1971 521

jon521

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 75 620 I'm working with is a 4 speed, sorry wayno I hadn't said that to you and

Just seen this and thought I should had. But it looks like I'm going to try and get my tranny rebulit 'the one stuck in 4th gear'.

Now I looked in the book for my 521, it tells me how to rebuild the tranny ha

Or is this not a job for someone that's never done anything with a tranny before.

I figure it would be a great learing experience. And I do have two 521 trannys if I would screw it up.

The 75 620 I'm working with is a 4 speed, sorry wayno I hadn't said that to you and

Just seen this and thought I should had. But it looks like I'm going to try and get my tranny rebulit 'the one stuck in 4th gear'.

Now I looked in the book for my 521, it tells me how to rebuild the tranny ha

Or is this not a job for someone that's never done anything with a tranny before.

I figure it would be a great learing experience. And I do have two 521 trannys if I would screw it up.

Personally I would tear it apart(the bottom inspection plate first), and figure out why it got stuck in forth, might be as simple as a sheared dowel, put a new dowel in, and put it back together, it's just a 4 speed, if it's screwed up big time, I am sure there is someone out there that would be pleased to get $50.00 for their 4 speed, I have scrapped them out before cause no one wanted them.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks royal!

went to a meet in mac a few weekends ago, and photographer asked if he could take some pictures of my truck, and he just finished editing these yesterday so here they are

150535_428325467222179_948126156_n.jpg

390049_428325773888815_998834294_n.jpg

557624_428325550555504_880589073_n.jpg

559032_428325907222135_1142884374_n.jpg

557848_428325667222159_2001574937_n.jpg

so since it has been gettin colder, i thought i would try get my electric choke to work again (tried last winter, never got it quite right). i think something is little messed up with the linkage, because there is no inbetween. i rotate the choke so then it will close the butterflies when its cold, but then it wont kick down all the way, so i adjust it so it will kick down when its warm, but then after that adjustment, it wont come on when its cold....same issue i was having last winter. Yes i set it when its cold and yes its keyed hot.

so i was going through my part closet, and found a complete weber dgav i had forgot i had. i am currently running a dfev/av, the ones that are slightly different. so i think what i am going to do is rebuild this dgav, pull the jets out of the dfev and put them in the dgav and put the dgav on my truck. i remember when i got the dgav, some said something about the accelerator pump was bad or some pump was bad, but i know the people i got it from dont always know what they are talking about. im looking at getting this kit here: http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/92.3237.05.htm what do you guys think? figure since its from weber its probably good. this dgav is also set up for an electric choke, so i hope i can get it work.

also, i have a random tick at idle. random as in its inconsistent. for the longest time i thought it was my clutch fan just making noise because its has a lot of play in it. but now i am not sure because i just changed my oil the other day and the tick occurs way less, so maybe something pressure regulated? like my timing chain? timing chain, guides, gears, and tensioners are all new as other February of this year. i do believe part of the noise is my clutch fan and i will be taking it off soon to go electric, so i guess ill find out then if thats the noise or not. if it is my timing chain, im guessing i have just too low of oil pressure because all that stuff is new, so maybe time for a new oil pump?

one more thing, when i changed my oil, i noticed that my clutch slave was covered in either hydraulic fluid or tranny oil. i checked the clutch reservoir and the fluids the same as its always been. i think i am going to get a new clutch slave anyways tho, the dust boot was ripped of the cyl. and just hanging on the push rod. just a question tho, i have a '79 5 speed with the clutch fork that does NOT have the hole in it for the clutch slave (like the 521's do), the slave im using is a 521 slave, but i just took the push rod and ground it down to make it fit the dimple in the fork. SO should i order a slave for a '79 620, will the hydraulic fitting match up to my 521 hydraulic lines? or should i just get another 521 slave and grind the push rod down again?

thanks! and ill be doing some research on higher volume oil pumps

the tick ... maybe a plug wire grounding out but i think u would notice a miss then..

..shit i ran a df when i got my 521 off one of my mazdas.......had to port match the adapter cause the bitch whistled like a old man skipping down the street....and i never liked having to change all my linkage routing ...plus i had it jetted for a 2.2 and it ran good but had a flat spot...put a used dg on and it was mutch bettter.....sounds like the choke linkage has beeen shortened to much..to properly adjust...maybe pull it off and lengthen it 1/4 inch and see if u can have any luck tuning the choke....the electric choke is kinda finicky...i got lucky and set the one on the dg when i put it in and it worked perfect...but it came off a l series ......worked even better than the brand new df i put on my mazda....i spent a while dialing in that one even out of the box...

..on the slave just brake clean it and dry it off good .... take a sharpie and mark the fluid level.... drive a few days look for fluid on slave and check the level mark ... if there's any flucuation, its the slave....more than likely its the slave, there's no real way for tranny fluid to get there unless u have a major failure...plus there only like 19 bux so .....check the line nut on the slave to ... seenthem back off a little.... esecially if you dont use a tubing wrench ....try to only use a tubing wrenh... ihave to much experience roundig off the nut usin a open end...u can make one out of the oppisite end of a open if u dont mind cuttin on it ..

well see the tick, for the most part, went away once i changed my oil. therefore oil viscosity is greater than right before an oil change, which in turn means more oil pressure....so im not sure what it is yet

ya mine whistles a bit, my throttle linkage is all messy i hate how it looks, and it most definetly has a dead spot any where below 3k RPM, but that could be another issue. are you talking about the arm that goes from the choke butterflies to the electric coil? i dont think im going to mess with it that much, id rather just rebuild this dg and hope for something better.

i will do all of that. but just saying, i have never needed to as fluid to the clutch reservoir. something is leaking towards the back of my motor because my bell housing cover is kinda oily too. maybe rear main? whatever it is, its not horrible because i leave no drips on the ground anywhere. but i will look into that slave thing. i think i might as well but a new one, this one sometimes feels a little funny engaging the clutch. this is what it looked like almost a year ago:

DSC03408.jpg

DSC03410.jpg

yikes! that's a nasty slave.

this might seem like a dumb answer, but as far as the ticking goes have you tried adjusting the valves?

and for the rear suspension i found this: http://www.yourcustomcar.com/round-step-notch-8-inch.html

lrd-8in-round-step-notch.jpg

i would probably go this route personally cause i don't like the look of the trapezoid notches.

sky, i will adjust the valves, but im pretty sure its not coming from the valve train. but it doesnt hurt to adjust them anyway!

premade arch huh? seems pretty easy......

i dont mind the trapezoid ones, but you dont seem rounded ones as often