jon521

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the block oil fitting is a 1/8 BPT

they make adapters for the common. 1/8 NPT

if you really want ot see if the oil pump works just rmove the filter and if shoots out then it works.

I persosnlly went back to the wire sender as I have a few oil lines break. hgate for it to break and you donthave a stock sender in the glove box as youll run the motor out of oil.

I had a L16 that the bearing was blockin the feed hole and still ran 20K miles on it. Took motor apart and notice the center crank bearing journal bad. then notice th bearing with the hole was on the wrong side. DUH!

The threads on the oil pressure switch are not a normal 1/8-28 NPT thread, they are a 1/8-27 ISO thread according to one auto parts store I went to, or a 1/8 BST (British Pipe Thread). Anyway the adapter fitting I got that worked, was a Edelmann number 265220.

Thanks for the inspiration. I am just starting a complete tear down and rebuild of my 1969 521. It's gonna take about a year to get this done. Enjoy the drive. I had a 1971 as my first truck in high school, oh about 1986. Fun truck and bullet proof engine.

It will be well worth every bit of time put into it! but im sure you know that already!

im running to the local yard here because i remember seeing one of the L series with a T coming of the block so they could run the idiot light and a gauge, so im going to grab that, if it is still there.

Well i got a T off a truck at the junk yard and now ive got the idiot light and a gauge now. it reads about 55 psi cold, warmed up about 40 psi at idle, about 60psi when im driving. its REALLY nice knowing what my actual oil pressure is. is that normal oil pressure? ill check my book in the morning.

i got some other goodies from the junk yard, but ive got to get some pictures first :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

havent posted in awhile! nothing really new. i might get flamed for this, but i was at the turner junkyard and found a 521 with an old school spotlight on it. it thought it was awesome i bought it along with a original owners manual, convex mirror, and a few other random goodies. I was encouraged by Radim to get the spotlight too! haha ill post some pics of my truck with it on. i really like it. I think within the next week ill be upgrading to the 65 amp alternator, will i need a different lower water outlet? the local alternator shop in salem is very helpful and said they would sell me a core first to make sure it fits and what not, then i can return it and buy the actual one. anyways, here are some pictures:

521_zps8128c8cd.jpg

DSC03693_zps9c22a942.jpg

DSC03661_zpsd888347c.jpg

IMG_5000_zpsc972dbe2.jpg

IMG_4960_zps4061f655.jpg

photo-20_zps76ea01b8.jpg

I must say the light looks nice ...

Side note drive my truck with out shocks in a ode to u for the lows but I give u credit that's brave..... Raised one shock tower tonight hopefully finish the second once the kid goes to sleep

come do mine! how much do you want? i just havent found time to do it yet....

thanks btw about the light! it is a unity 4 1/2, with a bakelite handle :)

Truck looks great Jon!

thanks man!

I run stock 1979 620 14" disc brake rims on everything, I even have dual piston hardbody calipers on the front of the work truck with said rims, but I have to admit that I only have mikes kit on the NL320 right now with 14" dodge rims.

I also don't seem to have clearance issues with stock 14" 521 wheels on a 86 720 frame with vented rotors/calipers, fact is I have never had any stock 14" datsun wheel clearance issue to date, maybe I am just lucky.

Yes...my kit works with stock 14" if you use an 1/8" wheel spacer because they use 720 rotors.  Wayno's NL should fit stock 14's over the discs because it has Hardbody brakes/rotors.  The top hat height is different between the 720 and Hardbody.  Hardbody is taller which pushes the caliper inboard more for clearance.

Yes...my kit works with stock 14" if you use an 1/8" wheel spacer because they use 720 rotors.  Wayno's NL should fit stock 14's over the discs because it has Hardbody brakes/rotors.  The top hat height is different between the 720 and Hardbody.  Hardbody is taller which pushes the caliper inboard more for clearance.

good to know,i always thought that the caliper would not clear.But you know what the said about assuming,it is the mother of all right ups.lol