Fisch bought a 1959!!!

Indeed! I have thought about the 1935 chevy artilery wheels on it! The problem would be that those wheels are 17" and you can only get really tall tires for them because they are so skinny. I don't think they'd clear on this tiny thing. But you better believe I will bolt one up and check it out!!

(For those wondering what Mike and I are talking about I will attach some pics.)

But I have thought of buying 15" ones from Rally America, The sell a 15"X5 in our bolt pattern, and they are only $135 ea! http://www.rallyamerica.com/artillary.html

That totally would be an option!

MyArtilleryColor.jpg

MyWheels.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At $135ea....I think that cost would definitely put you in the price range of doing whatever necessary to put on the exact wheels you want. If you find the rims you want in 5 lug...you could have the hubs modified or the machine work done to make those wheels work.

I'll keep your challenge in mind when I start working on Jerry's '59. ...but...right now...I need to go round up tools/supplies for today's project ;)

Yeah I think redrilling/replacing the hubs will be the way to go. There are alot of awesome skinny hotrod tires out there and almost none of them are 6 lug!! Halibrand Salts, torq thrusts.

The question would be what is the ideal lug pattern? 4X114.3 (which would get me into JDM wheels, but not 5 spoke stuf) or 5X4.5 which I think alot of american muscle is spaced at? I think alot will depend on how shot the axles in it are. If I have to replace the entire axle, it would make the options alot easier to achieve, but alot more expensive!

Hmmm I see that the roadster rear axle trackwidth is within a inch of the '59. And the whelbase is about 2 1/4 inches longer than the '59. (Though I would keep the straight front axle the 59 comes with.) Mike has me thinking about a 1600 roadster engine, which is arguably the prettiest Datsun engine. Maybe find a rusted out roadster for a driveline doaner?

Rally america is another HAMBer. They can probably make the wheel skinnier by special order. And yes I too thought about those artiliarys but I already had the chrome smoothies made a few years before these came to exist.

• 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo! Just talked to the transporter and this puppy should be here tomorrow afternoon! How am I going to sleep tonight?

He was saying how much attention that thing brought him on the trip. A lot of older dudes actually knew what it was. One guy said he had one and had put a 350 SBC with a turbo trans in it and tubbed the rear. Said the 350 would just fit between the front fenders with some small firewall mods and some reworking for the radiator. But I don't know if it was just truck stop talk. I don;t plan on a SBC though, I want it all Japanese.

He said the body is really solid, barely any rust! Says there is still paint on the frame! Though it will need some creases and bumps banged out in the trunk area and rear fenders.

The bad news is that the front windshield was cracked to the point it will have to be replaced. Ugh. Also some of the back door side glass is gone. The rear windshield was falling out so he put it on the front seat to preserve it. I will have to figure out new seals for this thing!

I will start a proper project thread when it gets here and I can photo document the hell out of it!