Datsun hunt stories?

So I have been eyeing this 620 thats in a field with a bunch of junkers for a while now. I see it every day too and from work. Well I have been waiting for a good time to knock on the door. Today I was on my way home and finally decided to stop and ask if the owner wanted to sell it. As I walked to the door I had to go through a gate that was COVERED in "beware of dog" and "no trespassing" signs. There was so many old cars and trailers I barely found the house. I was constantly looking all around for a vicious dog. I finally got to the house and no one answered tho I swear I herd someone in there. I was so freaked out I got back in my truck and split without leaving a note or anything, I still want to find out about that truck and I will probably be going back tomorrow. :unsure: it was a very spooky house and out in the country and I swear there was a noose hanging from the tree. :unsure: Anyways anyone else have any other datsun hunt stories?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where there is a 69 2 door 510 in portland, I stopped there like 3 weeks in a row left a note on the door and under the wiper never got a call back it looked like its been sitting for a few years. My buddy stopped by there about a month later and I guess the kid won't sell it but if you don't try you will never know

There was this 620 in this parking lot for a year or more and I wanted to ask if the man would sell it. It was just like my truck but with a better body. I left notes and shit and one day I seen someone trying to move it. I pulled over and asked... Is this truck for sale? NOOOO!... Well do you need help?..... No. I got it. So I just got on my car and left. I bet its just rusting elsewhere.... I bet he moved it from all the people asking if it was for sale!!!! LOL!

i was living in graham washington, to get to my trailer court, you had to turn onto this road, then take an immediate right. I lived there for over a year or so. Well one day i decided to go for a bike ride with one of the kiddos down the road to see where it led to. I knew it was a dead end, just wanted to check it out.

So we go cruising down there, and there it was! a 1977 King cab, gayomatic. just sitting with 2ft grass around it. Knocked, but nobody was home. Came back a few days later and knocked again. This old man come walkin out, and i asked about the datsun. He said, it was my son in laws, he is a tweaker, and left it here 4 years ago when he lost his license. I divorced his mom, and never seen him again. If you want it, drag it out and its yours. No paperwork!

So, i drug it out and took it home. Couldn't get it started, and didn't want to deal with the paperwork so i let it go. I put it up on craigs list and someone came and swooped it up for 150 dollars. Been trying to find it, but haven't seen anyone on ratsun with it so far. Heres some pictures.

It was actually in pretty good shape, and YES, I STILL KICK MYSELF IN THE ASS FOR SELLING THIS.

datsun003.jpg

datsun002.jpg

datsun001.jpg

datsunengine002.jpg

datsunengine001.jpg

datsun005.jpg

datsun004.jpg

Guest kamakazi620

Same story on how I got mine,my buddy Ryan was sellin' his truck and I wanted it but $600 was a little to steep for the truck,months later I ask him what happend to the truck? he said it's up the road I think Dudes gonna part it out,I left a note on the wiper and Dude calls me Next day,says its missing the carb an' cd player and he wants $300 bucks for it,I got my first unemployment check for like $400 bucks payed Dude an' had Ryan get a flatbed an' trailer me home.The rest is History!!

• Like 2

I've had my eye on this 79 KC for awhile (2 or 3 yrs)with only 52,000 original miles. one day I decide to go see if it was still there, it was gone so I went and talked to the PO and found out that they had given it away to their son. When I got back into the trk, my Gson said look over there, in the car port was a 521 so I watched it for awhile and one time while checking on it, it was out on the street so I talk to the owner and struck a deal with him for $300. and drove it home. Now it's my Gson 1st Datsun and he is loving it.

IMG_1533-2.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

since he's owned it, he's pulled the barn mirrors off, gave the bed a good cleaning and wash, in a couple of weeks were going to work on the brakes and get a heater put in it. and if we have time, were going to lower it 2 or 3".... sauweeeet

and it still has the original paint on it, now that is RARE.

i was living in graham washington, to get to my trailer court, you had to turn onto this road, then take an immediate right. I lived there for over a year or so. Well one day i decided to go for a bike ride with one of the kiddos down the road to see where it led to. I knew it was a dead end, just wanted to check it out.

So we go cruising down there, and there it was! a 1977 King cab, gayomatic. just sitting with 2ft grass around it. Knocked, but nobody was home. Came back a few days later and knocked again. This old man come walkin out, and i asked about the datsun. He said, it was my son in laws, he is a tweaker, and left it here 4 years ago when he lost his license. I divorced his mom, and never seen him again. If you want it, drag it out and its yours. No paperwork!

So, i drug it out and took it home. Couldn't get it started, and didn't want to deal with the paperwork so i let it go. I put it up on craigs list and someone came and swooped it up for 150 dollars. Been trying to find it, but haven't seen anyone on ratsun with it so far. Heres some pictures.

It was actually in pretty good shape, and YES, I STILL KICK MYSELF IN THE ASS FOR SELLING THIS.

datsun003.jpg

datsun002.jpg

datsun001.jpg

datsunengine002.jpg

datsunengine001.jpg

datsun005.jpg

datsun004.jpg

That minty dash is worth that. lol.

