Fisch bought a 1959!!!

Duuuuuudes, just a quick announcement to celebrate. I bought a 1959 Datsun 1000! It is coming from New Mexico to me up in MA, and should be here is 10-14 days! (According to the shipper.)

I will do an official post with all the details and pics when it gets in the drive way, but I have been dying to tell y'all, and I couldn't take it anymore!

I know "pics or it didn't happen!" :fu: Attached are the only pics I have of it. It is a bit of a mystery, but for a '59 you gotta take the chance! And it is from the NM desert where they only get 7" of rain a year, so I have high hopes. The title is in my hand!

3k43pe3l7ZZZZZZZZZ97p120434336a4018.jpg

3nb3o63leZZZZZZZZZ97pca874e4e1c8118.jpg

3nb3k33laZZZZZZZZZ97pbbff1e464e2412.jpg

Edited by fisch
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!!!

In comparing the pics of Canby this year............. The '59 that was on that trailer, are they identical? Also, wasn't there a '59 for sale a while back in California? I wonder how many are left.

Thanks guys! Dream come true. I've been obsessed!

There is a white one with a red roof for sale in Cali off and on, but the owner is looking for 3k for it. Add shipping to that to me in the east, and it got real pricey! (Plus it had a cracked windshield.)

Steroid, are you also thinking of the one that was at Blue Lake? Looks just like this one. 'Cept this one is faded blue. But I am not sure what engine is in this one, could be a 'C' like the one at bluelake. But they also put E-types in the later ones.

This one was practically a one owner! Titled in '63 and in the same family since.

From a sheet I have, they sold 1318 from 58-60. How many in '59 would be a fraction of that I guess. I am totally PSYCHED! It is like a kid waiting for Christmas, me waiting for the shipper!

sbc would be crazy Mike! But I gotta keep it all Jap so I can have a true Jap nostalgia rod.

At the moment I am thinking of putting in the hopped up l18 I bought, and for quick looks, lowering that bad boy over some skinny slots w/ whitewalls till it tucks tires with a slight raked stance.

I thought I was going to go fenderless like the one drawing I did, but after thinking about it, it just doesn't look quite right without fenders. Also I don't want to disguise that it is a Datsun I want to be proud of it. A 30's ford grill is what I planned, but I am having second thoughts now that I own one! (And I can always take that on later if I change my mind!)

Here is a quick and dirty photoshop I did over some slotted mags. (Not a photo of my car though!)

SlottedMags.jpg

So if anything, at the moment it will be more like this art:

datsun-210finishSmall-1.jpg

^^Totally! I will dig in there first. I've been studing up on straight front axles w/ parallel leaf springs (Which this has.) I plan on some painless wiring. I think it is a generator car and positive ground, so I have been schooling myself on converting to an alt and neg ground for the L swap. Firewall will prolly have to be brought in to fit the L. It is column shift! So the trans tunnel will have to be addressed. I have alot to learn about this one for sure!!!

That is a cool little car! That must have been Nissan's more "practical" answer to a VW back in the day (I'm sure you all knew that, but that's the first time I've ever seen one)..

Do it up like that picture, and I wouldn't doubt seeing it in a mag at some point..Especially with those pinstriping skills of yours :cool:

Parts will be a problem, no surprise there. The Datsun dealer in Torrance had one of these [one owner trade-in with original loght blue paint job] that he used to drive in local parades, but he had to stop that since he, as a dealer yet, could not find parts to repair the brakes anywhere in the Datsun parts network. If you have any brake system problems, your best bet would be to scrounge early Austin parts, they could probably be "massaged" to fit and work.

^^ I hear you! I plan on figuring out what spindles might swap, even if it means changing the lug pattern. I could always have someone like curry narrow a rear end for me if it came to it.

I will be curious how close the straight axle ford and chevy stuff measures to this too. Once it gets here the tape measure will be my friend!

I will totallycheck out Austin (Since nissan produced Austins for a spell before this model, could be close!) Also will look into what is used for the Anglia rods. They are about the same track width as this Datsun.

So much to research!

:oHey there - just curious about whether you acquired car on ebay or not. We were trying to buy this car from the lady in NM on craigslist and then she decided to ebay it - but we could not find it over teh last weeks until I saw your request for shipping online.

Glad you got something you had waited so long for, and hope it stays pretty original as you said you might decide to do.

Just trying to close the story on finding this car for myself and a friend - curious to know what and how on the car.

sadie10023

RIGHT ON FISCH!!!! That is SOOO cool you finally found one. Please.......PLEASE!!......transfer your canvas to Jap steel. :cool::cool:

So if anything, at the moment it will be more like this art:

datsun-210finishSmall-1.jpg

EDIT: I, for 1, vote for the use of the stock blue color indstead of the red though.

Edited by Jester