1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

The front seat mount channel is right where I need clearance. I have the trans tilted up in the back compared to how it used to sit. I'm going to drop it down enough to clear the floor at the t-case and see where everything sits. If I can get it flat and mostly tucked I can live with that. I'll be putting a skid plate under the t-case anyway and it will be 100X better than it was before with the t-case hanging 5" below the frame unprotected.

We used to use 1 " spacers between the frame and cross member to help with driveline angles

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's the general idea, building the new cross member eliminates any need for spacers.

I'm currently leaning towards using the cradle as the spine of the cross member instead of having a separate cross member. I'll have to attach to it anyways so....

We used to use 1 " spacers between the frame and cross member to help with driveline angles

Huh, must have been a YJ.  :D  I've had three and my daughter has one now. 

Ya Steve, you already posted that one, but I think it should be in your signature so I can see it every time you open your fingers.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 1

Got a turtlehead pokin out....

I think I can live with this. will just need to dimple the floor now.

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

Tacked on the frame plates. 

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

Got my bushings assembled

IMG_2169.jpg

Fwd bushings.

IMG_2175.jpg

Running 2 sets for the cradle. I'm going to have to address the motor mounts as well eventually, hence the 3 sets earlier. 

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

Going around the driveshaft something like this.

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

That's it for today, off to hang with my girls. Tube time hopefully tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

I love where I work and what I do, the current tool I am working is for Charleston and they are very schedule driven.

The construction there at Everett should be the new composites facility, will be some pretty cool stuff coming out of there. What do you do at Boeing?

Oh yeah Charleston, I think they finally got straightened out down there for the most part. And I think New construction if for 777 wings (i don't know I just hate what it does to the west parking lots)

I am currently a structures mechanic on the 747 all the way up front in business class/cockpit area. Rarely get to see the final product since I ain't allowed on the tarmac anymore but I know what's in them walls. Working towards qa so that I can make a couple dollars more an hour and quit beating my body sensless though

Got a little done over the weekend.

Figured out the angle for my bushing notch on the drivers side. Passenger side stuff is a little more complicated.

IMG_2187.jpg

Tubes to connect the cradle to the frame side bushings.

IMG_2188.jpg

Around the front output. This will be the lowest point, I may move it up a bit....or not.

IMG_2189.jpg

Straight shot over to the drivers side.

IMG_2191.jpg

As far as I got, 3 tubes in.

IMG_2193.jpg

I need to hook up the front shaft to make sure it clears and trim the front S tube to fit and clear. Once it's tacked together I will hook up the rear shaft and start the new cross member that's going behind the t-case, it will be right where the c-clamp is in that last pic.

• Like 1

The red truck breeds dreams of lifts. This this has it's own lift, plenty of room  :lol:

This is what I ended up with on Sunday, I didn't like it so I cut it off yesterday.

IMG_2200.jpg

I can move that tube up another inch, but it requires a new tube as that one got to short after chopping it up some more.  :ninja:

Thanks. It also allows the t-case to be unbolted separately while leaving the cross member bolted up. Will make it easy for maintenance later.

I'm not sure who made that adapter. I have another one like it in storage and also a divorced style adapter. I plan to run the patent numbers when I have the truck back together and some research time available. I've seen another type of divorced adapter on a Spencer Low 521 so it's likely not one of his.