'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

And I think I really need to paint that rail in front of the seat black now...   :rofl:

I just realized which rail you meant.  My eyes have been sore for days from rolling them thinking you meant that wee little spot on the sliders.  I now realize you mean the the white rail to which the brackets bolt.

Yes, you need to paint that.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My eyes have been sore for days from rolling them thinking you meant that wee little spot on the sliders. 

I'd like to paint that too, but not enough to pull the seat back out and disassemble it all again...    :rofl:

I think I can paint the big white rail in front of the seat with it in place, just needs a little masking...  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Do you plan on adding any support to the back of the seat?

Kirkey always recommends the back of the seat be supported by the structure of the car. I know in SCCA road racing they will not allow any seat other than an FIA approved design to be floor mounted only.

These aluminum racing seats are not design to be supported at the floor only. In a crash if mounted only at the base, they will fold-up quicker than a cheap lawn chair .

Just something you might want to research on Kirkey's website.

Do you plan on adding any support to the back of the seat?

As stated before, a roll bar is part of the eventual plan. Just not right now. Bigger fish to fry. 

I know in SCCA road racing they will not allow any seat other than an FIA approved design to be floor mounted only.

But that's also how the factory seat is mounted? So they won't allow a factory seat?

These aluminum racing seats are not design to be supported at the floor only. In a crash if mounted only at the base, they will fold-up quicker than a cheap lawn chair .

Again, wouldn't the stock seat do the same? If not more so? 

Just something you might want to research on Kirkey's website.

I appreciate everyone being so concerned for my safety.    ^_^

But in the end, it's my life, and my car, so...

I am literally never going to race this car in any sanctioned event, and the likelihood of me driving it like my grandma would is about 98%. It will also never be driven in the rain, or on any high traffic roads.     :thumbup:

Ricer...

:fu:

I'm just kidding. I'd probably baby it as well with all the work you have put into it. I think the reason reclinable/stock seats are allowed is they are usually steel framed, not aluminum. Not sure but that seems to make sense in my shot out brain...

... and the likelihood of me driving it like my grandma would is about 98%... :thumbup:

Pssshhhhh! You got any bridges for sale? Cause I ain't buying them either.

You know you'll romp it every once in a while. I agree though. Your car. Your ass in it. Not much for crash safety in these tin cans anyway.

If it was a bike, no one would be bothered with crash safety. Not sure why a tiny metal box with 4 wheels has people more worried. Just don't wreck!

Meanwhile, mask it off and spray something on that front seat support. It looks weird white.

• Like 1

You know you'll romp it every once in a while.

Yes, in fact I can guarantee I will. On an empty road, with nothing to crash into.  B)

I agree though. Your car. Your ass in it. Not much for crash safety in these tin cans anyway.

Well, this was my original retort to Tim concerning this. If you are in a collision in this crackerbox that is severe enough to warrant these concerns, you are dead. Plain and simple. The whole damn car will fold in half if you smack it hard enough to fold up the seat. 

These things are made from paper thin steel to be as light weight as possible. If safety is your main concern, do not build or drive a 1200.  :rofl:

Meanwhile, mask it off and spray something on that front seat support. It looks weird white.

Definitely gonna happen, and very soon.   :thumbup:

That is actually pretty amazing. I meant it more as a joke but it looks like you could actually repair that pretty easily with a donor clip. Now if that was a 5mph hit then it might be a different story :P

Datsunfreak, you need to find a track like this to let loose with the 1200.

5070411.001.1M.jpg

It looks like it would be a blast

No sanctioning body I know of will, for the driver's seat.

They do for Solo and Solo2, but I'm sure that's not exactly what you meant... 

Effective crumple zones is what the 1200 has.

18428.jpg

510s fold up pretty nice in front and rear impacts also, generally just like that. They just don't do so well in side impacts. And I have a hard time believing the 1200 would fair better in a side impact, but I'd be glad to be wrong.   ^_^

Datsunfreak, you need to find a track like this to let loose with the 1200.

It looks like it would be a blast

It's only geared to go about 90mph, so I don't know if it would stay up on the wall or not... :rofl:

Texas Motor Speedway has a pretty steep bank I could try it on though...    B)

• Like 1

Passenger side rail and seat mounts painted black...

10476007_10152248756512983_9617130911028

Driver's seat rail painted...

10462488_10152248756517983_5600221911028

Nice thing about using the stock seat mounts is keeping the little package tray...

10488243_10152248756527983_1689284631183

Overall view, and yes I finally vacuumed the carpet...    :rofl:

10462752_10152248756592983_1454609079250

Became a much bigger job than I thought it would be, but definitely a worthwhile improvement.   :thumbup:

Now to find/make some door scuff plates...

• Like 1

My point wasn't about trying to tell you what personal risks you should take but to point out that the manufacturer of your aluminum racing bucket says the install requires back support!

Additionally your installation goes against every recognized standard for the installation of aluminum racing seats. The discussion about proper seat belt installation is kind of pointless when the seat they are holding you against collapses after you've been rear-ended.

If you want to ride down the road sitting on a milk crate go for it, I'm all about making personal choices.

But I want others to know it's not the recommended or proper way to install one of these aluminum racing seats.

• Like 1

the manufacturer of your aluminum racing bucket says the install requires back support!

Which is definitely part of the plan.  :thumbup:

But I want others to know it's not the recommended or proper way to install one of these aluminum racing seats.

Point taken. And you are 100% correct. 

Aside from the cage/roll bar mount (which is coming) my install is per their guide. The only deviation has been that they recommend you do not use the stock slider as it may move in a collision. The main reason I'm using the slider is to make it easier to mount the seat in the car, and to try and dial in where I want it to be so I'm a good distance from the pedals and steering wheel. I think it's currently where I want it to be long term, but it will have to wait until I drive it to be sure. 

If you look closely at this photo, you'll see there are two holes drilled in the top side of the slider. This is so that when the location is finalized I can drill a hole straight through the bottom and put a bolt/nut through both sides so the slider cannot move in a collision. 

"Datsun 1200 was the first Datsun designed by computer for crumple zones. That 510 was designed earlier."

If I hadn't met ggzilla in person I wound think he was a computer database at the Nissan Historical Archives.

And if Pawn Stars ever has someone bring it a Datsun I expect them to fly him in. I can just here Rick say "Anytime I need to know anything about an old Datsun I call in my good buddy Dave".

History_Pawn_Stars_Rick_and_Roll_SF_stil

• Like 3

I sure will be glad when this thread goes to the next page so I don't have to scroll past those wrecked 1200s anymore!  I might just "Post Whore" a few to make that happen.

• Like 1