Bagged 521 on 18's

airedout

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its been a while, havent really touched the truck in a minute. Since ive finished the shop ive been building a 70's camaro for a customer, while working full time at the collision shop i work at, so i havent had a whole lot of time. Ive decided against the crew cab deal, i really just want to get it done sometime the the next 30 years :D . Im going to work on it this weekend some, probably gonna go ahead and shave the drip rails off, ive been debating it for a while, but i figure once i cut them off, i cant go back. Im also thinking about reworking the rear suspenion setup with a canitlever setup, not quite sure yet.

Also, the datto was in minitruckin magazine. I believe it was Jan 09, in the spring fling show coverage.

I been helping my buddy a little with his build here and there. Pretty wild build, fontier on 22's and 24's. Ill post some pics for your enjoyment.

this is the truck about 1 month after being purchased, if any of you know anything about frontiers you may be able to point out the subtle but intracate body work.

SSPX0339.jpg

SSPX0379.jpg

SSPX0382.jpg

SSPX0381.jpg

Front frame section is narrowed 2 inches and z'd 2 inches, built to ride low

SSPX0403.jpg

SSPX0404.jpg

SSPX0414.jpg

About the same size as the 22's

SSPX0415.jpg

begining of the cantilever

SSPX0431.jpg

SSPX0433.jpg

SSPX0437.jpg

SSPX0443.jpg

SSPX0444.jpg

IMAGE_006.jpg

IMAGE_007.jpg

IMAGE_009.jpg

Ill get some pics of my pile up after the weekend.

Not just sick... Thats fucking sick!!!! Seriously I just about stuck my nose in my monitor to get a better look.

Ive got a question though and seriously dont mean to offend, that is some awesome work and innovative to boot. Ive never built/helped/or even been interested in building a bagged lowrider but Ive messed around with quite a few 4x4s and although geometry is changed many of the same stress points apply.

Question is; on the rear "rocker" deal youve got some serious beef going on there but the pivot point on the arm itself and where it mounts to the frame looks like it may be a fail point. By design that is the point receiving the most stress on the whole rear assembly, it is essentially carrying the weight of half the truck on those two points and the cantilever compounds that even more.

Add to that the stresses applied while driving and cornering and...

On the arm itself maybe wrap a piece of metal under the pivot eye, and on the frame/bag mount/pivot mount think BEEFY. Looking at the rest of it if you do this it ill probably end up a damn work of art. Also maybe moving the pivot point directly over the frame rails so that it is solely supported by the frame instead of outboard may alleviate some of the torsional stress on the frame rails that is going on.

I seriously mean no offense and dont want to rain on your parade and Im not an engineer, it may be more than strong enough as is but I cant help but think how something is going to act with 250 pounds of tire on each corner with 5000 pounds of truck attached is going to react during a "sudden traction" moment with the skinny pedal to the floor... Its just me:lol:

Keep up with the pics and progress too Im seriously digging everything about this thing except that its not going under a 521KC.

Not just sick... Thats fucking sick!!!! Seriously I just about stuck my nose in my monitor to get a better look.

Ive got a question though and seriously dont mean to offend, that is some awesome work and innovative to boot. Ive never built/helped/or even been interested in building a bagged lowrider but Ive messed around with quite a few 4x4s and although geometry is changed many of the same stress points apply.

Question is; on the rear "rocker" deal youve got some serious beef going on there but the pivot point on the arm itself and where it mounts to the frame looks like it may be a fail point. By design that is the point receiving the most stress on the whole rear assembly, it is essentially carrying the weight of half the truck on those two points and the cantilever compounds that even more.

Add to that the stresses applied while driving and cornering and...

On the arm itself maybe wrap a piece of metal under the pivot eye, and on the frame/bag mount/pivot mount think BEEFY. Looking at the rest of it if you do this it ill probably end up a damn work of art. Also maybe moving the pivot point directly over the frame rails so that it is solely supported by the frame instead of outboard may alleviate some of the torsional stress on the frame rails that is going on.

I seriously mean no offense and dont want to rain on your parade and Im not an engineer, it may be more than strong enough as is but I cant help but think how something is going to act with 250 pounds of tire on each corner with 5000 pounds of truck attached is going to react during a "sudden traction" moment with the skinny pedal to the floor... Its just me:lol:

Keep up with the pics and progress too Im seriously digging everything about this thing except that its not going under a 521KC.

Thanks for the compliments!

The ratio on the bellcranks is only a slight bit over 1:1.3, so yes you are correct about the forces acting on it. At the air bag you are appling roughly 1.5x the vehicles rear weight at any given time. For one, the center piviot point is not finished yet. It will be internally gusseted with 3/8 plate and the boxed with 1/4 plate. The frame is 3/16 and the bag mounts and gussests are 1/4 plate. Ive done quite a few setups with a more conventional bag on bar style with a leverage ratio of more than 1:1.5 with less structure. I can deff see your point if we were talking about something that with something that would be going off road. extreme articulation is hell on mounting points, while conventional driving is not so bad. The joints in the the 4 link are superpivots (johny joints) and flex quite well, which takes a great deal of stress off the 4 link mounting points. And with the wheel and tire clearance running 22's and 24's, it wont be hitting sides at all

Il make sure to post some more pics as he gets a little further.

that frontier came from atlanta right? i have seen that guy tear it down 2-3 times to do all the body work. nice work, can't wait to see you do it to the datto!

Yeah, hes actually up in lawrencville. I worked with him at a shop over by stone mountain. Worst job i ever had. Now we are both working over by gwinnett place mall.

what did you get the right hand conversion from ? I have a 71 521 and that shit looks sic. I would like to do somthing like that. Could you contact me at (kjs71521@yahoo.com) and let me know whats up !! Thankz.

Right hand conversion???? No idea where you got that idea from.......... :confused:

• 1 month later...

hey whats up? first of all wanted to say ur trucks looking good! i picked up a 71' that im tring to bagg but its alil different that im used to (s10) and was wondering how to set it up? what type of mounts did u use etc??? any info on this would be greattly appreciated!! also was wondering if u will be attending the BGN????

• 2 months later...

As of right now, im looking to sell for my datsun 521 the whole frame, suspension, and rear axle. Im going a diff route with the frame and suspension and wont be needing this setup anymore. It lays true rail front to rear on a 215/35/18 and im sure it will lay a 225/35/18, and can easily be converted away from the shock wave setup. Noy really sure whwat its worth, but im open to offers.

i may have missed it but what does your steering look like? I'm trying to get my frame on the ground with the stock suspension and 185/60/14's but I found out that the ball joints on the tie rod don't flex that much. What was your solution?

i may have missed it but what does your steering look like? I'm trying to get my frame on the ground with the stock suspension and 185/60/14's but I found out that the ball joints on the tie rod don't flex that much. What was your solution?

you will need to notch the frame for the tie rods to clear

1220200663015AM21111.jpg

note the notch forward of the engine crossmember

Edited by airedout