as measured along the top leaf. Pin to center of front mount is 27 1/2", pin to center of rear mount is 29 5/8". New poly bushings are included with springs. These springs are longer than stock and will require hanger relocation.

They are 10" longer than the ones in the truck, should be a plush ride and no more crappy lift blocks.

That's awesome :D

Pulled some stuff today, interesting the differences between the transmissions. I am going to have to add a speedo to the T-case I think. 

Recycling

IMG_18842.jpg

Transmission pics showing the differences. Looks like the bells are the same and the tailhousing is a different casting. Will still work just fine I think.

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

Damn hope it does still work for you.

Well you'll make it work.

Also I didn't mention the speedo gear not being there cuz I forgot all about it! Sorry about that man, but you can add a speedo to the t case?

Yep, there is a threaded spot on the output of the t-case. 

You ever get too scared of it I know a good home for it

I'm fixing all that stuff :D

From my measurements, as they were mounted in the Toyota I was able to measure, the springs and mounts alone will give me 3" of lift. He was running the 4" spring, so that's 1" less there as I got the 3" springs. The rear of my truck could use 1" to get it level with the front so that leaves me with 1" to lose with the shackle mount which should be no problem.

Spring comparison, keep in mind there is no weight on the new ones.

IMG_1900.jpg

and my pinion is 9.5 degrees off vertical (just for my reference later)

IMG_1901.jpg

Everyone likes pics right?

• Like 2