Fisch bought a 1959!!!

:oHey there - just curious about whether you acquired car on ebay or not. We were trying to buy this car from the lady in NM on craigslist and then she decided to ebay it - but we could not find it over teh last weeks until I saw your request for shipping online.

Glad you got something you had waited so long for, and hope it stays pretty original as you said you might decide to do.

Just trying to close the story on finding this car for myself and a friend - curious to know what and how on the car.

sadie10023

Hey Sadie! I figured there were a few more of us out there looking for it! You are right, the lady decided to pull the CL ad and sell on ebay. I was looking at ebay every second of the day for it to pop up and stayed in touch with the son who had listed it on CL. Eventually the owner decided not to sell it on Ebay and they offered it to me first (Thankfully) and I jumped on it instantly.

Even after she pulled the CL ad I shared my Datsun art with them, especially the '59 art, and my love for it. The son also knew my illustration work for books and games and stuff and had been to my website prior to all of this starting up. (Or I should say his girlfriend knew my work.) So when the owner decided to sell it outright, she told her son, "Sell it to the Artist fellow, he'll take good care of it." She was really awesome!

I even sent her a signed children's book I illustrated and drew a picture in it.:D

Her father had bought it in 63 and she learned to drive in it. I have the original 63 title, crazy! Rest assured at this point I am planning on keeping it in stock appearance. Not chopping anything. Just want to get it low and give it a little more go!:D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another 59, boring ho hum. There everywhere.:D

The L series will just squeeze in. There is a lip on the firewall that has to be trimmed and you'll have to go with an electric pusher fan. Look at my pics again, we raised the tunnel in my car when we redid it, but the tranny could be forced in there without it. You don't have to tear the car apart to check for rust, most panels are easily accessable. Mine is really only rusty in the rockers below the doors because when the window rubber no longer blocked the water it went inside and came out the seep holes at the bottom of the doors. It was able to puddle there. It's a full frame factory boxed to for the front 2/3rds. I am running the Ford Courier (Mazda) rear and it fits nice. The 720 rears are similar and should fit well.

Great find Fisch,

Find you a 1980 720 with either 5 speed or automatic which ever you prefer. The 1980 720 has the L20B with the electronic distributor. Find a really rusted out one that is free to cheap in price. I buy them in AZ for $50 to $100 each. There is a complete drive train for your 59.

Put your L18 in your truck. I see you driving the 59 more than the truck because your family will fit better. Does your truck have an L motor now? If it does save the oil pan and pick up tube with screen. The L20B oil pan probably will not work. Definitely do disc brakes. Personaly I would go automatic for a family cruiser. And please run a Datsun Valve Cover!!!

Enjoy your rare find.

Charlie

Yeah Fish Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really happy for you. It looks like a way better starting spot that mine. I just took a picture of it today, I'll post it hope you don't mind. It may get a garage soon, my brother (younger!!!) bought a house with a 2 car shop out back, yeah :D

59%20001.JPG

That's how mine sits today.....

So keep doing that research so when it comes time for mine I know where to get all the answers :D

I'm wondering how you are going to lower it, the solid axle is really close to the frame in stock form....

Forgot, it is the C series, all L210 1000s are. The L211 1200 is the first E series ( of 3 variations). The later C came with a slightly different head raising the HP from 34 to 37. And yes ditch the column shifter.

Much to learn guys! Great info guys! Purple, I am sure I will have a millon questions for you as you've dug deeper than anyone on these. Great to hear the l-motor can be shoehorned in there without cutting! And it looks like these have the bolt on trans bell covers in the cab, right?

Iceman, glad to hear you might be getting on your 59! I am not sure how to lower that front. My first thought was to send the axle to mordrop or someone and have them drop that puppy a few inches the old fasioned way!

Or have a custom axle made, some places can do them any length you want. I will have to see how close the spring mounts are to traditional american stuff.

Even thought about switching to a ford single spring setup with hairpins or split bones. Again with a norrowed axle. They might be close in size to the tiny Ford Anglia rods.

I want to tuck tire though! So I think I have to run meat as skinny as the original 5.00X15 tires.

I've thought about running wide tires on the back with a shortened rear axle and extending the rear inner fenderwells into the cab and running a solo seat in the rear for my daughter to ride in! (But that is just imagination on the real list of things to do. After all I don't know how an L would push big rear meats around.)

