1971 521

jon521

if you do get the 620 you'll probably need to steal the front half of the driveshaft as well as the carrier bearing too. the stock 4 speed bolts to the driveshaft whereas in the 620, it slides in. should you choose to go that route you'll have to move the carrier bearing mount forward an inch or two. as far as the transmission mount, you need to take exactly 2 inches out of it but be careful to keep it lined up otherwise. if it's taller or shorter it won't hold at the right angle and it'll chew your shit up. that stupid piece of metal is the thing that's kept me from driving mine so far. i wish i had a welder. sad.gif anyway, the only reason i know this is because hessianben did it first lol. 'ere you go. http://community.rat...oo/page__st__60

http://community.rat...ny-into-my-521/

kudos for going to the trouble to keep the 521 on the road rather than going with the 620. another one saved. do some reading around the forums on the l series. they seem to be bulletproof if taken care of. do a compression check if you want to feel better about it, that way you have an idea as to what you're working with. if it starts, idles, and doesn't smoke it's probably good to go. who knows? you might get a nice surprise.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/

• Like 1
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you do get the 620 you'll probably need to steal the front half of the driveshaft as well as the carrier bearing too. the stock 4 speed bolts to the driveshaft whereas in the 620, it slides in. should you choose to go that route you'll have to move the carrier bearing mount forward an inch or two. as far as the transmission mount, you need to take exactly 2 inches out of it but be careful to keep it lined up otherwise. if it's taller or shorter it won't hold at the right angle and it'll chew your shit up. that stupid piece of metal is the thing that's kept me from driving mine so far. i wish i had a welder. sad.gif anyway, the only reason i know this is because hessianben did it first lol. 'ere you go. http://community.rat...oo/page__st__60

http://community.rat...ny-into-my-521/

kudos for going to the trouble to keep the 521 on the road rather than going with the 620. another one saved. do some reading around the forums on the l series. they seem to be bulletproof if taken care of. do a compression check if you want to feel better about it, that way you have an idea as to what you're working with. if it starts, idles, and doesn't smoke it's probably good to go. who knows? you might get a nice surprise.

http://community.rat...sun-datsun-521/

sweet thanks man. the 620 i was planning on getting sold already, but im going to keep looking for a running L20b with a 5 speed that i can pull and put in my truck. if i move the carrier bearing back more, wont that mess with the back half of my drive line? i will go through and read those links. Thanks again for the advice! Hope you get yours on the road soon

just read those, very helpful! it got me all excited to go work on my truck! thanks again

Edited by jon521
  • 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a 5 speed long shaft and L20b with a W58 head on it last night :)

i will post pictures once i take some

but it came with the smog manifolds, which i dont like. i have 2 intake manifolds, one says A86, the other says W53 and is on a 210, can i either use it on my W58 head?

and it didnt come with a clutch, but it came with a 300mm, 6 bolt, flywheel that says A87 on it. it is not the flywheel that was original on the engine (because the engine had an auto on it). i am not sure what clutch to get for it, any help?

it also came with an AC unit :D but i will probably take that off, also a matchbox dizzy, and i scored some bumperettes for $20 :D

DSC03363.jpg

a little rough, but cant beat 20 bucks eh?

Edited by jon521
  • Like 1

im probably just going to clean em up and put them on. the one on the right, its right bracket is not attached to the bumper at all right now, i guess i will just check the other one and see where it mounts. also, to fit the 521, i looks like i will have to build a bracket to make them work. if i mounted them to the frame how they are, the tail lights are in the way.

im hoping one of my intake manifolds will fit the W58 head, i really dont want to use the smog manifolds.

im probably just going to clean em up and put them on. the one on the right, its right bracket is not attached to the bumper at all right now, i guess i will just check the other one and see where it mounts. also, to fit the 521, i looks like i will have to build a bracket to make them work. if i mounted them to the frame how they are, the tail lights are in the way.

im hoping one of my intake manifolds will fit the W58 head, i really dont want to use the smog manifolds.

I beleave you can use the square outlet exhaust manifold on the round exhaust hole head, I did it, but I don't know how long the gasket will last, if i was you I would set it up and run it with the square outlet exhaust mani. for now to get it going, in the meantime I would find an earlier head with square exhaust ports, have it checked out and rebuild if needed, and install when done. I think I used a L16 exhaust manifold on a W58 head for 6 months, till the W53 head I had modified was completed.

I beleave you can use the square outlet exhaust manifold on the round exhaust hole head, I did it, but I don't know how long the gasket will last, if i was you I would set it up and run it with the square outlet exhaust mani. for now to get it going, in the meantime I would find an earlier head with square exhaust ports, have it checked out and rebuild if needed, and install when done. I think I used a L16 exhaust manifold on a W58 head for 6 months, till the W53 head I had modified was completed.

sweet, so that will work for a bit. and i can use one of my intake manifolds on it? i have one that says A86 and one that says W53 that is on a 210 head.

sweet, so that will work for a bit. and i can use one of my intake manifolds on it? i have one that says A86 and one that says W53 that is on a 210 head.

You need to use the intake mani that has the intake size holes that match the head, you can use the smaller sized intake, but the engine will have issues breathing at higher rpms. I have an intake that says U87, so these numbers mean nothing to me, but mine the intake and exhaust are connected, I may use the setup to get my project running, but dual SU type carbs are in the future. Look at both intakes, use the one with the biggest holes, that's what I would do if I had no other choice. As I said in the previous post, I would find the best square port head you can find and rebuild it and put it on the engine after you know the engine is good, I don't know how long the square port manifold gasket/exhaust mani combo will last on a round port head, mine lasted long enough to get the better head rebuilt. I am a fan of closed chamber heads(peanut head), but from the sound of it, there isn't enough of a differance between open and closed heads in power to make a differance except on a track, or for bragging rights.

is there any way to tell if its open or closed without taking the head off?

W53 heads are closed, U67 heads are open, 219 &V912(desirable and hard to find) are also closed I beleave, otherwise I don't think so. There was an A87 at the foster pick&pull last week, you would have to pull it to find out, but there are a lot of guys on here that have heads sitting around, all I have on the shelves right now is a 210, and two W58 peanut heads.

sweet. i will keep an eye out for one, but in the mean time, i will get my stock exhaust manifold to work, and one of the intake manifolds to work. i will start a project thread on my swap as soon as i start prepping the engine. i will hopefully start pulling my engine next week. school starts next week, and i will be doing my swap at the school shop. we have a 2 post lift, cherry picker, welders, big air compressor, and plenty more stuff so it will be great to do it there.

NIce truck love the color. I have had two one little green and white one. Tey always seem to have carb trouble. I can never find a rebuilt that works well for more than a couple of months.

I see seeral have mentioned a weber? What model weber? Mine is garage kept has 75k orginal miles dash pad is perfect, has AC and has a camper shell. Well post pictures soon.

NIce truck love the color. I have had two one little green and white one. Tey always seem to have carb trouble. I can never find a rebuilt that works well for more than a couple of months.

I see seeral have mentioned a weber? What model weber? Mine is garage kept has 75k orginal miles dash pad is perfect, has AC and has a camper shell. Well post pictures soon.

Welcome to Ratsun, photos would be nice, we really like photos. :lol:

ya a weber dgv series or dfv series 2 barrel carbs. some people say the dfv are wrong, but mine works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...