I guess lesson learned huh.

A old lady almost sprayed mace in my face because I ran up to her car as she was driving out of a parking lot,,,, and then I asked her to, "roll down the window."

She hardly cracked the window,,,, and looked very frightened.......

I asked, "Do you want to sell your Datsun?" ...... she rolled up the window and said, "No" .. while shaking her head, and driving away....

She almost ran over my foot.....

A couple years later I was driving my 510 and saw her old grandma blue 2dr again.....

I waited in the parking lot for an hour,,,, and parked my 510 right next to hers...

She looked very frightened again,, until I showed her my 510........ then she smiled and said, "No I don't want to sell it!"

So I gave her my phone number and have never heard from her again........... I think this might be the car Derux has now:

ratsum.JPG

I crawled under that car and there was NO rust....... the old lady must of had it in a garage for 30 years

the second time I saw it,,,, it had a dent on the passenger front fender..... kinda big dent..... was that it DeRux???

Old lady from SF near Ocean Beach....... automatic..... 2dr

Guest kamakazi620

A old lady almost sprayed mace in my face because I ran up to her car as she was driving out of a parking lot,,,, and then I asked her to, "roll down the window."

She hardly cracked the window,,,, and looked very frightened.......

I asked, "Do you want to sell your Datsun?" ...... she rolled up the window and said, "No" .. while shaking her head, and driving away....

She almost ran over my foot.....

A couple years later I was driving my 510 and saw her old grandma blue 2dr again.....

I waited in the parking lot for an hour,,,, and parked my 510 right next to hers...

She looked very frightened again,, until I showed her my 510........ then she smiled and said, "No I don't want to sell it!"

So I gave her my phone number and have never heard from her again........... I think this might be the car Derux has now:

ratsum.JPG

I crawled under that car and there was NO rust....... the old lady must of had it in a garage for 30 years

the second time I saw it,,,, it had a dent on the passenger front fender..... kinda big dent..... was that it DeRux???

Old lady from SF near Ocean Beach....... automatic..... 2dr

I'm a creepy wierdo but DAMN son Creepin' out a Grandma!!!!!! J/K

• Like 1

mine isnt really an amazing story but I'd been looking for a datsun roadster since I was 12.. Every one I'd found had been at the 10k mark.. I seen one in the paper for 1000 dollars, I called the guy and it had been sold.. A few years later an ad pops up on craigslist and I find it was the same roadster for sale.. The guy that bought it never finished it.. Turns out he was just 1 block from my house and wanted 600 for it.. after a little talking my dad offers him 400 for me and he takes it.. We load it up and bring it home (I was 19 at the time, it took me that long to find one lol)

Once found a 1959 Datsun 1000 with original paint/engine for sale in a very rough part of Redwood City, CA. Was so excited about getting the car. Finally found the address for the towyard (which doubled for a residence), and there sitting under a tree in the nasty muddy front yard was the Datsun.

Jumped out of my car to walk up to the tow yard's front door and also check out the car on the front lawn. Half way up the lawn,a freakin' vicious pit bull on a long chain comes running at me, full throttle, on the attack. I I ran for my life and jumped back into my car!! My cell phone was just about dead, but had just enough juice for two or three more calls. Kept calling the towyard, to let them know I had arrived, but there was no one picking up. I kept calling till the cell phone was dead, yet still no answer. I was only 40 feet away from one of the rarest Datsuns around, yet I couldn't get to it without being mauled.

I finally found another entrance around the back of the residence, which was just out of the range of the pitbull. On the door , it had a sign....

BEWARE - PITBULL WITH AIDS

Yeah, the owners were a bunch of characters. I opted to pass on purchasing this car....

the g00n wasnt so much of a hunt as it was patience.

1995: been w/o a 510 for ~2yrs and was looking. i was working at an electronics store when this mechanic comes in looking for a switch for something. after grilling him on what its purpose was, he divulged he was repiring a 510!

2 seconds later he had the switch needed.

i asked if he owned it and said NO, it was a customers.

i gave him my number and he left.

about 8mos later i see a green g00n roll up to the store and immediately go out to check it out. the driver says, you must be the guy im looking for! :o :cool:

i bought it right there! saved it from being sold to the state, at the time offereing $500, so thats what i paid.

had the original L16 and ~$3000 worth of tune up bills from the gas station. about every other month for tweeking the points!

his daughter had been driving to HS and was graduating and didnt want to drive it back east... thank you very much!

had just rolled over 100K, so the ODO read 000931 mi, its since rolled over 1 more time.

datsun003.jpg

datsun002.jpg

datsun001.jpg

datsunengine002.jpg

datsunengine001.jpg

datsun005.jpg

datsun004.jpg

well izzo kick yourself again....maybe even a couple times

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

mine is a weird story.

i was on a cabriolet site that i frequent, i have had 5 cabriolets so shut up, and a freind of mine was in chat. so i pop in to say hi and he asks me if i wanted a Datsun. i told him "If its not a 510, i'm not interested." he got all sad and said it wasn't a dime but a 620. so i goggled it and saw what it was. so i showed my wife and told her i had wanted one for YEARS but didn't know what it was. so i told my buddy i would come up and look at it.

