• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thinking about buying a shotgun for home security in Cali, haven't had a chance to do much research but i'd like to see what types of shotguns you guys have and the pros and cons of it, suggestions and price range. I have yet to do the background check but I know it will come back clean so that's not an issue thanks in advance to any of you who reply :thumbup:

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Two best pump guns you can get your hands on. If you want to go the less expensive route but a maverick 88, its 90% a Mossberg 500. I have a maverick and it performs almost exactly like my buddies Mossberg.

Mossberg will run you $300-400 Remington will be about the same and a maverick will be just over half that.

• Like 1

Mossberg 590 if you don't want to pay for semi-auto.

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Two best pump guns you can get your hands on. If you want to go the less expensive route but a maverick 88, its 90% a Mossberg 500. I have a maverick and it performs almost exactly like my buddies Mossberg.

Mossberg will run you $300-400 Remington will be about the same and a maverick will be just over half that.

Would you guys mind posting some pics, I know I could search them but I'm stepping away from the laptop for a bit to tend to the kids lol. Nvm I'm not going to be that guy I'll look them up when I get back and see if they're CA compliant as well. My wife and I need to find time and get to a range so we can get some experience and have a better feel for what I want to purchase

Don't mind spending money to protect my family but I don't want to break the bank trying to do that I think nothingmore than $600 is fair. I'd like to have more than one shot before reloading lol.

If you want cheap and simple get an h&r single shot .410, one shot then use it as a club.

And another vote for Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip (if you insist on a shotgun). 

500-cruiser-HS-left.jpg

My wife and I need to find time and get to a range so we can get some experience and have a better feel for what I want to purchase

Can you shoot a shotgun at a range? Never tried that...

• Like 2

I've actually bought almost all my guns from a sporting goods store.  :thumbup:

Lol that's cool, my best friend actually bought a rifle from one as well and he said it kicks like a mule. I thought quality would be a little different vs a actual gun store

And another vote for Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip (if you insist on a shotgun). 

500-cruiser-HS-left.jpg

Can you shoot a shotgun at a range? Never tried that...

That looks sweet, I'm leaning towards a shotgun because it's more of a point and shoot and a better chance at hitting an intruder and I want my wife to be able to use it ti defend herself and our daughters when I'm not around. Not sure about shooting one in a range never been never even fired a real gun...BUT this world is too fucked up for me to not be protecting my family without a firearm. I'd rather have it and never have to use it than not have it and be in a situation where I wish I had one

I'm leaning towards a shotgun because it's more of a point and shoot and a better chance at hitting an intruder and I want my wife to be able to use it ti defend herself and our daughters when I'm not around

I don't care for them just because something that long seems like it would be a bit unwieldy to use indoors? I've shot a few hundred pistols a few thousand times. I've shot a shotgun at a clay shoot once.     ^_^

And my wife is a good shot with the pistol I keep in the dresser. I made sure of that.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I don't care for them just because something that long seems like it would be a bit unwieldy to use indoors? And I've shot a few hundred pistols a few thousand times, so...   ^_^

And my wife is a good shot with the pistol I keep in the dresser. I made sure of that.  :thumbup:

Lol well I plan on us trying both out whenever we go, my wife doesn't do too well under pressure in my eyes when it comes to making split second decisions but who knows she may end up being a good shot

Most women are good shots, at least in my experience. Having never fired a gun before I suggest finding someone (like a member here) to take you out shooting. Or find a range that allows you to try or rent guns at the range.

• Like 1

Most women are good shots, at least in my experience. Having never fired a gun before I suggest finding someone (like a member here) to take you out shooting. Or find a range that allows you to try or rent guns at the range.

My two daughters are excelent shots!  Especially with close range pistols!  My wife is close behind.  The trick is finding a firearm that can be safely stored yet can be activated in case of emergency without big brother inposed regulations like "lock them up and try to remember where the key is while they break into your house. " Squat, point, aim for the belly button always works!"  If they can escape [Gut shot, Balls shot off or Heart and Lungs shot], they have to go to an emergency room.  "Shit and Blood don't mix" to quote my friend's Marine Corps instructor.

Avoid big calibers.  .22 Magnum Hollow points or .380 Automatic are good starter calibers.  Also they usually won't go through the walls and endanger your meighbors!

• Like 1

Avoid big calibers.  .22 Magnum Hollow points or .380 Automatic are good starter calibers.  Also they usually won't go through the walls and endanger your meighbors!

this is why i started with a 9mm

• Like 2

In my experience, most hollow points won't go through exterior walls, so a 9mm or .40 should be safe. But a .380 is a good round for the ladies.   B)

a .380 is a good round for the ladies.   B)

Just watch out for the tiny "Mouse Guns" because every one I have ever shot required a real "Gorilla Grip" to keep them from stove-pipe jamming.  They just don't have the mass to absorb the recoil trying to work the action.  Almost any amount of "limp wrist" and you might as well have a single-shot gun... in my experience.

Just watch out for the tiny "Mouse Guns" because every one I have ever shot required a real "Gorilla Grip" to keep them from stove-pipe jamming.  They just don't have the mass to absorb the recoil trying to work the action.  Almost any amount of "limp wrist" and you might as well have a single-shot gun... in my experience.

Then there is the Erma version of the "Baby Luger" in .380 Auto [i don't know about the .32ACP or later .22LR versions]!  The grip angle is pure Luger and the mass of the recoiling toggle bolt is just right!  My wife and 2 daugherts had no problem hitting the target or failing to feed.

Aside!  I took my Erma "Baby" to the LAPD range in San  Pedro many years ago.  By luck it was the day the SoCal Luger fraternity was shooting.  You would not believe the variations in Lugers being shot!  The only thing missing from the "usual" variations was the Shounder stock Carbine version.  That being said, there was a great silence when I unleashed my Erma!  I went down reage to check my target.  When I returned there was a great circle around my pistol!  I had the explain that it was NOT one of the original 13 documented true Baby Lugers!  I showed them the ERMA markings and proof marks so that I could get on with my sighting-in process.  The collectors were very much disappointed!