1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

More stuff.

Axle is ground and ready for installation.

IMG_1906.jpg

Made a crappy temp fab table for reworking the transfer case to transmission adapter. Trans is upside down on purpose.   

IMG_1907.jpg

Nasty t-case, gonna have to do some work to get it to cooperate with the new trans.

IMG_1908.jpg

Picked up my regeared 4:88 e-locker this afternoon.  :devil:

IMG_1917.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dayum.......

I hate it when that happens .

I like to think of it as an excuse to upgrade. :D

It's just a small one! :rofl:

Well to be honest it was a crack until I tapped it with my mallet. I wish I would have noticed it before I spent the time unbolting everything. :lol:

You can see the crack in this picture if you look close, it's the upper trans. You can also see how they gusseted the later case. They removed the tab to the passenger side though which is sorta weird, maybe it wasn't doing much. 

IMG_1888.jpg

I'll be tying that aft mounting into the main mount in the adapter re-design. 

Spent a large portion of my day with this working towards a light press fit. 

IMG_1936.jpg

I didn't get a picture of this conglomeration before I cut it apart. Using the tube and the plate on the left to rebuild.

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

Probably on there pretty good now that it has cooled off. :lol:

IMG_1942.jpg

There we go

IMG_1943.jpg

Penetration is important. 

IMG_1947.jpg

Recycled.

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

More recycling

IMG_1939.jpg

Attachment points sorted. 

IMG_1954.jpg

May do a little something like this. I should be able to notch the square tube into the stock tranny mount and weld it up to the plate . 

IMG_1953.jpg

That's awesome :D

Pulled some stuff today, interesting the differences between the transmissions. I am going to have to add a speedo to the T-case I think. 

Recycling

IMG_18842.jpg

HAHA I remember when me and Frank welded some of those brackets.  haha We didn't have much time to get something slightly better setup.  Since the frame was in the middle of the weld shop on a Saturday!   If you only could have seen what was holding the transfer case in.... So scary.  I don't know if you heard the reason I got the 4x4 frame, a kid had it and the transfer case was able to move A LOT which over time killed to small drive line that connected the transfer case to the tranny.  He was at speed when it failed, it came through the tranny tunnel!  

• Like 1

Would a rectangle tube be any better in a twist than a square tube?  How big was the chunk you posted earlier?

Round tube would be the best torsionally. The square tube is the heaviest stuff I have on hand, it's 2 X 2 X .25 wall so it should be stiff enough for the cradle. There is also a tab on the t-case that I will be using with a sway bar end link to the cross member that will help a lot with the torsional forces. You can see it in this pic at the very bottom by the fwd yoke, it will most likely get a gusset added.

IMG_1908.jpg

HAHA I remember when me and Frank welded some of those brackets.  haha We didn't have much time to get something slightly better setup.  Since the frame was in the middle of the weld shop on a Saturday!   If you only could have seen what was holding the transfer case in.... So scary.  I don't know if you heard the reason I got the 4x4 frame, a kid had it and the transfer case was able to move A LOT which over time killed to small drive line that connected the transfer case to the tranny.  He was at speed when it failed, it came through the tranny tunnel!  

Scary! I was looking at the flange on the spare t-case, I guess it's the one that came with the frame, and it looks very hackish. :lol:   I can only imagine how bad the rest of it was. :sick:

I'm pretty much cutting everything out of there and starting fresh. I got all the time I need to do it, so I am taking my time to build it stout.

Thanks again for selling it to me :thumbup:

Its like a divorced transfer case that's still married

Weird huh? I kinda like that the intermediate shaft is in that housing after Jeffs story about the last cab.  :thumbup:

Looking good. 

Thanks hopefully can get some more done today. 

Actual progress today. 

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

going level to start, this should have all the drivetrain tucked

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

Tying into that aft tab

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

All tacked together for test fitment. Next I need to clean up the frame rails.

• Like 1

IMG_2076.jpg

I really like the TC bracket. Nice work!  I think that mid mount at the tab was a good idea. Can't wait to see how it works.

You are really making me want to build a crawler out of my mock up truck when I'm done. It will have VG mounts already done.  :thumbup:

• Like 1