3 days later i headed up to his place in Sedro-Wooley and thank god i brought a nissan buddy of mine. he told me if i didn't buy it he would. well my wife basically looked at it on the way in the driveway and said i could have it! so $400 cash then and then a $100 payment 2 weeks later and she was mine. no temp guage, no oil light, over heating, barely any brakes, mis matched wheels but new tires, and it ran decent but no real power. it needed a brake adjustment, new radiator, new points, and just normal maintnence.

since i have owned it, i have done a clutch, motor swap (L16-L20B), repaired the front core support TWICE, new (used) wheels, removed the rear bumper, weber carb, EI, radiator, dropped the front end, fixed the brakes and installed an ANCIENT Sony 2 knob AM/FM cassette radio and an H4/H1 headlight combo. i have many more plans for it eventually but for now its gonna stay how it is.

My story...

So I was on the search for a first car. I decided if I was going to have an import it HAD to be RWD. That was a requirement. I knew how much of a fucking pain it is to work on some FWD cars. I started looking at old mustangs, camaro, things of that nature. I'm a real big fan of American Muscle. I was with my brother one day when we raced a Z32 300ZX and that was the day that my love for Nissan's blossomed. I started looking for old Nissan's and shit. Found tons of old 300ZX's that I almost bought until the owner sold to someone else. The a friend told me of someone he knew that was selling a 280Z turbo for $200. Friend got arrested and the car was gone by the time he checked in on it. Then I started scouring craigslist for Datsun's and I came accross the "B210" as the owner called it. Drove out there and picked it up for $550 and brought it home and it's been a pain in our ass since then. lol

Everyone tells me its just a piece of shit beater, but I think my Sunny is beautiful and I cherish it and take care of it, and it's slowly becoming what I want it to be. My response to them is always "yeah, but it's my little beater." The whole tire falling off thing didn't really help my argument that it wasn't a piece of crap. And I mean, how do you explain the love of a Datsun to someone who really doesn't feel the same love for Datsun's? You really have to own one to understand that Datsun's are a lifestyle.

The car is a pain in my parents ass and I love it. Hell, I even had a code enforcement officer called out shortly after it rolled into the driveway to harass us about it.

"If you love something, set it free.

If it comes back, it was meant to be.

If it doesn't, HUNT IT DOWN AND KILL IT!!!"

IMAG0799.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

Edited by metalmonkey47

1982 280zx turbo, I really wasn't looking for one but saw it with a for sale sign on it, original paint, no rust, turbo shot but it was mine for $1600.

1973 240z, really wasn't looking for one, saw it in the paper- 85k miles, doesn't run sat for 14 yrs, $500. I wasn't even going to go look at it, but I kept looking at the phone number and it had my prefix, kept thinking about it all day. When I got home I decided to call. Someone was there looking at it and trying to start it. He told me to call back in 20 mins. Called back in 10 and he said it was a parts car. I told him I would like to check it out anyway, the other guy didn't want it. I drove the 2 miles to the house, checked the body for rust and any other problems. I didn't bother trying to start it. It was mine for $500. On cars this old you don't care if it runs or not, you need a good base to start with.

1978 620 kingcab, Yes i really was looking for one, I wanted a kingcab and 78-79 preferred. One deal fell through, then saw this one 250 miles away. It had a fuel leak, respray, and had been sitting since august. The guy wanted $400, he sent pics and i said if he would hold it till I looked at it and liked it I would pay $600. He did, I did and now have it. The fuel leak was a hose and it runs smooth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Same story on how I got mine,my buddy Ryan was sellin' his truck and I wanted it but $600 was a little to steep for the truck,months later I ask him what happend to the truck? he said it's up the road I think Dudes gonna part it out,I left a note on the wiper and Dude calls me Next day,says its missing the carb an' cd player and he wants $300 bucks for it,I got my first unemployment check for like $400 bucks payed Dude an' had Ryan get a flatbed an' trailer me home.The rest is History!!

you did me a favor taking that truck off my hands! I used the weber on my 'goon,and my oldest daughter got the stereo. I had bought it for parts,but couldn't bring myself to take it apart(it was in too good of shape). i seriously thought about fixing it up,maybe cutting the top off for a roadster pickup,or something like that. I only drove it once,from Dave ( & Ryan's) house to mine. the total lack of brakes scared the crap out of me! my landlord started F---ing harassing me almost daily about all the cars i had sitting around (4 at that time),and i'd found a set of SU's i wanted to buy,but needed some cash. glad to see you still have it and are enjoying it,and amazed that you drive it all over as much as you seem to with the brakes like that(hopefully you got that fixed somehow,i couldn't find the parts when i had it,and i was working in the parts business then) good luck with your 'goon! i looked at that one a few years ago,even sent some pics to Dave at the time. it belonged to a buddy of a co-worker/friend of mine from Tonkin parts center. i don't know how to weld,so i passed,but it was in great shape for the most part.