You guys are getting me all fired up! Too bad I am unloading my 'fun money' on getting this thing bought and shipped! Might be a while before I can really dig in to dropped axles and such, but there is a lot I can do just having the car on hand!! Can't wait for it to get here!

You guys are getting me all fired up! Too bad I am unloading my 'fun money' on getting this thing bought and shipped!

You could always sell some prints to get some cash for the project. Maybe a calander??? :D Has anyone thought of this idea??:lol::lol::lol:

Just take your time and stick to your plans. Don't get so excited that you alter what you WANT.

You could always sell some prints to get some cash for the project. Maybe a calander??? :D Has anyone thought of this idea??:lol::lol::lol:

yes, it has been brought up 2 times, now 3 times about a datsun calender. still waiting for the idea to go to the next level..... how about a poll if it should happen or just talk about it..... :)

Hey now congrats fisch!!!! That's going to be one of VERY few if not the ONLY 1000 in the NE. I honestly don't care how you do it, I know anyway you do will look hot.

Hey now congrats fisch!!!! That's going to be one of VERY few if not the ONLY 1000 in the NE. I honestly don't care how you do it, I know anyway you do will look hot.

Thanks man! I knew you'd appreciate it! Score one for the NE!

I want this one in good enough shape to make some meets in the NE, and in the long run, I want it so sweet I can drive it out to visit my west coast ratsun bros! Canby, JCS, i want to make the rounds!

^^ I hear you! I plan on figuring out what spindles might swap, even if it means changing the lug pattern. I could always have someone like curry narrow a rear end for me if it came to it.

I will be curious how close the straight axle ford and chevy stuff measures to this too. Once it gets here the tape measure will be my friend!

I will totallycheck out Austin (Since nissan produced Austins for a spell before this model, could be close!) Also will look into what is used for the Anglia rods. They are about the same track width as this Datsun

So much to research!

By the way, your 59 has an upgraded engine, they originally came with a 700cc engine like the one my local Torrance Ca dealer had.

By the way, your 59 has an upgraded engine, they originally came with a 700cc engine like the one my local Torrance Ca dealer had.

I think you're right, from the datta sheet I have it looks like it will have a 1000cc 'C' type engine. That baby has 37hp!!!!

What does a 5.125:1 (41x8) rear axle mean for drivability? I don't know my axle ratios very well!

l2102.jpg[/img]

Depends on the transmission ratios, but that's a pretty deep axle ratio. Probably needed with that 37hp powerhouse.

If you put a newer drivetrain in there you'll want to swap the rear as well to match. At the least some 4:10 or lower (numerically). The bigger the number, the lower the top speed.

Edit: I love how they are all 59's :D

Congratulations! With the high availability of Datsuns on the west coast, there are so many projects that get started and then sort of peter out. It's really great to see someone with a singular objective stick to it. Can't wait to see where you go with this.

I'd buy a straight calendar of just Fisch datto art. Only need another 5 or 6 drawings. Something to do while you wait for your '59 to arrive. :D

2eDeYe;199697']

Edit: I love how they are all 59's :D

No doubt! I think I read they restamped the ones that didn't sell in 58. Be curious if that is obvious on the tag in the engine bay!

Acually, if it had a 700cc it was an even older car. The body was similar but things like the dash are different.

A guy here in town has a 58 and he put the L16 in it. Thats how I know how it fits.

As far as all being 59s, most are. A few 58s got the start, but the remaining ones were changed to 59. The few 60s were changed 59s as the true 60s were the 1200 with the first E series. Same body with minor trim and other changes.

yes, it has been brought up 2 times, now 3 times about a datsun calender. still waiting for the idea to go to the next level..... how about a poll if it should happen or just talk about it..... :)

Ya....I KNOW. Just trying to get him to go through with it. HINT HINT!!!

Another little need to know. Just like old Dodges, the right side lug nuts are REVERSE. We wasted almost 10 minutes when we swapped wheels on the stock ones I used to own before figuring it out.

Another little need to know. Just like old Dodges, the right side lug nuts are REVERSE. We wasted almost 10 minutes when we swapped wheels on the stock ones I used to own before figuring it out.

Woah, that is good to know!!! That would've drivin me crazy and I bet I would have broke something! You rock purple.

The right side the passenger side, right?

Edited by fisch