Anti-Theft

Keep the manual choke and tune it so the car starts with the choke on only.

Someone tried to steal my car back when the PO had it. He woke up to the door open on the car. Then he saw that the ignition was knocked off the column. When he tried to start the car it barely even clicked once. The thieves tried to hotwire it, but killed the battery cuz the car wouldnt start without the choke engaged.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple things I have to prevent theft:

1. Hidden starter button:

I removed the entire circuit from my key switch ignition for my starter relay and installed a under-dash push start button.

2. Keyed battery kill switch

I have a hidden battery kill switch like this one that cuts power to the whole car with a removable key:

Battery Switch

3. Hidden coil ground switch

I also have a hidden toggle switch that un-grounds my coil. Not easy to find that the wiring has been modified.

I'm not sure of everyone's law's but I heard that in Washington the person has to actually 'start' you car for them to be convicted of GTA and that alot of the muscle car guys put the kill switch on a fuel pump so they start the car and pull away only to have it die on the street. This may lead to a conviction but I'm concerned with the least possible damage to my vehicle if a theft attempt is made! If you put your kill switch on the fuel pump and the thief gets onto the road with it and it dies so he abandons it, the car is sitting in the middle of the road while I'm asleep/gone! With my set-up I'm confidant they would get frustrated/run our of time and give up :)

alot of the muscle car guys put the kill switch on a fuel pump so they start the car and pull away only to have it die on the street. This may lead to a conviction but I'm concerned with the least possible damage to my vehicle if a theft attempt is made! If you put your kill switch on the fuel pump and the thief gets onto the road with it and it dies so he abandons it, the car is sitting in the middle of the road while I'm asleep/gone! With my set-up I'm confidant they would get frustrated/run our of time and give up :)

Good Point I Guess I Will Also Add A Coil Switch

I use a hidden switch for the electric fuel pump,the Club on the steering wheel and a car cover when it sits in the driveway.If you have a 2 door 510 put some sort of bailing wire on your 1/4 window latches that seems to be an easy place to pry open a window.The two times my car has been fucked with they attempted to pry open the 1/4 windows.The first time they got them open but couldnt start the car ,there was no battery in it.The second time the 1/4 windows were wired shut and all they could do was some minor dinging and scratching near the latch.

• 3 weeks later...

My car is so butt ass ugly no one has even ever tried to break in. I imagine they figure if I'm so broke I drive a hoopty like that that I probably don't have anything worth stealing. However, I probably ought to do something just in case. Like that tazer club but they don't sell them anymore.

If you have an old mechanical distributor, remove the rotor from inside the distributor cap and put it in your pocket. Worked during WW@ on the Jeep!

Sometimes, when I dont like the place I put the rotor in my pocket too haha simple, cheap and effective.

Couple things I have to prevent theft:

1. Hidden starter button:

I removed the entire circuit from my key switch ignition for my starter relay and installed a under-dash push start button.

2. Keyed battery kill switch

I have a hidden battery kill switch like this one that cuts power to the whole car with a removable key:

Battery Switch

3. Hidden coil ground switch

I also have a hidden toggle switch that un-grounds my coil. Not easy to find that the wiring has been modified.

I'm not sure of everyone's law's but I heard that in Washington the person has to actually 'start' you car for them to be convicted of GTA and that alot of the muscle car guys put the kill switch on a fuel pump so they start the car and pull away only to have it die on the street. This may lead to a conviction but I'm concerned with the least possible damage to my vehicle if a theft attempt is made! If you put your kill switch on the fuel pump and the thief gets onto the road with it and it dies so he abandons it, the car is sitting in the middle of the road while I'm asleep/gone! With my set-up I'm confidant they would get frustrated/run our of time and give up :)

what about hidding a switch behind the lighter? I had this installed in my car that killed the coil, when you press down the lighter it kills the coil and one more activates it. I will take some pics because I also added a blinking LED.

In my Z (70 240) there is a switch under the temp controlls mounted on the drivers side of the center column. It is right about where your right knee would be, completely hidden unless you are looking for it. It controls the antenna up or down, im wiring it to be a kill switch instead. I live in a low crime area, im more worried about my window being broken and stuff being stolen out of it than the car being stolen, but Im doing it just incase I ever go to a shady area.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a topic up my alley! I am in the process of designing a theft deterrent system. I will update the progress as it comes along. Basically I want it simple but unique. I thinking of incorporating accerometers (for vibration and unauthorized change in location), pressure switches, internal motion detectors, etc. Could incorporate a simple password entry or remote entry. Of course it would tie into ignition, horn, lights etc.

Perhaps that is overkill, but I am paranoid and it sounds like a fun project for an uncoming electrical engineer.

One side note of EXTRA paranoia, if I knew a car had an alarm system I may try to cut the main battery cable to temperarily disable electrical. Granted this would be VERY difficult in some situations, but some car alarms have a small backup battery that triggers when the main battery goes.

Convicting them of grand theft auto will usually never happen unless they are caught by the police while driving. If they get away with a running car, its typically gone for good. Only exception is if they are so stupid that they keep driving the car for a few days like when Dillon saw Skip's stolen 510.

Just kill it good. No start. :)

I did the fuel pump kill switch and it saved a Z once.

Place a toggle switch in the black wire with the white stripe under the dash from the ignition key unit. Trust me, this works. :D

I wouldn't reccomend that for anyone with a EFI motor swap ........ ... .. Most of my KA harness is powered by that wire

My old 510 had a toggle switch for the ground at the coil ....... or the ground to the dizzy...... if it's a matchbox

I like the classic... "take the rotor out of the dizzy ......... put it in your pocket . ........ and then put the dizzy cap back on, so it looks normal"

I want a 45 second timer on my fuel pump ........ :cool:

For stereos most stereos have have a screw hole in the back because some cars mount the stereo like that. Well make a bracket and screw teh stereo in.

I agree that would be a good idea, but some piece of trash broke into my car years ago. It was screwed in. When he couldn't pry it out with a screw driver he got mad at me and just jammed the screw driver in the CD slot and broke it. What a jerk I was not to let him take it with ease. angry.gif

Just make sure whatever theft deterrent you make, don't post pictures or explain too well, or it may be self-defeating! :D I like my system. A myriad of toggle switches to turn on various items, no key, a push button start, and a hidden main ignition cut that piggybacks off the main switch. If you don't know where to look for it, you ain't going to find it.

• Like 1

Just make sure whatever theft deterrent you make, don't post pictures or explain too well, or it may be self-defeating! :D I like my system. A myriad of toggle switches to turn on various items, no key, a push button start, and a hidden main ignition cut that piggybacks off the main switch. If you don't know where to look for it, you ain't going to find it.

X2!