1971 521

jon521

thats exactly what i did to bleed it, but the pedal is soft and very low. but ill mess with it more on sunday. while i had the wheel off and was in there, i was able to see what i can cut out to gain some more travel, exactly what jrock was posted up earlier. 

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhh ok. i thought i could get away with just doin the front :/ haha ok well i do that on sunday and hopefully its better. id do it tomorrow, but im workin all day. maybe ill get a chance to get my truck in on one of the lifts at work and have one of my coeworkers help me bleed it

so a buddy of mine has a 4x4 720. I was telling him that his leaf springs will lower my truck (well atleast from stock, might be the same from where im at now). anyways, i told him im pretty sure that my stock leafs will lift his truck, seeing as his will lower mine. am i right? and mine should bolt onto the top of his axle like his will bolt onto the bottom of mine?

Get the two trucks next to each other, and start measuring.   If everything looks the same, and measures about the same it should work.

However, one truck is over 40 years old, and the other is over 30 years old.  There is a good possibility you could run into issues dissassembling either truck, or both.   If these truck are your daily drivers, I would suggest getting parts from a junkyard, instead of planning on using parts from one truck on the other.

In other works D F W Y T

Don't F*** With Your Transportation.

after just doing this swap this s what i found... the leafs rom a 720 are designed for a spring over axle conoversion there for needing much less arch to acheive the desired height being the axle is under the leafs....putting them in a spring under ,  like the 521 will result in about 2 inches of free drop....so conversely i would imagine the stock 521 spring, which has more arch, on a 720 in a spring over would probably net u a lift.....being the springs are taller overall due to the arch ..but in the end who cares u get his 720 springs which will give u this with 4" blocks

EE7185E9-B9A3-4CD3-B327-93B6E111EE1C-311

so just do the swap so we can find out if it lifts the 720....and see your truck moe low...

there will be some arguement to spring rate going from the 521 to the 720 spring,  i personally think there softer and ride smoother ....being less arch and less leafs inthe pack....but some will argue the converse....im just going off physically trying both

side note u will need to swap the two piece bushing in the rear of the springs from the 521 as the shackle bolt is a much larger than the 720 one ... we ended up just pressing the front bushing in from the 521 too ....it was in nice shape and the leafs  got from eagle adam had no front bushings...

i didi some research last night, 520/521/620/720 springs are all the exact same length and width. i found good info here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/9454-720-4x4-leafsprings-to-lower-your-521-or-620/

i didnt realize that i had commented on it over a year ago....

also here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/42038-720-springs-on-a-620/

so this is what ive found. they will bolt on, they will lower my truck, and i need the 521 rear bushing.

Jrock i love how that thing sits! How much travel do you have in the back? i was reading a bit of that thread the other day, i need to go back and finish reading it. there is a thread some where in 521 where a guy shows the difference between his 521 with 3in blocks and then 3in blocks with 720 springs.

DanielC, this is my daily driver, but not his

suprisingly good but if u check the thread out, on the red 521 we removed the rear bump stop and the plate on top of the rear end and used a piece of coneyor belt material to bolt in place of the snubber....with the pic above there's probably a inch and a half...but any weight i the bed and its rigid...next on the red truck we got to figure the front out ... gonna trim the frame and relocate the shock higher unless he gets all horny and drops a wad on some coilovers...then that but i think for now we will just clearance the front end re engineer a bump stop and raise the shocks since there arent any shorter shocks

hans red 521 is also his daily transportation so i have heard no complaints of kidney pain and the mods are restricted to things accomplishable in about 4 hours or two consectutive 4 hour work party's on his days off..so far its gone pretty smooth... future plans ae a pipe notch and the re dux on the front ..then more dailying

i knew it was, i just hadnt looked back for it :D

Jrock, pretty much the same story with my truck. daily, so everything needs to be done in about a day, or if i have 2 days off in a row i can do two days. and i do want to do the same thing to the front and back. 

The stock 521 leafs have a firmer ride, as they give less, if you ever rode in a 720 just after getting out of a 521, you would conclude that the 720 rides like a car in the back, while the 521 is a truck, and acts like one.

Cannot tell you how they act when they are missing leafs, other than the "do you remember when I did that" stories from other people.

In theory, you should drop another inch or there abouts using the 4X4 spring/leafs, since they are a little stronger/thicker as there are fewer of them to supposedly do truck hauling duties, but you might get even lower, as they are meant to be flat, or almost flat on a 720 when sitting unloaded, while a 521 leaf pack is not flat unless fully loaded.

Keep in mind also that the 720 is a little heavier than the 521, so it might ride higher because of that.  :rolleyes:

buy them and drive them up to me .....there's no 4x4 in the area.....i decided to get a set till i can spend some real time on my suspension...how bout we split the cost and each get one leaf that way when we par on the street it will look super dumperd to people drving by and it will be high enough on passenger side that the girlfriend doesnt open the door into the curb

• Like 1
i know adam said if you lie and said they were a car it was only 32 to per leaf as apoosed to 37 ea for trux.....so he told them it was a car on  my request...i still paid the extra he was doinfg me a favor

So your the reason stuff costs so much now.  :hmm:  :huh:  ;)  ^_^  :)  :D  :lol: rofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gifrofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gif

I'm hoping your on your way here with those 720 springs ...lol...come on we can trade off i will run them in every other season....lol......hope your bro trades too.... i wanna see them on the rear of your truck.....i see now why u run no shocks......i bought some twelve dollar specials to replace my broken shaft shock on the passenger side.........rides better but still rides on a combination of the my short snubber and mainly the shock is bottoming out .....thought maybe its time to cut my shock towers off and donate them to hans and i bag the front of my truck real quick....and run the longer shocks towers on his truck....

but my truck started making a noisey head sound on the freeway last night.....might just be in my head so rolling with a tow strap under seat ...lol.....

wtf i had three running l 20s 6 months ago now i only have the one in my goon...

So your the reason stuff costs so much now.  :hmm:  :huh:  ;)  ^_^  :)  :D  :lol: rofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gifrofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gif

dont look in my tool box when i leave cause i stole a plethora of fasterners qand brakets and various other small items too...i have two trucks worth of spares for the plastic interior clips for my mazda....and enough factory interior screw from mazda for all my cars...im a clepto of sorts .......so i'm just the reason for the tool box search :devil: