1971 521

jon521

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so heres a little list ive made for my truck.

sooner than later:

Round peep mirrors: http://www.ebay.com/...b07487&vxp=mtr\

havent decided if i want just the drivers side or both sides

Tribar head light covers: http://www.ebay.com/...6b663e7&vxp=mtr

Redo/reroute exhaust: thinking about trying to squeeze it over my trans cross member, also considering having it dump out in front of my passenger front tire

Make shock towers taller so i can put my shocks back in

POR15 my cab floor

Mount trumpet horns

Upgrade alternator

Rebuild weber DGV (get rid of DFV)

probably more to come....

LATER

See what some chevy rallys look like: definitely gonna keep my stock wheels and tires, just gonna see what they look like

Get tires for rallys

Roofing tar/sound deaden cab

H4 headlight conversion

POR15/some sort of rust protectant in the bed

720 4x4 springs

Maybe s10 front lip

MAYBE arch my frame in the rear or notch

Maybe larger sway and rear swap bar

Door switches and dome light

more to come....

just kinda wanted to throw a list out there, kind of my plans for the future and near future. open to all opinions!

Edited by jon521

yo bro... head up to olympia i can get your shocks sorted...... theres saturn alt at the pic apart.....someone stole the motor mount so its hanging out on the ground for easy removal ( if u ever have removed a saturn alt u know what i mean ......there kinda a biotch) lastly h4 conversion, i got autopals off ebay .... kinda a hella copy and i love them ... they are 27 bux a set and i got the ones with city lights .......they come with bulbs that are bright as fuck but i plan on a full hid set up with 6 k driving and 3k high beam.....lemme see if i can find the link

http://www.ebay.com/...2b471d2&vxp=mtr

they make replacements for every light........i used hellas housings for years but didnt wanna spend 220 on my 521 tired these out and figured they would be garbage but i love them......they dont leak arond the seal like i assumed a much cheaper alternative would ....but same as the hella housing i use a fatter o ring on the bulb so the wire lock down is snugger and moisture isnt allowed in .... like i said two years later and there still nice as the day i got them....i had to modify the bucket a little for city lights as the bulb portruded into the can ...i think i got a pic....

94cf2881.jpg

tough to photograph well.....they come on with my parking lights and to quote my friend "looks like u got a bad ground fro your head lights yo".....i am gonna resist them to bring them down a tad....my friend used leds in his city lights and they were like light sabers....i will run them on my goon too someone said i should run green bulbs but im not realy for tht look ... although red bulbs in yours would look hella scary ....its different and not for everyone.....some people even wire them to there blinker pulse to blink when turn signal engaged....but im not really that talented to wanna try that..

i am running 65 watts bulbs both high and low so when i key the high beam it takes about 90 sec to pop the fuse....i figured the amperage draw once with phixius and i was like twice and a half rated amperage the fuse would take.....i will be using the relays when i go to the hids.....i love the 3 k bulbs i got now (although i cant use them )... gives u that yellow driving light look when on but not a yellow lense....although the reflection of the bulb off and being yellow in side the housing gives a cool hint of yellow to the lense but only if you really look

Thanks for all the info man! what picapart has that alt? i dont know anything about saturn alt swaps. are you serious about me coming up there to do my shocks?

these were the h4 housing i was looking at,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-H5006-H5001-HALOGEN-HEADLIGHT-CRYSTAL-HEADLAMP-CLEAR-60-55-H4-BULBS-SET-/310345293690?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4842055f7a&vxp=mtr

but yours seem like a better deal. the city lights are the little bulbs inside the housing right? that would be pretty sweet. does each order only include 2 housings tho?

those are nice but i never liked the crystal cut lenses they look too ricer for me ... autopals are sold 2 fr 28.95...i personally like the city lights but there not for everyone... they sell them with out for 2 bux cheaper i think

shocks....yeah if u explain what u want ...me personally would take two stock ones cut one long on the frame and one long on the part u cut off the donor frame then weld the long frame part to the long donor part and have lengthened mounts ..then fish plate it maybe a gusset or two and boom .. more travel.... or theres other ways u could go about it .... u tell me what u want done and aim sure we can find a weekend to bang it out ... my wifes leaves for cali end of december but its only for a weekend.( i was so thinking about banging out the bag job on my 521 all quick like ... at least the fab part of it, i can plumb and wire it all at home..).....to be honest if we did it right it would only take a couple hours if that ...if it were all prepped and ready ...just depends on what we are doing i guess...

---fuck what i should do is make that weekend a hump the goon weekend and get it done ... I'm such a slacker ...with way too many irons in the fire...i gotta finsih the discs on the 521 this weekend first...lol

saturn alt is pretty straightforward and works great when done.....its the olympia pic a part...i have nabbed about three saturn alts from there...i got one just the other day , someone had unbolted it to take the head off the car and i grabbed it, no unbolting, just clipped the wires and walked off....the other one i saw there was still a full motor and its kinda a bear to get to ...but two days ago, i was out there fetching another power widow motor for a mod for my mazda and see the motor was hanging out the bottom and the alt was still there....just way easier access... i only had a 10 mm with me for the power window motor so i couldn't grab it...i think its all the way up to 97 is a good year for the 95 amp er...the mod is easy and the wiring is even easier ... if u can find my saturn alt thread its about as dumbed down with all the stupid questions i asked as it can get.....shit if i can do it u can whip it out.

..im about to swap to one in my mazda... im fed up with the ford mustang alt mod in my b2200 ... it puts out 135 amps but i have since broke three mounts, two ears off the alt, fried two voltage regs, countless belts....its been a pain in my ass ... the saturn alt i put in my 521 ...shit i haven't done shit ... hasn't even needed the belt tightened in three years....fucking thing is awesome....granted im running two compressors and a huge amp in the mazda ...and next to no amperage draw in my 521 but shit im so tired of the mustang alt...its just about got chucked today...another belt and had to fab another upper mount for the damn thing..

ill have to look that thread up. so saturn alts use a V belt i assume?

just ordered a dgv carb kit today!

also....transmission is starting to make more noise than it normally does. its not crazy or anything, just a noise i notice in first and second, almost like there is gravel in it (obviously there isnt, thats just what it sounds like)

ill have to look that thread up. so saturn alts use a V belt i assume?

just ordered a dgv carb kit today!

also....transmission is starting to make more noise than it normally does. its not crazy or anything, just a noise i notice in first and second, almost like there is gravel in it (obviously there isnt, thats just what it sounds like)

Does it make the noise in neutral with the clutch pedal not pushed in while idling?

Does it make noise while in gear with the clutch pedal pushed in, but not moving while idling?

Does it kinda vibrate while driving it easy in first and second?

Just my input, I HATE my H4 housings, and they're just like those. I found that they didn't project as far as the sealed beams. I've been looking for some BMW projectors.

thanks matt, ill keep that in mind

Does it make the noise in neutral with the clutch pedal not pushed in while idling?

Does it make noise while in gear with the clutch pedal pushed in, but not moving while idling?

Does it kinda vibrate while driving it easy in first and second?

ill look for these things next time i drive it

looks like im going to have to do that alt. swap right away. went this morning, wouldnt start, not even one crank. messed with it this evening, jump started it, started just fine, ran and idled perfectly, let it warm up, and i turned my head lights on, died imediately and wouldnt start again. so i jump started it again, ran it up to 2k rpm, turned my headlights on again and all my lights shut off and started to died again, but before it completely died, i shut my head lights off and all my other lights came back on, and it kept running....thinking my alt. has gone bad. gonna go borrow my brothers volt meter tonight and test it to know for sure.

charging system tested good, got the battery tested. its bad. getting a new battery tomorrow hopefully.

Konig, if your only making one for yourself, i wouldnt mind, but if your going to sell any, then i would mind. i am trying to copyright all my work right now.....

oh and if you make it a sticker, youre required to send me one :D

• Like 1

charging system tested good, got the battery tested. its bad. getting a new battery tomorrow hopefully.

Konig, if your only making one for yourself, i wouldnt mind, but if your going to sell any, then i would mind. i am trying to copyright all my work right now.....

oh and if you make it a sticker, youre required to send me one :D

if i do make em i wont sell em only for myself. But i wont mind mailing you one no problem.

just sayin if i do sell any it wouldnt be for a profit at all but to provide to friends since i got a hookup for stickers.

You should work on your anti-aliasing in that "Keep Calm" image.

anti-what?

if i do make em i wont sell em only for myself. But i wont mind mailing you one no problem.

just sayin if i do sell any it wouldnt be for a profit at all but to provide to friends since i got a hookup for stickers.

alright cool, just tryin to project my work. i appreciate you asking! lemme know what happens.

anti-what?

Aliasing_a.png

Aliased on the left and anti-aliased on the right. The process is used to make lines and such more fluid. You can see a few areas on the outline of the truck where the straight lines are choppy. The most noticeable areas are the hood, the top of the bed after the rear wheel, and the bottom of the bed just forward of the rear wheel. You can either anti-alias them yourself or redraw the truck in vectors so that you can resize this image to any dimension for your needs. Personally I would go the redraw route.

Aliasing_a.png

Aliased on the left and anti-aliased on the right. The process is used to make lines and such more fluid. You can see a few areas on the outline of the truck where the straight lines are choppy. The most noticeable areas are the hood, the top of the bed after the rear wheel, and the bottom of the bed just forward of the rear wheel. You can either anti-alias them yourself or redraw the truck in vectors so that you can resize this image to any dimension for your needs. Personally I would go the redraw route.

i see, thanks for pointing that out. or couldnt i just rasterize the image?