1971 521

jon521

Is the red one across the street in the townhouse yours too?

haha good eye. no, that is my neighbors 67 520 with the J13. he picked it up for 400 bucks out of a field. put new gas in it and drove it home haha.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been trying to go with the "rat-rod" style, and as i was looking at some of my older pictures of my truck, i think im going in the right direction :)

right on! so what's next on the list?

either spray line the interior to protect from rust and sound deaden it, maybe getting some sort of music in it, or maybe get one of those 3 core rads of ebay. one thing is for sure, im having monk do some pinstriping on it at canby :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So i did search is there any good right ups on re-indexing for dumb people as my self.And i will check my box tomorrow for that dash vent.Im trying to get my truck done.

Not for the 521. Just the 620, its fairly close but a little different. I am sure if I got under a 521 again I would remember. Or stretch could help...

Kinda remember how I did it. Jacked up the front of the truck. paint penned the splines to the arm so I knew where I started (I actually used some nail polish). I think I then removed the anchor bolts (ones that change tension on the bars). Removed the C-clips from the rear of the bars (not sure if necessary). Unwound the nut on the front of the bar some and using a block of wood to soften the blows smacked the torsion bar back. Using the paint marks as guides, move the wheel up (might need a jack under it) and when good smack the bar back forward. Reassemble. Dont tighten the torsion anchor bolts too much. Set on ground and check height. Adjust torsion keys as desired.

Kinda remember how I did it. Jacked up the front of the truck. paint penned the splines to the arm so I knew where I started (I actually used some nail polish). I think I then removed the anchor bolts (ones that change tension on the bars). Removed the C-clips from the rear of the bars (not sure if necessary). Unwound the nut on the front of the bar some and using a block of wood to soften the blows smacked the torsion bar back. Using the paint marks as guides, move the wheel up (might need a jack under it) and when good smack the bar back forward. Reassemble. Dont tighten the torsion anchor bolts too much. Set on ground and check height. Adjust torsion keys as desired.

this is correct, except you don't need to remove any clips. also, keep in mind you only loosen the nut on the front of the bar. I did a little how-to on my thread with pics if confused. scroll down to post #176.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28699-ratusn-noob/page__st__160

Sky.....great idea to tap the bar out with the loosened sun bolt. When I did my NL, I had vise grips clamped to the bar and was hitting on them....they kept slipping....your way would have made it much easier! Another thing I recently learned when pulling LCA's out of a 720.....the anchor arm that's mounted to the LCA will actually slip backwards over the torsion bar. Not much help for re-indexing, but a lot of help if you're removing the LCA's.