1971 521

jon521

on monday the truck will be going into the school shop, and wont be coming back out until it has a 5 speed and L20b in it!

I was going to ask about this, but I figured you would keep us posted on the progress, after all, the engine is out, so it seemed like it would happen soon. Have fun learning new things, because that is exactly what you are going to be doing.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! im really excited to start to pull my motor. the only thing that sucks is that i can only work on it for about an hour and a half in the mornings, and 30mins to an hour after school. its going to be slow going, but it will be worth it once im done.

Thank you! im really excited to start to pull my motor. the only thing that sucks is that i can only work on it for about an hour and a half in the mornings, and 30mins to an hour after school. its going to be slow going, but it will be worth it once im done.

You will be suprised how fast it goes when you have all day to plan what is going to be done. I guess I forgot that the engine isn't out of your truck, I don't always keep up sometimes. Sometimes you can work at home on some things if you don't wast time doing it there, instead of moving on to something else, and getting back to whatever it was after school hours at home. It took me about 5 hours to change my work truck tranny out yesterday, it was a pain in the ass, but I knew what was coming, it took a lot longer the first time. :lol: Just have a plan, and if things don't go perfect, oh well, next time it will go smoother because you will have learned how to do it this time.

I see the hood is still on, so the engine has not been removed yet, I wish I had a dry clean place to work on mine. :( I guess I would if I got rid of about 6 datsuns, which isn't likely to happen. :D

yes the engine is till in :(

i was only able to able to unbolt the oil pan on the l20b and on the L16,unbolt the trans, and take the weber off so i could bring it home to get the right jets in for the L20b. tomorrow i will remove the hood, drain the coolant, disconnect all lines, and unbolt the manifolds. if im lucky i may begin to pull the engine and trans. wish me luck!

yes the engine is till in :(

i was only able to able to unbolt the oil pan on the l20b and on the L16,unbolt the trans, and take the weber off so i could bring it home to get the right jets in for the L20b. tomorrow i will remove the hood, drain the coolant, disconnect all lines, and unbolt the manifolds. if im lucky i may begin to pull the engine and trans. wish me luck!

Your going to use the L16 oilpan, correct? The L20b oilpan may look like the L16, but if it(the engine) came out of a 620, they are not the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey man that looooks good :thumbup: how about painting the bay area (inside the engine, motor) and to tell you the truth that color is nice super nice I think it makes you the ONLY ONE WITH THAT COLOR:rofl: by the way your under hood logo of Japan is cool.

haha thanks man! i did paint the engine, its black! the engine bay i didnt really touch (obviously) but i will get to it!

after a bit of searching for a picture, this is what wheel tire set up i want to get. tomorrow i will probably be picking up stock 4 stock wheels for 50 bucks, and im going to paint them black. on mooneyes i found bullet caps similar to these that i will get, then get some chrome lugnuts. and finally i will have to get some narrow white walls.

1109mt-02+under-construction-1977-620-datsun+rear-angle.jpg

i met up with the guy i bought my truck from the other day, he showed me this

521infield.jpg

my truck in a field, thats how it was when he bought it

a bit different now? :)

DSC03439.jpg

he also told me that he used to own 2 521s with rotary engines in them when he lived in california. pretty cool guy, im going to keep in touch with him

• 1 month later...