1971 521

jon521

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 5 used 195-60-15s today for free from work, pretty sweet. im starting to look at chevy rallys now, just to change it up a bit. i love these wheels, and if i do switch i will not be getting rid of them.

Took a few pics while waiting for a friend today

230425_10151081327183589_437915977_n.jpg

430379_10151081328438589_1449129907_n.jpg

man bummer i just traded off some a few monthes back.... i got another set but there kinda rough even though there powdercoated.....there like a og rally not a blazer rally which has the square holes around the center...i will keepmy eyes out in my 4x4 cirles for u

• 2 weeks later...

ya no shocks right now :( probably eating the shit out of my tires. i am going to make the shock towers taller. so in the back i have 3 inch blocks, 2 leafs pulled, and flipped the overload spring and put it on top of the pack.

ya the bottom one, and it should be the thickest one, maybe 1/4 inch thick? i just put on the top of the pack, then flipped it over so it would kind of push the other springs down. if you are going to do it, you will need a C clamp to compress the pack together so you can put in the centering bolt through the middle of the pack

ok maybe raise it up a 1/2 to a 1inch

your crazy hainz.... needs more low out back... need the 720 spring swap ... look at phixius truck it sits so level and nice ....but u really need shocks dude....no shocks really...u need a mini notch out back from some 5 inch tubing... your back will thank u

ya the bottom one, and it should be the thickest one, maybe 1/4 inch thick? i just put on the top of the pack, then flipped it over so it would kind of push the other springs down. if you are going to do it, you will need a C clamp to compress the pack together so you can put in the centering bolt through the middle of the pack

careful this old minitruck trick can have a real crappy end seen leaves break/explode under clamping and years of use.... this is not a new concept minitruckers i n the 80's were doing it ....easy de arching but its quick simple and should most definately be temporary....truck looks good ...photochop out the h20 car though....hurting your street cred... lol :devil: :rofl:

i have shocks in the back, just not in the front. thanks for the tip on the rear springs, i will keep that in mind. would 720 4x4 springs really make that much of a difference? if so i will look into doing that soon. id be down for a mini notch, but i really dont want to loose any frame strength. what about 5 inch tubing?

5 inch was extreme, 3 inch would be plentyand u only notch out half the frame, u only use a section of the radius of the pipe....depending on how big of pipe u use affects how much of the radius u use...... and since most beds have about 1 1/4 space between frame and bed i have taken 1x3 and reinforced over the notch for about 18"

See how the eye that holds the bushing is centered on the end of the leaf spring, this is a 1980 datsun 720 4X4 leaf.

They only have two main leafs to start with, and they are flatter, what this does is make the ride firmer to start with, so when you hit a bump it don't move as far, where as the way yours is right now, it moves farther because you have taken leafs out.

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

so if i got those, i could just take out the two overload springs

That question is something I don't understand, as in my opinion, the lower one goes, the more springs/leafs I think one needs, so I would not be the one to ask.

I will say this, my 720 dually leafs(stock 720 2wd leafs) are perfectly flat sitting in the driveway and are resting on the what you call overloads, granted they are not the 4X4 leafs which will get you another inch lower because of how they are made, assuming they have the same spring rate as a 720 2wd leaf.

All my early 520/521 trucks have arch still left in them, so using any 720 leaf set will likely lower your truck from stock height, but whether it will get you as low or lower than you are right now is debatable.

• more leafs equal more spring rate ...so yes if lower that would be better but this is for the lows ....less arch = lower....remove leafs= lower.....fat chicks = lower.....i believe the 720s are shorter too ....ask phixius his truck runs 720s rear springs

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/44387-my-daily-brownie/