Bagged 521 on 18's

airedout

actually now that i think about it they do a lil get together every week at a place called quaker steak and lube in the clearwater area. i think it's like thursday nights around 8 ish. anyway the last time i went it was all the normal people that go every week, but right when i pulled in there was a nice ass 510 racer sittin there. SSS motor (coulda been a clone) box flares, wide ass rims, stripped interior, role cage. it was upgraded with new guages and new tires and a new fuel cell and all that kinda stuff. it had the classic bre paint scheme. never did meet the owner tho, waited around for about 20 minutes to talk to him, nobody ever came around, none of my buddies knew him. anyway my point is that even if you don't want to deal with the bullshit on tamparacing.com it's still a really good source for contacts at garages and if you get involved in the scene you'll meet people that are the people you want to meet or know the people you want to meet.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
That basement still has a lot more room than my place!

Really nice work Dwight!!! Got a Corvair wgn project going too??

The corvair wagon was a project i started on a long time ago, and will finish one day. Its halfway through a 2 door conversion that uses the coupe doors which are longer. The coupe doors are also shorter, so it will be getting around a 2 inch chop. I have an s10 front frame clip sitting around for it, and a small block. 18's and 22's. One of the days ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have been working on my truck a little here and there. Ive been making some pretty decent progress too. I got the gas tank mounted up and have been working on shaving the bed rail. There are a few inherent problems with just cutting it off like the truck pictured below:

beige-02.jpg

If you just cut it off, the rail is too low and doesnt look right at the cab, it doesnt even come close to lining up with the body lines on the cab. I started off my making a new rail at the original hieght of the bed and moving it in about an inch or so, and am now working on making my fillers. Heres some pics, enjoy:

Ugly bed rail:

picture017qw0.jpg

Bed rail moved in:

picture026tf0.jpg

picture024qi7.jpg

picture023xe4.jpg

Gate welded up

picture025zz0.jpg

Fillers on tailgate in bare metal:

picture012ro1.jpg

picture013vs6.jpg

Painted filler (to keep from rusting):

picture016uu4.jpg

picture015zm1.jpg

Im working on finding a KA for it and I have also been in contact with my graphic artist about doing the pin stripe work and air brush work, when this thing goes to paint be prepared for some wild shit!!!

BTW: im driving this truck from ATL to panama city florida in March for Spring Fling (in primer, body work done), even if i have to do it with the J13 (which would make it a long slow trip!!!

Thats a whole lot of work. I just wish I had the time and money to do that to mine. I will let you live my dream:lol:. mines lowered 4" but I have no bags, just static I guess. I'll bet you either love welding or hate it by now. Looking good though. Keep up the good work!

Wow that totally changes the body lines! hey did you ever get that dash i sent you?

Yeah, i got it a long time ago!!! LOL

One thing that shaving the rail made me notice was that the body line goes up on the body from front to back. The rear is almost 3 inches higher on the body than the front. If anyone doesnt believe me, go out and measure your 521 :D

I'm a fan of the hooks on my truck but I daily drive it and haul tons of shit around. In your situation I would cut them off for sure, I always wanted a 521 with that bed mod! I like it :D It looks so much cleaner! Keep the pics coming there great!